gonna get some HEL braided lines, but...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g.lewarne

gonna get some HEL braided lines, but...

Post by g.lewarne »

read a few reports on t'internet that they dont come with a fitting to hold them secure for the rear lines?

can anyone who has bought some confirm and if so, what needs to be made up for them?

cheers!
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
timlowthian

Re: gonna get some HEL braided lines, but...

Post by timlowthian »

I would also like to know this as i need some!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I used a cable tie wrapped around the 2 original bolts. Seems to hold the fitting quite firm. Been through 2 MOTs like it with no problem. Been meaning to fit a metal bracket bent around the fixing but haven't got round to it yet. Not a major problem.
Torero

Post by Torero »

stuMR2xrv wrote:I used a cable tie wrapped around the 2 original bolts. Seems to hold the fitting quite firm. Been through 2 MOTs like it with no problem. Been meaning to fit a metal bracket bent around the fixing but haven't got round to it yet. Not a major problem.

Same here, no problem or issues and they are still in place.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Just get a Goodridge set. Same price (cheaper in some places), and the bracket is there.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

all the goodrich ones i have seen are more then the HEL set?

HEL kit is £65 from brakelines.co.uk goodrich cheapest on ebay is about 85?
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Why save on brakes, even if it's only 20 pounds ... ?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117664
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

Ren0W wrote:Why save on brakes, even if it's only 20 pounds ... ?

i get what your saying, but, HEL lines are just as good quality as any as far as I have seen, fitted both to previous cars. Was merely wondering what sort of bracket needs to be made up for the rears, since i have access to a machine shop and plenty of plate steel and brass in work.

£20 is not to be sniffed at!
Slarty wrote:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Can you use your premium member discount anywhere for the Goodrich set? Think I did with Demon Tweeks a few years back now though.

R
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

HighwayStar wrote:Can you use your premium member discount anywhere for the Goodrich set? Think I did with Demon Tweeks a few years back now though.

R

still looking into that :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

g.lewarne wrote:
Ren0W wrote:Why save on brakes, even if it's only 20 pounds ... ?

i get what your saying, but, HEL lines are just as good quality as any as far as I have seen, fitted both to previous cars. Was merely wondering what sort of bracket needs to be made up for the rears, since i have access to a machine shop and plenty of plate steel and brass in work.

£20 is not to be sniffed at!

But there not as good, or they'd come with the bracket and not need a bodge!
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

What's wrong with my link?
Cheapest Goodrich there are even cheaper then the 65 pounds HEL lines.

And if you can make a bracket, it's OK. But I thought you would go use cable ties...
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

Ren0W wrote:What's wrong with my link?
Cheapest Goodrich there are even cheaper then the 65 pounds HEL lines.

And if you can make a bracket, it's OK. But I thought you would go use cable ties...

why would you think i would use cable ties? even in my OP i said i would make a bracket.....?

anyway, i dont want to use a 3rd party / person to purchase them, and i doubt those prices are valid any more anyway as that post is rather old
Slarty wrote:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

They are AFAIK, and it's fine. They get shipped directly to you from Goodridge. Mine did, as did my Goodridge braided clutch line. The same supplier also rebuilt my turbo! You have no worries dealing with them.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

I made a couple of brackets out of some ali angle iron, pretty straight forward.

Are the Goodridge brake line fittings made out of stainless steel these days? I replaced them with the HEL ones and when i purchased them sum 7 years ago they were just plated steel.

On a bit of a side note check that the female fittings on the HEL hoses are deep enough to take the male hard lines, mine weren't and i could only get about 2 full threads. Spoke to HEL and they do various depths apparently, not sure wether mine were just a odd batch but they replaced them.
Last edited by MarkP. on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

MarkP. wrote:I made a couple of brackets out of some ali angle iron, pretty straight forward.

Are the Goodridge brake line fittings made out of stainless steel these days? I replaced them with the HEL ones and when i purchased them sum 7 years ago they were just plated steel.

On a bit of a side note check that the female fittings on the HEL hoses are deep enough to take the male hard lines, mine weren't and i could get about 2 full threads. Spoke to HEL and they do various depths apparently, not sure wether mine were just a odd batch but they replaced them.

thankyou for the info!

have also found another brand, "black diamond" or something from fensport, need to do some more research i think.

Have also found the goodrich lines available in stock, via an online supplier for £55. might go for those after all :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Had mine on just 3yrs now and very pleased....
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

You can buy a set of Do-Luck fully stainless braised 4 pipes from sumo for £66! Must be worth a look at that price?
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

nickg07 wrote:You can buy a set of Do-Luck fully stainless braised 4 pipes from sumo for £66! Must be worth a look at that price?

already found them, bookmarked for payday :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
Harold

Post by Harold »

g.lewarne wrote:read a few reports on t'internet that they dont come with a fitting to hold them secure for the rear lines?

can anyone who has bought some confirm and if so, what needs to be made up for them?

cheers!

If it's of any help here is a pic of a brand new pack just arrived.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”