[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Intercooler and GTS-Chris Shroud and Fan

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Intercooler and GTS-Chris Shroud and Fan

Post by JeffD »

I'm not sure what I'm running at moment as I only have the standard boost gauge so dont want top play with anything until I get a proper one - hoping tp get an Omori one and fit in stock location :-)
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Hi Guys, first off........ great guide this has really helped out. Ive got my xs power intercooler all installed but i did notice it was quite a struggle to get the pipe work in place and connected up. The pipe work at the inlet of the intercooler seems to be a very very tight fit. Its right up against the firewall jammed up in there. Is it typically a very "snug fit"??? cheers
BIGOZ123

Post by BIGOZ123 »

I wish i'd seen this before atacking my car with a hammer............. only joking but i was close.
notroubleclubber

Post by notroubleclubber »

Id like to know what the difference between the stock and xs intercooler is. They both look the same size (xs looks a bit smaller if anything) so just wondering what is the point?
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

The XS power intercooler is actually bigger and much deeper. I've had one for 3 years and have had no problems so far. Fitting one is a bit tricky though and the hose and clamps that came with it arn't great - I'm not sure whether they've addressed this issue since.
notroubleclubber

Post by notroubleclubber »

anyone know if there is a power increase?
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

notroubleclubber wrote:anyone know if there is a power increase?

+1

or increases from a greddy intercooler?
C50

Post by C50 »

great :thumleft:

i've also got one of these GTS Chris shroud and fan for sale :eye: (shameless plug)

clicky
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

does anyone know what size the nuts are that hold the bottom of the intercooler to the shroud????? Thanks!
Jonnie1987

Post by Jonnie1987 »

Did you have a problem lining up the top pipes from the throttle body to the outlet of the intercooler? I fitted the turbo xs one yesturday and found that the pipes did not line up at all and now i have a huge boost leak which im going to sort out today by removing it and fitting it again.

Regards
John
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

Jonnie1987 wrote:Did you have a problem lining up the top pipes from the throttle body to the outlet of the intercooler? I fitted the turbo xs one yesturday and found that the pipes did not line up at all and now i have a huge boost leak which im going to sort out today by removing it and fitting it again.

Regards
John

Yes that pipe is a bit rubbish. It fits better one way than the other if thats any help lol.
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

just fitted mine today and had the same problem the pipe work just doesnt bend enough to line up with the throttle body and now i have a boost leak lol ](*,)
Baker

Post by Baker »

same here, albeit with a Berk. #-o

I think the original poster has the same problem too, looking at the pictures. the hose clip almost has to go at an angle to the hose to give a good seal.

it will fit properly with a good jiggling around of all the hoses.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Is it bar & plate or tube & fin i/c Jeff?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Jeff, food for thought here .... whilst the fan shroud is very efficient at low speeds at high speed it becomes a restriction.

If the air speed /quantity going through the intercooler is more than the fan can extract you'll get a high pressure area underneath the shroud and will prevent air flow through it and cause you to loose efficiency on your IC.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

TBH Ive not delved into the efficiency of it all - just gone along with the "accepted" wisdom. As mentioned by others they seem pretty good bar the hoses are awkward to fit and the clamps are bit suspect.

Although not fitted yet I've actually bought a ST205 setup plus Ive been preoccupied with more pressing mods! LOL
ryan

Post by ryan »

Century Motorsport wrote:Jeff, food for thought here .... whilst the fan shroud is very efficient at low speeds at high speed it becomes a restriction.

If the air speed /quantity going through the intercooler is more than the fan can extract you'll get a high pressure area underneath the shroud and will prevent air flow through it and cause you to loose efficiency on your IC.

This is exactly why I stuck with the stock fan, itsnt it after 30mph it becomes a disadvantage?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

The fit is a lot easier if you ditch the 2 small angled pipes in replacement for some silicone pipes. I use SFS.ask for Lee. Also this will reduce the rigidity of the setup so the bracket on the ic doesn't snap. You need a 54mm-63mm right angle and a 60mm 45degree joiner. Unless you have a toyosport kit they're 58mm. We always go for 2mm undersized to ensure a snugg fit. Also ditch the oversize Mikalors for correct size jubilees.
.jambo.

Post by .jambo. »

what size jubilee are u using mate got a xs cooler to fit but need all new clips what u guys using.

also great write up will be handy :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Most good quality joiners are 5mm thick, so add 10mm on. A 65-90 or there a bouts would do nicely. And 50-70mm for the smaller ones.

Return to “Modifications”