[Mk2] [NA] Anyone used / have an Exhaust Control Valve?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PsyKen
Premium Member

[Mk2] [NA] Anyone used / have an Exhaust Control Valve?

Post by PsyKen »

Basically as above...

I currently have a Blueflame exhaust on my N/A, but I have always eyed up the Japspeed boxes as I love the sound they make.

However, I am aware that it will need to be changed over come MOT time for my rev 3, and as I use it early in the mornings occasionnaly, I need to try and keep the noise down for my neighbours.

I was thinking of getting an Apexi ECV, as shown here.

But that page doesn't list the MR2...

So, does the list of universal ones sound like they would fit? Or is there a similar bit of kit I can get instaed?

wickermonkey

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Anyone used / have an Exhaust Control Valve?

Post by wickermonkey »

dont know how good these things are for the engine as they basically block the exhaust of. I dont think they do one for the mr2 but there is a company in australia called varex (youtube it and loads comes up) that do one that is like a scilencer but has a butterfly valve in it so that it can either be a staright through pipe or be re-routed to quieten it down rather than just block the exhaust.
PsyKen
Premium Member

Post by PsyKen »

Cheers.

I can imagine they aren't that great for the engine, but it's just to get me out of my car park so I don't wake up anyone at 5:30 in the morning.

Shame I can't find anything that will fit the MR2, I'd love to have a japspeed :|
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
Toms C7R, Carbotech pads, Berk DP & back box, Tein Flex, Mines ecu.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

They block the exhaust but you have to 'T' it off before the valve, run one side through a silencer and then the other through the valve and straight out so when the valve is open you get less silencing. These are factory fit on most modern cars to help warm up times. MGTF has one which is why only 1 of the 2 exhausts steams on startup, lots of Jags with quad exhausts but only 1 per side is sooted up as the others only get used at high RPM when the burn is cleaner.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

R32 golf exhaust

Sure i've read somewhere that someone put one on an MR2 as it has a valve inside to open up when on full chat but very quiet when not at full throttle.

Could be a mk3 though. Can't find any info on google for you sorry.
PsyKen
Premium Member

Post by PsyKen »

Thanks for looking :!:

Shame, really. My blueflame needs the flange repairing and I was thinking about having it welded to my new cat for MOT and a Japspeed for the rest of the year...
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
Toms C7R, Carbotech pads, Berk DP & back box, Tein Flex, Mines ecu.

Return to “Mechanical”