MR2 and wind.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ren0W

MR2 and wind.

Post by Ren0W »

When doing 100km/h+ my car handles like a floor cloth!
I have to counter steer all the time!
It's especially bad when on a bridge over a water (obviously getting the full load)

Just wondered if this is normal, or if some of my settings are screwed.

I know wind can affect a car, but I hoped -being low- the car would be a bit more steady.

Really hate driving in wind/rain, makes my ass hurt... from squeezing them together all the time ](*,)

Suspension all stock afaik and on 15".
pnicho

Re: MR2 and wind.

Post by pnicho »

Mine's planted everywhere tbh, never had a major problem, however big side winds do seem to push the car sideways a bit.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Are you spoilerless? Std spoiler helps in cross winds
Hows you steering rack joints? My right one (outer) was shot and I had to constantly correct the steering on sweeping bends.
Other than that, I cant advise you any further..
Last edited by ryan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Standard spoiler = on.
Pretty much everything is standard on the car, except for the few mods (as can been seen in my garage)

No clue if my steering rack is all right.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

when was your last alignment? Probably worth getting one done.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Something doesn't sound quite right with yours, I'd get a full alignment done first of all. However, the mr2 is not a stable high speed car, upwards of 120mph it doesn't feel good at all, and 140 feels downright dangerous.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Had 2 alignments in 2 year.
Last one was 22-05-2010.

Done around 20.000km since.

You think it can get messed up so much within 1 year?

Please note the KM/H.
I'm doing around 100~140 KM/H on our highways.
Without wind still not feeling quite confident, but it's OK.

But with wind, I pretty much stay around the 100KM zone, and I really have to hold the steering wheel with 2 hands, and counter steer every 'breeze'.

And I'm still max'd @ 180KM/H ;)
Harold

Post by Harold »

I've read on here that an alignment once a year is a good idea, and it's been 13 months and 20k since your last one.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Harold wrote:Something doesn't sound quite right with yours, I'd get a full alignment done first of all. However, the mr2 is not a stable high speed car, upwards of 120mph it doesn't feel good at all, and 140 feels downright dangerous.

thats exactly how mine is lol, seems ok in winds though
planted1

Post by planted1 »

I had this on the M5 over the top at Bristol,
the wind blew me clear into the next lane.

Do you have a difference in tyre pressures?
Have you considered the front lower lip extension,together with the front wheel lip extensions?(Air dams)
someone on here has these fitted,cant remember who.

Take a look at the photos in this thread
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 1&p=287463
allthough this is for the mrs the light front end (on early )is common

Have you considered front canards?
Is your bootlid spoilerless?
Are all your undertrays in place?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

My Rev1 is very similar but I put it down to 20 year old parts on it in places.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

my rev2 will be 20 next year and i have no such issues... only in really strong side wind i have the need to counter steer, but not by much. Alignment would be the first thing to do. Are all your wheel bearings nice and tight ? Give the wheels a good tug in all directions with car jacked up.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Torero

Post by Torero »

planted1 wrote:Have you considered the front lower lip extension,together with the front wheel lip extensions?(Air dams)
someone on here has these fitted,cant remember who.

I have those on my rev 5 but the best response I had was adding the Aeroware splitter. Gives much more positive handling at higher speeds even on stock suspension.

I have taken it off recently as I only use the 2 at weekends these days but it certainly made a difference.
phipck

Post by phipck »

more important than having the alignment done is having the alignment done by people who know what theyre on about. Ive had a couple of people look at my car before and both completely missed the lock to lock issue i was having, a simple toe adjustment would fix it.

I would only use WIM now, or one of their certificted partners. They are the people who teach the people, who sell the alignment kit to the poeple who dont learn how it works then take £50+ off you for doing almost nothing. Why stick with the bottom of the barrel when you can have the cream of the crop

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

makes a change to see a companies actuall premises and team in their website rather than lots of big promises and nothing much to back it up but faith.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Mine gets blown all over the place in high winds but not at 60 - that sounds to me like something is badly wrong. Should get it checked at a garage.

It does feel scary at 120+ not that we do those speeds on our main roads do we boys and girls???
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Still surprising however that the car isn't great at seen, given its low stance and stuff you would have thought it to be going good ton up?
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

planted1 wrote:Do you have a difference in tyre pressures?
2,5BAR all around.

Have you considered the front lower lip extension,together with the front wheel lip extensions?(Air dams)
My car is prettty much standard from the outside, not really want to start with bodyparts.
Considered the speed flaps indeed, found them on twosrus.com. Priced @ $60,-, but due to the ridiculous shipping costs $32,- I skipped those.

Have you considered front canards?
On a stock road car? :-k

Is your bootlid spoilerless?
"94+ spoiler attached

Are all your undertrays in place?
Everything intact and in place

cvega666 wrote:Are all your wheel bearings nice and tight ? Give the wheels a good tug in all directions with car jacked up.

The car got MOT'd last month, with no play in suspension parts. So guessing that would be allright.
Moo

Post by Moo »

planted1 wrote:Do you have a difference in tyre pressures?
2,5BAR all around.

2.5 bar = 36psi which sounds a little high to me. What make tyres do you have?

Rule of thumb is a 4psi difference between front and rear pressures with rears at the higher pressure. Stock rev3 tubby pressure on stock 15" rims is 29psi front, 33psi rear. My car is planted and I can't say I've ever noticed any issues with cross winds.

I'd try dropping your pressures a little (unless you have tyres with loads of flex in the sidewall) and running a 4psi difference between front and rear. A good first place to start as it's free :wink:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Likewise.... change those pressures first. It's probably a combo of many things but start there and see how things go. Even if the suspension is all working OK at the very least the bushes will be starting to perish by now and allowing more movement etc etc.
I'm also another recommendation for WIM .... and the geo set up as detailed by Gino which is basically the rev 1 set up with more toe and a little more camber.

R
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I dont know if hes going to drive all the way from the netherlands to wim though :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”