PPC £999 Challenge 2011

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nickp

PPC £999 Challenge 2011

Post by Nickp »

Hi all,

If anyone's interested in some cheap fun 'motorsport' then entry has just opened for this years 'PPC £999 challenge' at Santa Pod on Fri 16th Sept. You have to buy and modify (if reqd) a car for less than £1k and race it up the 1/4 mile and around a handling course against a bunch of like minded loons. It's a real good laugh and we usually camp the night before and sample a few beers :wink: Me and a mate will be entering in our V6 MR2, so I suppose you can always aim for 2nd place :lol:

Here's some more details, but feel free to ask owt as I'm a bit of a seasoned campaigner now-
http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/999-challenge.html

Cheers,
Nick
aw11rally

Re: PPC £999 Challenge 2011

Post by aw11rally »

No chance the camping will be as good as last year though!

And I thought you'd built that V6 for the 9999 challenge, those coilovers are worth a grand! Just pulling your leg, I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the V6 up the strip. Did you sort the temp problems after mallory?

Regards

The secret V8 boys.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

aw11rally wrote:No chance the camping will be as good as last year though!

And I thought you'd built that V6 for the 9999 challenge, those coilovers are worth a grand! Just pulling your leg, I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the V6 up the strip. Did you sort the temp problems after mallory?

Regards

The secret V8 boys.

Those coilovers would've been over a grand NEW!! Luckily we paid £150 second-hand :D
I've stuck another rad in it as there were very few fins left in the 20yr old one :shock: and checked out the 'stat, but we won't know for sure until it gets a good caning on track.
BTW - would you like to see a breakdown of costs? Nothing to hide here :wink:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

I'd like to enter this but I fall foul of the rules somewhat.

Less than £1000 in the car but only after I'd sold the supercharger, fidanza and gearbox. :)

Shame really as I could 100% build another mk1 v6 for less than 1k.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

BarronMR wrote:Shame really as I could 100% build another mk1 v6 for less than 1k.

Crack on then, you've got over 2 mths!! :wink:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Nickp wrote:
BarronMR wrote:Shame really as I could 100% build another mk1 v6 for less than 1k.

Crack on then, you've got over 2 mths!! :wink:

Seems a bit pointless when I already have a stripped out mk1v6, to then go about building a 2nd. :(

Plus, my time is better spent getting the mk2 v6 back in one piece and various other related projects :)
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Was only joking mate :wink: Would be nice to see another MR2 or two there tho' :pray:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Nickp wrote:Was only joking mate :wink: Would be nice to see another MR2 or two there tho' :pray:

I pretty much have all the bits already; spare full engine + loom, LSD tubby gearbox + shafts with only £210 of the budget spent. :)

If I can find a mk1 shell for under £250, I'm laughing really. :clown:

Out of interest what tuning have you done to the mk2 v6 so far?
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Seems a shame not too when you've already got most of the bits you need :wink:

The V6 I got was overheating as the head-gaskets were shot. So while the heads were off I did a bit of DIY porting, nothing spectacular but hopefully it's helped things along a bit. Apart from a DIY exhaust with Powerflow back box and a cone filter it's bog stock.
The car's stripped and on coilovers with Tubby front brakes, that's it.
Here's my build thread over on the PPC forum- http://www.ppc-mag.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 78c300696e

To be in with a shout of winning you really need a car capable of a 14sec 1/4mile or better, and nimble for the handling course (MK1 would be ideal!! :thumleft: )

And as if by magic, here's one with a goosed engine :thumleft: - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-MR2-B ... 3f0bb5e4e3
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Nickp wrote:
The V6 I got was overheating as the head-gaskets were shot. So while the heads were off I did a bit of DIY porting, nothing spectacular but hopefully it's helped things along a bit. Apart from a DIY exhaust with Powerflow back box and a cone filter it's bog stock.
The car's stripped and on coilovers with Tubby front brakes, that's it.
Here's my build thread over on the PPC forum- http://www.ppc-mag.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 78c300696e

To be in with a shout of winning you really need a car capable of a 14sec 1/4mile or better, and nimble for the handling course (MK1 would be ideal!! :thumleft: )

And as if by magic, here's one with a goosed engine :thumleft: - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-MR2-B ... 3f0bb5e4e3

Still some easy tuning for you still. I would suggest if you've not played with the AFM or timing you can get at least another 10hp there for free. I have back-to-back dyno'd and got around 20hp from this (155whp to 17*whp), still with safe AFR's.

And if possible get rid of the toyota exhaust merge if you have not already.

My mk1 currently runs 13.3's, with a little tuning (ported heads and a little too much timing). Still has factory y-pipe (horrid design and going asap). AFM tuning was conservative, never leaner than mid 12 AFR's.

Last dyno's said 165whp, I expect to easily surpass 200whp when I've got rid of the toyota cast manifolds and y-pipe. Should be enough to get mid 12's. And 11's with either of the M90 superchargers I have.

A friend has a rev3 tintop mk2v6 that has 205whp, that does 14.1 1/4mile runs, not spent much on tuning the engine (no porting or forced induction).

Nice goosed mk1, unfortunately Horsham is a longway from yorkshire and it would be a shame to track prep such a mint looking mk1.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Hi,

I got rid of the Camry exhaust merge when I built the exhaust and somehow even manged to end up with equal length pipes, more luck than judgement but I'm pretty happy with the result (page 6 of my build shows it) It'd be nice to get rid of the cast manifolds but that isn't happening for the £999.

I've read about the AFM mod but was warned off it by Paul Woods, but this is a track/competition car so I'm interested in any free BHP we can get TBH. Are you talking about removing the AFM lid and moving the spring position? I could probably borrow a meter to shove up its trumpet to check it while I give it the beans!! :lol:

I set the timing at the std 10deg. What worked for you? I've heard of people setting it to 15deg, is this more like it? I know every engine's different and should really be set-up on the dyno, but we won't have that luxury until after the £999 so it'll have to be done by the seat of the pants I'm afraid.

14sec dead was my aim for the 1/4mile and should be realistic as it managed a 15.0 with the old 3SGE in there last year.

Cheers,
Nick

BTW - I'm also a Yorkshire lad too, just down t'road in Barnsley :thumleft:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Hi,

The AFM mod and timing tuning is well documented on the net, just have a look here:
http://mr2wiki.com/MKII/3vzfetune

I've turned mine 3-4 clicks on dyno and AFR's are fine, as has my mate with the mk2. 15deg will be fine and will net you a little more power, mine is around 17btdc.

All above best done on dyno for overall reliability but unlikely to grenade an engine.

I'm probably going dyno testing the last week of this month in wakefield, going to be re-testing all of the above. So from stock setup to AFM tuned AFR's and tuned timing, so hopefully have a better picture.

Luke.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Thanks for the info Luke :thumleft:
I'm doing a trackday Sunday so will leave things 'super safe' for now. After that though I'll up the timing to 15degBTDC, then I'll see if I can borrow Peters (SBITS) meter to check the fuelling once I've tweaked the AFM.
BTW - which rollers do you use in Wakey?
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

No problem.

I use ART motor engineers. Only use wheel hp figures, no calculated figures to muddy the water.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Luke,
Have you done the ACIS valve mod, so it's open all the time? If so what's your opinion?
Cheers,
Nick
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Just been doing a bit more research on the ACIS. It seems that it's open at high RPM and closed at low RPM (or is it the other way round?)to supposedly increase torque. As ours is a track car and we're not too fussed about how it performs below say 3Krpm, what about removing the valve completely? Hacksaw the whole thing off flush with the end plate? Don't suppose you've got a spare one to try have you? :-k
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Indeed Toyota technical description confirms its closed at <3900 rpm, opens >3900 RPM depending on throttle position.

Not done or tested the ACIS mod. I do have spare intakes and this will hopefully be tested at end of month.

Plan on running all setps back-to-back; normal operation, with the ACIS fixed open and fully removed.
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Cool, I'm deffo interested in the results so plse keep me informed.
I'm thinking completely removing it would be the best option for us with a track car, but we'll see what your dyno run says :thumleft:
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

Mod update - Just set the timing to 15deg(ish) and moved the AFM 3 clicks leaner, and all seems well. Ended up having a bit of a duel with one of those Mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo 300+BHP thingys :shock: and it easily held its own so can't be too bad can it? :lol:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I had a little 'off' in my mk1 so I'm thinking of screwing it back together with no-nails and taking it to the 999 instead of the Porch.

My MR2 doesn't quite sound as good as an uncorked Rover V8 but it's got much more chance of a good result.

Would cam cover seals, water temp sensors and CV joints be classed as service items :pray:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”