Less equipment std on the later revs?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Less equipment std on the later revs?

Post by ryan »

Has anyone noticed this? My 1991 n/a uk T bar had the active system with one sub my rev3 GT turbo had bog std system, my old uk rev 4 na T bar had bog std system.
also some rev1/2 JDM cars have rake adjustment on steering, this was discontinued rev 3 onwards, also the carpet is awful on rev2+ cars compared to the thick pile rev 1
Finally, all window and door lock switched illuminate on earlier rev cars, but the leds were deleted on later cars, with just the drivers button illuminated :-k
Dale_V

Re: Less equipment std on the later revs?

Post by Dale_V »

yeah the carpets are definatly bad on the later cars, sooooo cheap and nasty especially on the rear firewall and rear boxes....
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

If it doesn't start, steer, stop its not needed ;)

Why would people want that extra weight?

Comfort? Its a sports car its meant to be exciting, not plush :p

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
sketch

Post by sketch »

Lol, my rev2 even has cruise control :lol:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

sketch wrote:Lol, my rev2 even has cruise control :lol:

No, that's a sticking throttle cable :eye:
ryan

Post by ryan »

loudandproud205 wrote:If it doesn't start, steer, stop its not needed ;)

Why would people want that extra weight?

Comfort? Its a sports car its meant to be exciting, not plush :p

Its merely an observation, but its actually a GT car so its meant to be a bit plush and certainly not subject to penny pinching, Toyota were thinking of cost cutting not weightsaving :thumleft:
sketch

Post by sketch »

JohnnyC wrote:
sketch wrote:Lol, my rev2 even has cruise control :lol:

No, that's a sticking throttle cable :eye:

:oldtongue: :lol:
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

I didn't think my carpet was very thick, maybe its been changed? might have to have a better look next time i come across some of the later revs at shows :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

Rev 1 has nicer black headlining too! Lol
uglee

Post by uglee »

It's probably more a case of as the cars rose in price to buy new, buyers had to stop ticking the options boxes in order to afford it.
ryan

Post by ryan »

uglee wrote:It's probably more a case of as the cars rose in price to buy new, buyers had to stop ticking the options boxes in order to afford it.

but things like carpet quality and illuminated door switches werent an option at extra cost, you just didnt them it at all :?
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Mine is a rev 2 GT turbo which came standard with
8 speaker system (2 subs ,2 tweeters & 2 mids )
illuminated window switches,thick floor carpet, adjustable steering wheel (tilt & rack) steering front fog lamps, tilt mirrors,AM aerial in windscreen,A.B.S(which is optional), the only thing it didnt have which was also optional was d/s air bag in steering wheel & traction control :thumleft:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Mines a rev1 GT turbo and well I have gutted everything bar the dashboard and seats.

If I had known this I may had advertised some of the 'plush' bits instead of just binning the lot ](*,)

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
ryan

Post by ryan »

loudandproud205 wrote:Mines a rev1 GT turbo and well I have gutted everything bar the dashboard and seats.

If I had known this I may had advertised some of the 'plush' bits instead of just binning the lot ](*,)

Oh bu88er , you binned your bits #-o
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Is there a quick way to test if you have the 7 or 8 speaker set up on an import GT?
ryan

Post by ryan »

nickg07 wrote:Is there a quick way to test if you have the 7 or 8 speaker set up on an import GT?

A very quick way, just tilt your seat back and look down behind the seat on both driver and passenger side. It you have a speaker grill on either or both then you have the 'premium sound system' (also known as active) with small external amps that are near the seat belt reel
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Firewall carpet and sub box trim carpet was much nicer in my UK GT, but I could see no difference between the main carpets.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

ryan wrote:
nickg07 wrote:Is there a quick way to test if you have the 7 or 8 speaker set up on an import GT?

A very quick way, just tilt your seat back and look down behind the seat on both driver and passenger side. It you have a speaker grill on either or both then you have the 'premium sound system' (also known as active) with small external amps that are near the seat belt reel

thanks, i think i have them near the seatbelt area but i cant see a grill specifically in the material directly behind the drivers seat per se'.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

All cars have the perforated holes for the rear speakers, they just dont always have anything behind them :) Toyota only made 1 piece of trim, speakers or no speakers.

If you had the premium or active systems, 1 or both of the cubby boxes behind your seats would have subwoofers in them, and a grille on them facing the front of the car.

Back to the original point, I have noticed this trend. It seems with rev3s the GT-S's I've seen have had barely any optional equipment at all. Mine has fixed fogs, had standard mirrors, no TRC, no ABS, no airbags, bog standard sound system, no cruise control etc. I've only seen that on more recent GT spec cars. But there's also the trend that towards the end of production, Toyota started making more things standard features. For example rev4+ all have ABS, and rev5s all have airbags, which were both optional previously.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
ryan

Post by ryan »

Sorry to confuse you, but I meant the speaker grill on the front of the cubby hole, if youve got this then you will find a sub box in that cubby hole and therefore have the active external amped system. As Toxo said, all have the perfprations in the seatbelt shoulder height trim area :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”