PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pk_090

Re: PK_090'S Build/bodge and restore thread!

Post by pk_090 »

Lauren wrote:Looks good, not a particularly effective air filter. Am sure you could get replacement foam inserts.

yeah it looks good and yes replacement elements are avalible but still unsure as to fit it or not due to the effectiveness. Ive been reading that one person had one on and did an engine strip to find the valves with a sand blasted effect, not something i particularly want, if im honnest. Saying that though i know somebody who ran their 4A in his ae86 with no filter whatsoever on the throttle body for 3 years and never had a problem.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well, I wouldn't recommend running without a filter. I have a K&N on my AE86. Not very JDM I know, but it's a decent filter, which is what really matters, I think.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

so when i get home from work tonight going to take and post up some photo's, and basically turn it into a build thread. My 4 days temp insurance ran out today (still with half a tank of fuel and try as i might i couldnt get it any lower :( so will probably end up draining the tank and put it in my other motor.) The car itself i bought it saturday for a very nice price on Ebay. 12 months MOT with only a little advisory of slight play in OSF track rod and then slight corrosion on rear disks. Looked at the rear discs and i personally think they are fine its just where the pad dosn't make contact they have corroded slightly, probably from the heat more than anything (discs themselves are't excessively worn or scored, and no rust on the contact area.).

The car itself has done 108k miles and is an E reg (87). It looks like the previous owner has had it machine buffed and used too much polish, and no masking tape on edges so there is splattered, red polish on all the edges and panel gaps etc. Im in two minds what to do with this one, strip it and make it lightweight with plenty of go which was the original plan, or Get it all clean and shiney and proper up to concourse style spec. personally i wanted to go with the first ( coilovers, bigger brakes stripped, bucket seats and maybe a 20v conversion) as a friend of mine has an NA mx5 and he is adamant his is quicker than mine....
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote: 12 months MOT with only a little advisory of slight play in OSF track rod and then slight corrosion on rear disks. Looked at the rear discs and i personally think they are fine its just where the pad dosn't make contact they have corroded slightly, probably from the heat more than anything (discs themselves are't excessively worn or scored, and no rust on the contact area.).

I usually take little note of advisories PK. Testers like to show DoT that they are on their toes, spotting every little weakness. You could well find that it passes perfectly well next time with some completely different advisories

a friend of mine has an NA mx5 and he is adamant his is quicker than mine....

A friend of mine has a 1.8 N/A MX5. I regularly get better times on track with my N/A 4AGE 16V Mk1

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

being an ex mechanic myself and knowing alot of mot testers, from my experiance you can take the same car in identical condidtion to (for example) to 10 differant testing stations and come back with 10 sets of differant results, some testers will spot differant things to others.
In my honnest oppionion i think that the MOT test is useless. It proves that the car was more than likely legal at the time of the test, and at the tiime of the test only. 5 mins later a bulb can have blow, or the car can have been modifed (i.e de cat pipes put on tinted windows lights etc).

My plan with the brakes was either to fit standard replacements if keeping as a minter, or to put grooved and dimpled fronts and solid rears with yellow and red stuff pads, respectively.

Alex

edit: with the Mx 5 his is an Eunos import. Its got HKS hypermaxx coilovers and a few other things (mazdaspeed exhaust lightened alloys proxies front and rear but his plans are to supercharge it if not supercharged definately getting it on an aftermarket ECU in the next couple of months.)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

pk_090 wrote:being an ex mechanic myself and knowing alot of mot testers, from my experiance you can take the same car in identical condidtion to (for example) to 10 differant testing stations and come back with 10 sets of differant results, some testers will spot differant things to others.
In my honnest oppionion i think that the MOT test is useless. It proves that the car was more than likely legal at the time of the test, and at the tiime of the test only. 5 mins later a bulb can have blow, or the car can have been modifed (i.e de cat pipes put on tinted windows lights etc).

My plan with the brakes was either to fit standard replacements if keeping as a minter, or to put grooved and dimpled fronts and solid rears with yellow and red stuff pads, respectively.

Alex

edit: with the Mx 5 his is an Eunos import. Its got HKS hypermaxx coilovers and a few other things (mazdaspeed exhaust lightened alloys proxies front and rear but his plans are to supercharge it if not supercharged definately getting it on an aftermarket ECU in the next couple of months.)

I fitted grooved discs on the fronts of mine and they warped within 11months - solid discs have lasted almost 3 years :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

I was told that grooved & drilled discs have been known to shatter :?

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Yes the holes cause a weakness, but dimpled or simply grooved on Their own dosn't so I have been told anyway. I've been told yellows on the front with grooves discs have the power to lock hot and sticky r888's. And then I've Ben told reds on the rears for a reason I can't remember.
Alex
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote: the power to lock hot and sticky r888's Alex

Am interested in tyres that get hot & sticky for competition use Alex

We used to use Hoosiers for sprinting but they are not on the approved list now

Forgive my ignorance but what are r888s ?

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

a friend of mine had a mk1A which he raced in the red dragon cup (forgive me if the name is wrong but something along those lines) the regs stated that standard brake discs had to be used but any pads could be used so he used standard vented discs with yellow stuff pads on front and red stuff rear.

R888's are a road legal trackday tyre avalible in a multitude of compounds (from super softs to hard iirc)

they are on demon tweeks website, i would post a link but i havent earnt enough post cred to post up links yet, im assuming its 20 posts?

he said that even when hot and sticky he managed to get the fronts fully locked a few times with them on. On the downside though R888's are only avalible though toyo approved motorsport dealers ive used tweeks as an xample as i know the sell them for a fact!

I though you could only get hoisers in america?

on a plus note done a few quick jobs on mine tonight, taken the wiper arms and taken the blades off given them both a clean from the overspray polish mentioned before and then given the arms a coat in tough black simoniz paint. Whilst this was drying ive also started generally cleaning and discovered in the brunk a Sparkrite alarm siren and loom, although i havent been given an alarm fob and the loom isnt hooked up to the siren, is this a standard or aftermarket alarm?
Alex
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote: the red dragon cup

Yes, a guy in Pembrokeshire runs red dragon racing IIRC

the regs stated that standard brake discs had to be used but any pads could be used so he used standard vented discs with yellow stuff pads on front and red stuff rear

Everybody seems to have different ideas about what is best for braking. Various members swear by various different disc/pad/caliper combinations

I have taken the innards out of my bias valve just recently to try & stop the front from locking up too easily

R888's are a road legal trackday tyre avalible in a multitude of compounds they are on demon tweeks website

Toyo Proxes. Have found them in Tweeks cat now and in the MSA Blue Book (List 1B)

i would post a link but i havent earnt enough post cred to post up links yet, im assuming its 20 posts?

Think its 15 for pictures. Not sure about links

I though you could only get hoisers in america?

That is probably so. We used to be able to get them but no one is using them now AFAIK

discovered in the brunk a Sparkrite alarm siren and loom, although i havent been given an alarm fob and the loom isnt hooked up to the siren, is this a standard or aftermarket alarm?
Alex

Pretty sure to be aftermarket Alex. I have a Scorpion alarm that I inherited on mine. Kept giving false activations and annoying folk so I disconnected it a while ago

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

im afraid im not going to be doing anything more on the car tonight, will be doing some tomorrow night and at the weekend. Probably going to do some more exploring of the sparkrite box and take it out if i can do as there is no need for it, haven't got the fobs and its no connected anyway. One of the conditions to getting the insurance quote with sky was to get a thatcham cat 2 minimum so as this is neither working nor thatcham approved i see no point to it. Any suggestions or recommendations for thatcham approved ones that are cheap and cheerful-ish?
Booked a few days off work next week so i can carry on with the project, will get photo's and such up then when i have some more significant ones to add.

in terms of rubber i havent driven on R888's before but ive driven around oulton park on proxies (Toyo's standard performace road tyre) in an integra type R and the grip from them was fantasic so i cant imagin a set of super soft r888's. Only thing i can say to be careful of is that people sell r888's as a road legal trackday tyre (which they are they have adequate tread pattern to be legal but i really wouldnt like to drive them in the wet) whereas other trackday tyres may be in the same catagory but are not road legal, so be carefull and ask the question!

Alex
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Generally £150 for an immobiliser fitted, £250 for a Cat1 fitted. This is the quotes I got when I had to immobillise/alarm my car for Sky.

I went for the latter in the end.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Lauren wrote:Generally £150 for an immobiliser fitted, £250 for a Cat1 fitted. This is the quotes I got when I had to immobillise/alarm my car for Sky.

I went for the latter in the end.

is the cat 1 worth paying the extra £100? i was speaking to the guy for quite a while over these bits saying i wanted to fit a snap off steering wheel etc (the biggest deterrent if you ask me who is going to steal a car with no steering wheel?) yet he said it makes no differance as its not thatcham approved. still going to fit one they look gangster with a deep dish wheel..
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well, you could get it wired up to the central locking so you can open the doors from the remote. It's an alarm too, so will go off if someone breaks in, which lets face it, is very easy on a MK1. So probably worth getting.

If only my car had central locking!

I wouldn't be too worried about a snap off wheel for a MK1, it's not like they are popular cars to nick fortunately.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

elbon50 wrote:
pk_090 wrote: the power to lock hot and sticky r888's Alex

Am interested in tyres that get hot & sticky for competition use Alex

We used to use Hoosiers for sprinting but they are not on the approved list now

Forgive my ignorance but what are r888s ?

Peter

Toyo R888's Peter.

Grooved discs also chew through pads!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Grooved discs also chew through pads!

Yes I bet they do just that Red

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

is there a way to change the title of this thread to a build thread for myself as i will be posting up pictures soon. Im hoping to have the weekend, plus monday tuesday and wednesday off work so goign to hammer the work on the car. Hopefully by the end of next week i want to have finished spraying the front wiper arms and fit new blades, i got a dent in the n/s headlight cover and on the bonnet i may have a go at sucking back out, if not ill find a mobile dent guy to have a go, hopefully i want to get her up on axel stands and have the wheels off to fully asses the arches and underneith as a minmm goal for the week. Listed that there and its maybe a few hours work tops. Other isuuues i want to fix the centre console, the radio and sunglasses holder (dont actally know what it was for probably a tape storage unit but my ray bans fit perfectly in them 8) ) have slid behing the casing so the radio is hidden with a gaping hole, might take the wheels into my old work se if i can take the tyres off and give the wheels a refurb and rebuild the brake calipers. The cars got 3 months tax left on so might cash in on the tax and SORN the car for a few months while it all gets rebuilt.

Definately thinking im going to go with a Cat 1 thatcham i like the sounds of remote central locking, never had this before :mrgreen: might have a pair of corbeau bucket seats to mount and make rails for but still undecided if im going to strip or leave standard, i cant choose... :-k :-k
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yes, you should be able to go in and edit the thread title by editing your first post. :+:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote:might have a pair of corbeau bucket seats to mount and make rails for

Someone is advertising a pair of Corbeau seats mounted on Mk1 bases Alex

Seats may be less than perfect but attaching a Corbeaus to Toyota frame could be a reasonably easy way to do the mod and still allow back/forward adjustent

Peter

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”