[Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pnicho

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New mods - A work in progress (Picture Heavy!)

Post by pnicho »

I was up Luke's the other week - was looking good - he said you wanted a clean engine bay. Looking good dude.
Moo

Post by Moo »

A few minor updates.

The passenger side loom has been extended and the fuse box is now in the boot. The engine bay has been marked for the bits that are going to be shaved and holes that will be welded over. Once all this is done the engine bay will be painted.

Downpipe painted.

An upskirt shot :lol:

Last edited by Moo on Wed May 25, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Nice looks great so far!

I'm subscribed to this now.... what are your goals for this?
Moo

Post by Moo »

Short term goals for this batch of work are to get the engine and engine bay as tidy as possible and fit the go faster bits. The shave and tuck mod has been well planned and Luke has come up with some great ideas on how to make this one of the best, and original, tucks to date. Once it's done the engine bay is going to look very clean in the sense that pretty much everything that can be moved will have been moved into the boot. This will be done in a way that doesn't lose too much boot space. Any wires, cables and pipes etc., that have to stay in the engine bay will be hidden as much as possible. An example of this is the throttle cable. Instead of it coming over the top of the engine it will come from underneath at the back so you will only see a tiny part of it where it connects to the throttle body.

We're aiming to achieve the minimalistic look you'd get with the old school air cooled engine bays. I've a fair idea of how this is going to happen and as Luke says it's not going to be a shiney engine bay and a nightmare out of sight in the boot. Everything that gets moved to the boot is going to be properly partitioned off and much thought has been given to important things like ease of access, electrical noise and cooling of certain components.

Ultimate long term goals are to get the car up to show standards. The exterior is already there and the engine bay is about to be there. Next on the list is the interior which I'm planning on having fully re-trimmed. As a stop gap the seats and door cards will be re-trimmed ready for JAE this year with the full interior re-trim to be ready for JAE 2012.

Once all that is done I'd probably look into getting the engine forged but that's a way off as yet :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

would surely seem madness not to forge it??

:mrgreen:
Moo

Post by Moo »

It will get forged at some point. As to when, it's probably a case of how long the pistons/ringlands last with the new turbo. I did look into getting it forged while having all this work done but just couldn't afford it along with the wire tuck and engine bay bling up. Could have sacrificed that and had a forged engine instead but my focus is on looks rather than power for the time being. All in good time :wink:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :mrgreen:

am sure itll come out looking awsome
greeny

Post by greeny »

Lukes been looking at the American show and shine section too much! :)
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
pnicho

Post by pnicho »

What car cover (skirt) is that you have there? I could do with one like that for mine! :)
Moo

Post by Moo »

greeny wrote:Lukes been looking at the American show and shine section too much! :)

Not just him :lol:

pnicho wrote:What car cover (skirt) is that you have there? I could do with one like that for mine! :)

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=478

Fourth one down, the one made from advan-tex.

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/advantex.html

The advan-tex ones are custom made to order. In my case they made it longer at the front so it fitted over my VS bumper. Didn't charge me any extra for that either. The other outdoor covers they sell for the MR2 are straight off the shelf and a lot cheaper!
Moo

Post by Moo »

A few little updates. Still waiting to get the engine bay work done but once this is out of the way there will be some major progress.

Some parts back from being powder coated :D

Throttle linkage modification complete.

Calipers painted as the original zinc plating was starting to look a bit rough.

Turbo has been clocked and CC core is off to be chopped tomorrow so it all lines up.

Wire tuck in progress.

This is how much boot space will be left when it's all done. The metal is just a guide, it won't look like this when done :lol:

More to come over the next few days :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Time for an update.

Lots been happening over the last few weeks and it's all starting to come together. Still a fair bit to do but the mountain has been climbed and it's looking hopeful that it will be done and good to go sometime this month :D

Had a bit of a worry a few weeks ago when we found we couldn't get the turbo to line up with the CC core and at one point it looked like we might have to lose the CC altogether and go with a different cooling solution. Luke being the genius he is managed to get it all to fit by doing some serious modifications to the manifold. It was a bit of a shame to have to chop it about but he did one hell of a job on it and it now lines up perfectly. The manifold is now less restrictive than it was before 8)

The welding work on the engine bay has been finished. All that remains on that front is to do some filling and get it painted which will be happening this week.

New Raybrig style head lights fitted.

Visited last weekend and polished up the Mongoose. Came up pretty good :)

CC core, inlet manifold and throttle body are off being polished. Engine block, cam cover and a few other little bits are still to be painted. The head rebuild is just about done, should be back any day now. Engine bay is being painted this week. Just got to finish the wire tuck mod, dynamat the interior and put it all back together.

Won't be long now and starting to get pretty excited :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

Moo wrote:Image

:shocked:

Looking good bud :wink:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Looking good!

Where did you go to for the Dynamat? I've had a look around and it's expensive stuff especially as i want 2 layers everywhere in the cabin! lol
Moo

Post by Moo »

ashman wrote:

:shocked:

Looking good bud :wink:

It was a bit of a bummer having to chop up that lovely manifold but it was either that or lose my CC which I didn't want to do. They did a great job though and it came out ok.

uglee wrote:Looking good!

Where did you go to for the Dynamat? I've had a look around and it's expensive stuff especially as i want 2 layers everywhere in the cabin! lol

Thanks :) Luke is sourcing the Dynamat from somewhere local to him but I don't know where so you'd have to speak to him on that one. I think this place has rolls of the stuff and sell it by the metre quite cheaply :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

A few updates.

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Was up at Lukes the other day to visit my poorly ride and saw lots of these lovely shiny bits destined for your wheels fella.
Luke's enjoying it I think and I reckon it's all going to be fabulous when done.

:thumleft:

R.
smartdj

Post by smartdj »

love it! shiny bits!!!!!
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

:mrgreen:

looking good fella
Moo

Post by Moo »

Thanks guys :thumleft:

I keep saying it won't be long now then there's more delays but hopefully it really won't be long now :lol: We're still aiming for JAE so fingers crossed it will all be done in the next few weeks :pray:

Return to “Modifications”