Warped front disks

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazzz

Warped front disks

Post by dazzz »

What's the usually causes the disks to warp at the front. Is it just too much heat?

Mine were fine at the Nur last september and have been since. It's only over the past month i started to notice a slight judder under braking.

I'm running yellow stuff pads at the mo.
T.F.S.

Re: Warped front disks

Post by T.F.S. »

heat
Harold

Post by Harold »

It's my understanding that warped brake discs are largely a myth, most of the time when someone thinks their discs are warped it's actually brake pad material distributed unevenly on the surface of the disc.

See here - http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Harold wrote:It's my understanding that warped brake discs are largely a myth, most of the time when someone thinks their discs are warped it's actually brake pad material distributed unevenly on the surface of the disc.

See here - http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml

I gave them a real good workout round the Nur to the point they didn't do anyhting anymore and my disks had turned gold. They were still fine after that and for the next 9 months. I barely even use the brakes during normal road driving.

I'm using yellow stuff pads and have heard on here they can warp disks.

I'll change for a full set of new pads and see what happens.

:thumleft:
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i have that on my ML

changing a new pad, judder still there
then I change the disc and new pad the judder disappear

usually it is heat (when stationary people tend to have foot on the brake whether then use handbrake but handbrake on mr2 may wrap the rear because they using the same pad)
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

possible sticky caliper as well leads to a warpped disc
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Another cause is poor quality discs. Using low quality cast iron, the disc doesn't heat up and cool down in a uniform manor, leading to the surface being pulled one way and another.

I had brand new discs from Brakes International that warped within 500 miles. A while later I fitted a new set from CRN and after 8000 miles they're still absolutely fine.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I fitted CRN disks when i changed the lot last year. They have done over 8000 mles now though

I think i may remove the front calipers and give them a refurb and a new lick of paint, change the front disks and pads all round.
DaveB19

Post by DaveB19 »

Take the discs off and place them on a flat surface. Any gaps will be obvious, especially if disc rocks a bit if you push it down at different points around the edge. I had discs warp on my motorbike, could clearly see on a flat surface how bad they were. Good luck! :thumleft:
phipck

Post by phipck »

I also came to the conclusion its largely a myth, but people choose to use it as the answer to what is causing the problem.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ ... =warp&st=0

i thought i had warped disks, but after removing them i realised it was the hub surface that hadnt been cleaned properly and all was better, this was admitidly only after a short distance, if i had continued for many hundreds of mile the disks would have begun to wear conform to the wobble.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

As far as i know warped disks are entirely possible, just not for 99% of people. If you manage to heat the disks up on track enough, red hot temperatures like 650 degrees C, then come off track and park up with the handbrake on, then the disks are constrained whilst cooling, which could change their shape.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

dazzz wrote:What's the usually causes the disks to warp at the front. Is it just too much heat?

Mine were fine at the Nur last september and have been since. It's only over the past month i started to notice a slight judder under braking.

I'm running yellow stuff pads at the mo.

Yellow stuff pads are a real pain, keep well clear of them
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”