Today I have mostly been... Tinkering

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kevin..in

Today I have mostly been... Tinkering

Post by kevin..in »

Ok I have owned my latest MK1 for nearly 3 months now and apart from a service and some magnicor plug leads I haven't done much
so today I thought I had better introduce it to the bits that have adorned all my MK1s
Erm. Momo steering wheel :wink:
gen. Toyota (as fitted to T sport corolla, Tsport celica & MR2 roadster) pedals
more tinkering to follow as my 20V 4 branch manifold has arrived from that US of A \:D/
elbon50

Re: Today I have mostly been... Tinkering

Post by elbon50 »

Do you get correct horn function & indicator cancellation with that S/Wheel boss Kevin ?

Could you post pics of the 20V manifold as it is now and the mods you have to make to get it usable on the 16V engine please

Peter
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

elbon50 wrote:Do you get correct horn function & indicator cancellation with that S/Wheel boss Kevin ?

Could you post pics of the 20V manifold as it is now and the mods you have to make to get it usable on the 16V engine please

Peter

wheel & boss are genuine Momo items so all functions are as they should be

here's the manifold

two outermost bolt holes have to be cut off and new ones made then welded in place to lign up with 16V 4age stud pattern
its no big job at all
manifold all in inc. postage from US and import duty has cost me a shade over £100
at todays rate thats £103.40 infact :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Is 20V manifold different at bottom end to the N/A /S/C type

How will you connect to your exhaust system

Peter
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

elbon50 wrote:Is 20V manifold different at bottom end to the N/A /S/C type

How will you connect to your exhaust system

Peter

haven't actually collected it yet still at royal mail depot, but pic looks same as aw11 one, some have different joints but again that will be a simple mod to the joint on my magnex no hassle really
bobbyh

Post by bobbyh »

what's the advantage of the 20v? bigger bore I assume?
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

bobbyh wrote:what's the advantage of the 20v? bigger bore I assume?

if you mean the advantage of the 20V manifold, then better flow of exhaust gasses
if you mean 20V as opposed to 16V then smaller valves can be grouped more tightly together giving relatively more port area so 5 valves is better than 4
Yamaha's 5 valve tech comes directly from their '80s F1 program (Yamaha developed the cylinder heads for the 4AGE range of engines)and was then incorperated into their '80s FZ bike range later FZR then of course the mighty R1
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Would be interested to see how that goes Kev, any cheap way of getting more power sounds good in my books. Let us all know how it drives after you fit it.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

IanClements wrote:Would be interested to see how that goes Kev, any cheap way of getting more power sounds good in my books. Let us all know how it drives after you fit it.

I'm doubting it will make any significant extra power, but they do make more of a fruity sound which is always nice :whistle:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It ought to give it a bit of a boost. Mind you the runners are fairly short which might limit the benefits. But it will make more noise, in a good way. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:It ought to give it a bit of a boost. Mind you the runners are fairly short which might limit the benefits. But it will make more noise, in a good way. :+:

pretty much what I said then Lauren
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

kevin..in wrote:
Lauren wrote:It ought to give it a bit of a boost. Mind you the runners are fairly short which might limit the benefits. But it will make more noise, in a good way. :+:

pretty much what I said then Lauren

Personally I am looking towards keeping noise to a minimum while improving performance as much as possible

Would be interested in fitting one but only if it complies with those requirements

Peter
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

well today I have been and collected my manifold, not bad delivery time, 19 days from puchase in Miami to here in my hand :clap:
looks like the hole mods are easier than I first thought
one side just needs a new hole drilling & the other only needs a small extra piece welding on to take a new hole (might even be able to use the original lug and just cut and relocate it in the correct position to achieve this)
joint between manifold and exhaust middle section looks the same as std. AW11 :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

It looks a different shape to me :-k
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:It looks a different shape to me :-k

won't know for deffinate till i get the 2 together but even if I have to get a mod done to the exhaust it will be OK for me
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Kev i don't know what manifold that is but it's not a 20v. On a 20v manifold the outer holes are close to the original 16v holes, so close there is a half hole overlap, your outer holes are miles away.

Looks dead easy for you to modify though and won't be any problem, just thought i'd mention it doesn't look like a 20v. Also the lower flange looks very different to a 16v, again shouldn't be a problem.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Kev i don't know what manifold that is but it's not a 20v. On a 20v manifold the outer holes are close to the original 16v holes, so close there is a half hole overlap, your outer holes are miles away.

Looks dead easy for you to modify though and won't be any problem, just thought i'd mention it doesn't look like a 20v. Also the lower flange looks very different to a 16v, again shouldn't be a problem.

well it was sold as a 20V black top manifold
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0692752833
yeah the bolt holes look a piece of P.... to sort, been thinking I might try and get a new middle section made up for my magnex to fit with the lower flange (fnar I said flange!) unless anyone has a spare magnex middle section for sale that i could chop about
Perhaps Lauren will jump in with the link to that place in Macc. that does custom exhausts, maybe if i post something like "for sale" "lotus twin cam" or "track day" I know what will do it "blue interior" :lol:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

kevin..in wrote:
Perhaps Lauren will jump in with the link to that place in Macc. that does custom exhausts, maybe if i post something like "for sale" "lotus twin cam" or "track day" I know what will do it "blue interior" :lol:

jpexhausts.co.uk is the place in Macclesfield that Lauren mentioned Kevin

Peter
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

really interested by this, might have to do this one myself before i fit a new backbox so i can line the pipes up properly. Are you going to heat wrap it up kev or just leave as is?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Get it done properly Kevin. Chuck away the rubbish Magnex and get a decent system made to spec at JP. :tongue:

There's no need to mention the blue interior, I'm trying to have my lunch! ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”