ABS Light

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

ABS Light

Post by bolton »

Hi all
Started my mr2 today as im getting it MOT'ed on friday and the ABS light is on!! :(

I havent started the car in 5 weeks and it wasnt on the last time i started it! Also the car hasnt moved much in the last 18 months, but like i say the light has never been lit before!

I have tried to run the diagonostic test by connecting the pins and disconecting the service plug near the ABS pump but all what happens is the P/S light flashes and the ABS light goes out? :mad:

Any help? Cheers John
Quigonjay

Re: ABS Light

Post by Quigonjay »

have you tried driving the car at all to see if the light goes out?
bolton

Post by bolton »

I have no mot or tax! Lol! So only really want to drive to the mot test centre! But dont wanna drive there to find the ABS light stays on! HELP! Lol!
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

after 18 months or so it could be rust / crud build up on an ABS sensor ring on one of the hubs confusing the sensor?
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah true! Would a drive sort this? Or world i need to take each one out and clean? Also any ideas on the diagonostic test as when i do it the ABS light goes out and P/S light flashes constant!
Cheers
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

bolton wrote:Yeah true! Would a drive sort this? Or world i need to take each one out and clean? Also any ideas on the diagonostic test as when i do it the ABS light goes out and P/S light flashes constant!
Cheers

no idea on the abs diagnostic test as mine does not have abs, but have seen crus on sensor rings cause similar issues on other cars i have worked on.

you can probably see them we enough by getting it up in the air and looking from underneath with a torch. if you see any crud a brass wire brush (carefully used) or a thorough blast with a jetwash might get rid of it
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

I suspect some crud / grot too. Try removing the sensor from the hubs, and using some brake cleaner to clean the sensor and wash out the inside of the rings.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Sensors are a pita to remove arnt they? Can i access the sensor with the brake disk removed?

Also can i test sensors with a multi meter? How?

Cheers
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

no, have to remove sensor bolt and pull it out

if use voltmeter on the wire rotate the wheel should generate pulse
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

abs sensors are magnetic, and as such will pick up any small metal filings etc, you cannot see them (the other side) even with the brake disc off.

put a meter on each pin and turn the hub slowly, the reading should be like a switch as the abs ring passes the sensor
bolton

Post by bolton »

What am i measuring? Ohms or volts? Also whats the best way to clean them? Removal?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ohms, it wont quite be like a switch but you will notice a slight difference, as long as the meter changes it should show its working, if theres no reading then its open circuit and fubbered.

removal normal breaks them do be warned
ryan

Post by ryan »

You bridging Tc and E1? I had the p/s flashing and ABS light constantly on, it turned out to be the ABS ECU....
bolton

Post by bolton »

I had the P/S light flashing and no abs light! Abs light disaperared as soon as i un plugged the service conection in the frunk? ](*,)
ryan

Post by ryan »

bolton wrote:I had the P/S light flashing and no abs light! Abs light disaperared as soon as i un plugged the service conection in the frunk? ](*,)

I think my ABS light stayed on through all of it. You got a mate with a correct rev MR2 you could swap ABS ECUs with? Its glovebox out and 4 screw/nuts that holds it in. Might be worth trying before sensors as its a relarivley inexpensive part 2nd hand :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

Update

Did some tests with my multi meter tonight and the sensors seem to be fine.

The rear two started at about 98 and rose up to 1.07 when the wheel was spun.
The front two started at 98 the rose to 1.06 when the wheel was spun then went to 98 and then to 1.03

so..........

i tryed to do the abs error codes again but still cant get the abs light to come and flash!
Im turning on the ignition unplugging the plug below and connecting TC and E1 in the diagonostic box with a paper clip! HELP!!!!

bolton

Post by bolton »

Again still havent actually drove the car yet! So :pray:
Edit jus brought abs ecu to try!
ryan

Post by ryan »

I thought the big grey plug was the service one and the other grey plug is the drivers ABS sensor plug. Didnt think it was the black one :?
bolton

Post by bolton »

Oh so its the big grey one with with two wires?
In that area i have that black one, the abs sensor one, the big grey 2 wire one and another grey plug with loads of wires to it! All abs related!
ryan

Post by ryan »

bolton wrote:Oh so its the big grey one with with two wires?
In that area i have that black one, the abs sensor one, the big grey 2 wire one and another grey plug with loads of wires to it! All abs related!

This might help
http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2abscode.html

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”