Track day tyres........what do you use??

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Track day tyres........what do you use??

Post by 2barGee »

My r888 rears are dead after the last track day I did :(

Now the price of r888s has gone up by around £50 per tyre in the last year!!!!!!

R888 are the boobs but is there a good alternative out there that are a bit cheaper??? Even slicks???

Thanks for any advice or views

Dan

Ps I've got 2 sets of wheels, and I run 225/50/15s on the rear!!!
Baker

Re: Track day tyres........what do you use??

Post by Baker »

these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/225-50-15-DUNLOP- ... 2a111108e7

and a quick search:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... kday+tyres

guessing this was meant to go in another section.
rsevo6

Post by rsevo6 »

Don't know how they will hold up on the heavier MR2, but I race in the MaX5 cup here in Holland with race prepped Mazda MX-5 which use the Toyo R1R and like this tyre a lot. Very good racing tyre in both dry and wet
fishface

Post by fishface »

:thumleft: We are using the Toyo R1-Rs 235/40/17 on the rear and T1-Rs 215/40/17 on the front at present! The rears are superb and handled a track evening at Brands with no problems! The fronts just about melted though! Dunno whether to persevere with the T1-Rs and up the pressure or try something else? I was hoping to try the R1-Rs on the front but it doesnt look like they do a 215/40/17 in them! :(
rsevo6

Post by rsevo6 »

fishface wrote::thumleft: We are using the Toyo R1-Rs 235/40/17 on the rear and T1-Rs 215/40/17 on the front at present! The rears are superb and handled a track evening at Brands with no problems! The fronts just about melted though! Dunno whether to persevere with the T1-Rs and up the pressure or try something else? I was hoping to try the R1-Rs on the front but it doesnt look like they do a 215/40/17 in them! :(

What tire pressure you were you running? If starting pressure is too high, the tyres will heat up too much and will burn.
With these tires the correct pressure is very important, should be 2.0-2.1 bar hot!
On the MX5, depending on the track temps, we usually start with 1.6/1.7 bar, on really warm days even with 1.5 bar, target is ending up with 2.0-2.1 bar after a 12 lap race.
fishface

Post by fishface »

rsevo6 wrote:

What tire pressure you were you running? If starting pressure is too high, the tyres will heat up too much and will burn.
With these tires the correct pressure is very important, should be 2.0-2.1 bar hot!
On the MX5, depending on the track temps, we usually start with 1.6/1.7 bar, on really warm days even with 1.5 bar, target is ending up with 2.0-2.1 bar after a 12 lap race.

:thumleft: We were running 36psi rear and 32psi front cold. Havent had a chance to experiment with changing the pressures yet! Looks like we are much too high judging by your figures! :thumleft:
rsevo6

Post by rsevo6 »

fishface wrote:

We were running 36psi rear and 32psi front cold. Havent had a chance to experiment with changing the pressures yet! Looks like we are much too high judging by your figures! :thumleft:

That is way too high, no wonder the tyres got burnt
fishface

Post by fishface »

rsevo6 wrote:
fishface wrote:
That is way too high, no wonder the tyres got burnt

:thumleft: We will have to try dropping them as per your recomendations! We are a bit new to the MR2 so was going off the pressures we use in our Focus ST! :thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Waaaaay too high! You want to be reaching those temperatures hot, and even then ~31psi front, ~35psi rear.
fishface

Post by fishface »

Rogue wrote:Waaaaay too high! You want to be reaching those temperatures hot, and even then ~31psi front, ~35psi rear.

:thumleft: Cool! As i said we are new to the MR lol! What would you put in cold to acheive those pressures hot roughly? :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

28 seems a reasonable starting point for the first track session, then bleeding them back down after ~15mins of driving, then maybe having to bleed them down once more after the next 15mins of driving. I've been aiming for 34-35 rear & 30-32 front when measured straight off the track...
fishface

Post by fishface »

ashman wrote:28 seems a reasonable starting point for the first track session, then bleeding them back down after ~15mins of driving, then maybe having to bleed them down once more after the next 15mins of driving. I've been aiming for 34-35 rear & 30-32 front when measured straight off the track...

:thumleft: Cheers for that! We shall give it a try next time out! I must say the rear R1-Rs gripped really well and didnt appear to get too hot running the 36 psi cold! :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Well after reading into it a bit more I'm going to try the r1r's. As i cannot find r888 in stock anywhere.

Thanks for the help people :thumleft:
fishface

Post by fishface »

Gee Man wrote:Well after reading into it a bit more I'm going to try the r1r's. As i cannot find r888 in stock anywhere.

Thanks for the help people :thumleft:

:thumleft: The R1-Rs were absolutely superb at Brands! No loss of grip at all and they wore really evenly with no overheating! Cant seem to get them in the right size for the front though! :(

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”