[Mk2] [Generic] HELP MECH. DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH CAR Gspecial auto 91

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

justdandy

[Mk2] [Generic] HELP MECH. DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH CAR Gspecial auto 91

Post by justdandy »

My 1991 gspecial auto 2lt is dying! I love the car and sadly, it took £600 to get through MOT. Cos of a fool going bankrupt and not paying me, it is now my only car and I really need it for work until I can afford a runaround. Also I love the car.

The oil pump sheared in the middle of a short journey last week , and it was low-loaded to the garage. The AA guy showed me where I could see the cambelt still attached, but coming away, and the casing was banging against the edge. There was no oil in car, which was strange cos a month ago the oil light came on and I went to Halfords and they filled it with oil.
Garage says the oil pump had sheared, and I bought a second hand pump. new camkit fitted with pump, NOW car running OK on flat, but wont even get to 30k on hills - and I am surrounded by blinking hills!

Mec says could be auto change? And when fitting new pump warned me that engine could pack up completely. If anyone can help?? Or send your phone no (landline would help as mobies cost a fortune on sky package)... I really dont want to lose the car - when new work comes in it goes back to being a weekend car.... but I really need it right now.

Kate.
Rogue

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] HELP MECH. DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH CAR Gspecial auto 91

Post by Rogue »

Does your speedo work?
justdandy

thanks Rogue for your reply ref car losing power

Post by justdandy »

Yes it does. and the engine idles ok. (have been ringing round) a local garage (dont trust the original mechanic now as told me 'well it was ok when I drove it' maybe he hasnt ever driven a 2 before cos if he thinks 30k going up hill is ok..... car was very fast before!

the oil light doesnt come on. The car seems to 'kick in' after a while and is ok (not its best) on the flat.
Batter ok (not at top of charging) but car starts first time fin.
I called round garages, and one said its the timing and I have to take it in and he will take a quick look. He says as it is idling, its not the engine dying - the old mech. said I could be losing the engine.

Doest respond like before even on flat - had to put my foot to the floor for first time to get real response yesterday - usually takes off with little use of acc. pedal.

Thanks for you reply - I really appreciate help from someone who actually knows these cars, and drives them!
Dale_V

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] HELP MECH. DOESNT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH CAR Gspecial auto 91

Post by Dale_V »

sounds like the cambelt has been fitted a few teeth out. Thats the very first thing that needs to be checked
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

Dale_V wrote:sounds like the cambelt has been fitted a few teeth out. Thats the very first thing that needs to be checked

Thanks Dale - will get that checked first. sounds about right.

wish there was a good MR2 garage/mechanic in Stoke on Trent. No one seems to know the cars, especially the imports..
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

justdandy wrote:
wish there was a good MR2 garage/mechanic in Stoke on Trent. No one seems to know the cars, especially the imports..

Sorry, I cant help you there... but the mr2 engine is a simple one to work on, so i dunno why your garages shy away from it. Also the UK and import NA's dont really differ, so they have no excuses really!
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

You would think they came from another planet!!! When I first had the car, I had no history of cambelt.. so decided on a new one... one guy even asked where the engine was!!

May have found one, well, at least he knew how to start the car!!

One garage said they couldnt do diagnostics on the car (he can) another said the car didnt have a timing belt (er..)

Thanks for all your help. I hope its fixed on Saturday! New Mech took it for a spin and says theres not much wrong... and is doing a diagnostic on ~Sat morning.

Cheers :roll:
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

I agree with the above. Sounds like the timing belt is slightly out or they havent set the timing after it's been put together.

Paul.

Return to “Mechanical”