oil temp on track

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stealth

oil temp on track

Post by stealth »

Hi guys,

Quick question about oil temps. Just got back from the Nurburgring with a mate with a GT4, at one point on track his oil temp went up to just over 120 deg c. Mods he has are induction, exhaust and boost controller.

He was running about 1 bar at the time. I have the same mods but with an apexi ecu.

Basically what I need to know is should I fit an oil cooler to my car before I track my car or is something wrong with his car?

He also had coolant coming out the expansion take with a 0.9 bar cap but was ok with 1.1bar cap.

After doing a search I can make out if I need a cooler or not, appears to be mixed views :?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Yas

Re: oil temp on track

Post by Yas »

I'd say anything north of 110deg you'd be better installing a thermostatically controlled oil cooler esp if seeing 120+ on a full on run(track).

You will get mixed views on this subject, also dependant on what oil you are using as optimum running temps will differ.

You might want to search through the web for Opie Oils as they have put some excellent info out there in regards to oil.
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
3sgtemechanic

Post by 3sgtemechanic »

after experience i would say and oil cooler would be a good idea keeps the temps low that way you dont have to worry :thumleft:
stealth

Post by stealth »

Thanks guys, I think I'll fit one. As I'm fitting a CC is the stock IC location a good place to fit an oil cooler?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”