Turbocharging ?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

elbon50

Turbocharging ?

Post by elbon50 »

How feasible is it to bung a turbo on a Mk1 N/A please ?

I noticed that that one member had fitted a Ford turbo on a 4A-GZE

Peter
MartG

Re: Turbocharging ?

Post by MartG »

Problem with fitting one to an NA is the high compression ratio of the engine, which means you'll only be able to run very low boost before detonation sets in and destroys the engine
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

elbon50 wrote:How feasible is it to bung a turbo on a Mk1 N/A please ?

Short answer : Not very easy

You dont want to hear the long answer.. it causes arguements :lol:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Dan23

Post by Dan23 »

MartG wrote:Problem with fitting one to an NA is the high compression ratio of the engine, which means you'll only be able to run very low boost before detonation sets in and destroys the engine

You can get around that by putting a thicker head gasket on, but the pistons crank and bottom end won't like the high boost if you turned it up.

Probably easier to just drop a 3s-gte engine in out of the mk2 tubby
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Dan23 wrote:
MartG wrote:Problem with fitting one to an NA is the high compression ratio of the engine, which means you'll only be able to run very low boost before detonation sets in and destroys the engine

You can get around that by putting a thicker head gasket on, but the pistons crank and bottom end won't like the high boost if you turned it up.

Probably easier to just drop a 3s-gte engine in out of the mk2 tubby

GZE pistons are only just over £200 a set from MrT. Will solve your compression ratio issues and if you baulk at the cost of those you don't even want to be considering the conversion.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Lots of people do it (though not on MR2s).

It's fine really if you keep the boost sensible (ie say not more than 180bhp). Better to use a GZE if you want to run more boost and thus more power. 220bhp would make a nice tractable engine.

Obviously you'll need to get a custom manifold made which will cost £££'s.

I had one at one point (it was made by Carl Crawford, one for me, one for Toni):

Expect to pay around £500.

Then add the cost of the turbo and all the setup of that and you are likely looking at (plucks figure out of air) say £1500 if you are an extremely competent mechanic and you are going to run something that works! Also intercooling is a royal PITA for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Lauren on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

The Toyota FAQ on this page highlights and addresses a lot of the pitfalls regarding properly building a 4A-GTE for an MR2.

http://www.wcengineering.com/faq.html
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Many thanks for all that info

Will chew it over & come back on it later

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Something else worth considering is all the other bits you will want to uprate.

You'll probably want an LSD as you'll have all the power to easily exploit it and obviously it will help with traction.

Then there are the suspenders.

Stock brakes with decent pads will be enough tbh, even on track. But, this adds considerably to the cost. For example my first MK1SC which I did at the time pay for a turn key conversion for added up to £7.5K once I'd got it well sorted, including buying the car.

I'd seriously think about what you want from the car, then if you want to do it, think carefully about what kind of mods you are going to make and if you are prepared to pay for it.

IMO a MK1 can be nice with a stock engine, air filter/exhaust and a set of Koni's and springs. Maybe stick some cams in there if you must, to make it a bit different. It won't have loads of power, but you can still have 95% of the fun it compared with say a modded SC.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

IT has been done on the 4age and MR2's everywhere in the world reliably (except the UK). however there are a few 4agze conversions to turbo running now (in the uk, loads elsewhere), but no low pressure conversions on std N/a internals (that i'm aware of)

The USA and australia have quite a few, all the info and cost is on the net, google is your friend.
Last edited by cartledge_uk on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

There's Tony on the eightsix forum who's running GE stock internals:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... ghtsixcouk

He's not quite got the reliability sussed yet!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Lauren wrote:There's Tony on the eightsix forum who's running GE stock internals:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... ghtsixcouk

He's not quite got the reliability sussed yet!

very nice :thumleft:

Mine lasted about 0.3 of a mile before blowing an oil feed and me throwing toys out the pram.

I wish mk1chris would hurry up with his.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'm in the process of building a low boost 4a-ge for my own Mk1, using a shaft driven TRD Vortec SC unit, 2.0mm HKS gasket, ARP studs, USDM ECU/loom/sensors and every part of the engine has either beed renewed or freshly machined.

I am already expecting this to cost more than just putting a 3s-gte into a Mk1, which will ultimately blow this away performance wise, but i just want to see what can be done on stock NA internals/block.

If you haven't got a budget of at least £2k don't even think about it. In fact you could easily double that.

The biggest problem faced with a UK 4a-gte is engine management, you can't run boost on a NA Map sensored set up (unless you cobble it with a rising rate FPR or some other dohickey mods) so US builders get an AFM set up as standard on every Mk1, which is ideal for running boost.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

cartledge_uk wrote:IT has been done on the 4age and MR2's everywhere in the world reliably (except the UK). however there are a few 4agze conversions to turbo running now (in the uk, loads elsewhere), but no low pressure conversions on std N/a internals (that i'm aware of)

The USA and australia have quite a few, all the info and cost is on the net, google is your friend.

dont forget our kiwi counterparts too. they are doing more 'stock' turbo conversions than us in oz now.
more people turbo stock 4age's with much success then people realise. it isnt hard and as long as you suss out good engine management and intercooling you can have a relieble 4age come 4agte with reasonable boost. and put out good numbers. sure the stock compression leaves a little less margin for error than starting with lower c/r, but it can be done and done with great results.

you just gotta have the balls to not listen to the scared people, do some research and then do it.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

cartledge_uk wrote:
I wish mk1chris would hurry up with his.

:lol:

I wish you'd come round and take my engine out for me :clown:
Smallport 4AGTE
stenky

Post by stenky »

hom much power can stock AFM handle?

i was thinking about throwing an Eaton M62 into my stock AFM, 7 rib red/black top running intercooled mild boost (approx 0.3 bar) with 98octane fuel to prevent pinking and detonations.

is it manegeable?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

stenky wrote:hom much power can stock AFM handle?

i was thinking about throwing an Eaton M62 into my stock AFM, 7 rib red/black top running intercooled mild boost (approx 0.3 bar) with 98octane fuel to prevent pinking and detonations.

is it manegeable?

The info is out there, have a google. 0.3bar isnt a lot so I would guess so, but read up on the us forums.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

i've personaly run 12psi on stock 7 rib 4age internals. was releible and went like the clappers! :twisted:
mind you i had a w2a i/c and was useing 4agze engine management, injectors etc.

i know people down here and abroad have used stock 4age engine management with boost, but they did have to do 'something' to make it work properly. i would not know what that was.

really when it comes to boost and your engine, it isnt a matter of "how much boost can your engine handle", it's more a matter of how good your tuning and intercooling is. they are the key to successful 4agte.

i've never used a aftermarket engine management, seem to be 'lucky' i guess with my ghetto set-ups. :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”