[Mk2] [Turbo] New Water Pump?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TRINDA1664

[Mk2] [Turbo] New Water Pump?

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Hello Guys

Today I was driving back from work and the temperture gauge started to increase slowly and before it could reach to the top of the gauge i pulled over and turned the car off. I checked the engine and there was coolant on the subfame which had come out of the overspil pipe from the engine coolant bottle. I checked the radiator etc and both pipe from the radiator were not very hot.

I got a recovery truck home.

I have since done a compression test and all cylinders are spot on.

Is the problem the water pump?

Thanks
Dan
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] New Water Pump?

Post by ashley »

Difficult to say with just the info supplied...have you been having issues for a while, have you recently drained and refilled the coolant?

It could have been an airlock in the system, your thermostat may be failing...

How does the engine sound when running? A failing water pump can get quite noisy, almost like a big end noise...

Lots to check before assuming the pump is fubarred :thumleft:
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Hello

I havent had a problem with the coolant or temp since i have had the car and by the looks of it the coolant hasnt been changed for a while.

I can not remember any loud noises from the water pump, but i did stop on a noisy dual carriage way and didnt keep the engine running as i was worried about the rising temp.

Will it be ok to keep starting the car if the water pump has gone bang?

Would it be worth while just to change the thermostat and water pump with the coolant anyway, even though changing a water pump doesnt look easy?

Thanks
Dan
ashley

Post by ashley »

I'd be tempted to top up the coolant and start the engine with the engine lid up and someone stood by listening at the timing belt end of the engine...if the water pump has actually failed it should be pretty obvious from the noise, then you can switch off asap.

You could change the thermostat straight up- pretty easy job, but changing the water pump is a bit more involved- timing belt off, etc...so not a job to do unless you need to, or you already have the engine out :thumleft:
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

This morning i topped the coolant up and started the engine and there was no strange noises from the water pump. So i left it for a while running and keeping a close eye on th temp guage, the temp gauge went to the normal running temp just under half way and stayed there. Also the radiator hoses go hot so the water is flowing ok.

Is the thermostat on its way out and yesterday it just failed and got stuck?

Shall I give the coolant and thermostat a change?

Thanks
Dan
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm having a very similar problem at the moment (thread is in mechanical ... strange temp issues..) and as said diagnosis is tricky. 'stat? pump? leak/air? HG? Heater matrix? Could be crap from the system floating round blocking the stat... how old/clean is the rad?
The only way is to check slowly, bleed and bleed and bleed again then change stat. Pump would be the last thing as it's the longest job. Worth considering oil pump too if the mileage is high as well as new cambelt and tensioners?
Good luck with it.

R.
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

I think I am going to change the thermostat and coolant and fully flush the system and hopefully having a clean system with a new stat and coolant will solve it.

Im pretty sure it was a sticky thermostat that was the problem yesterday.

Does any one agree or disagree with this?

Thanks
Dan
bolton

Post by bolton »

I say new stat (genuine one) and flush cooling system then refil with fresh coolant!
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

I am changing the thermostat, flushing the system and the refilling with toyota 4life coolant tonight so fingers crossed that will work.

Thank you for help and advise.

Dan
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

Last night, I drained the system and then started to pump water around to clean the pipes etc. Then a water leak appeared, it looks like its coming from the water pump. I took the top cam cover off to have a better look and there is definately water in the cam cover.

So i found the problem. there must of been air getting in from the water pump.

Does this sound right?

So now im going to change the water pump as well as the thermostat and coolant. I might as well give the cambelt a change with the idler and tensioner.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

TRINDA1664 wrote:
So now im going to change the water pump as well as the thermostat and coolant. I might as well give the cambelt a change with the idler and tensioner.

If you have the facilities, take the engine out first. I just did cambelt, idlers and tensioner with the engine in. My back hasn't been the same since! You can do it, but on reflection I I should have taken the engine out. Especially as I was back in a week later to replace the clutch :sick:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Plenty change them in situ with no issues though I hear.

R
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

HighwayStar wrote:Plenty change them in situ with no issues though I hear.

R

Not saying you can't do it, but if you don't have a well equiped workshop you will find it a struggle. The two things I found the most challenging were getting the top engine mount out and in and getting the bottom pulley off and out. My Rev1 turbo has aircon though so that made the pulley more awkward.
To crack the crank bolt off when a 1" windy gun fails, a snug fitting socket, extension bar and a quick flick of the starter motor will shift it!
Sounds brutal, but trust me, it's way more common than you would think!

Return to “Mechanical”