Rev 3 Turbo Tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

strugrat

Rev 3 Turbo Tyres

Post by strugrat »

Hey Guys,

Some help again please!

Picked the car up and it is sweet!!!!! :mrgreen:

Rear tyres are Bridgestone Re11 and are pretty much on the wear limiters. Fronts are the same model but only have around 3mm tread left so was going to just replace all four.

Ive done a search on here and havent found much info!?

What tyres are best.....Im mainly 99% road driving and it is my daily driver so they need to work all the time although I am planning on going on a trackday some time this year....

Was thinking about some Toyo R1Rs....anyone know what the wear rate is like on these?

Some tyre review comments/reviews from turbo owner experience would be fab.

Thanks loads in advance

strugrat
mark239

Re: Rev 3 Turbo Tyres

Post by mark239 »

hankook ventus RS2
Marf

Post by Marf »

What size do you need?
strugrat

Post by strugrat »

Need.205/4516 front
225/45/16 rear
Harold

Post by Harold »

strugrat wrote:Need.205/4516 front
225/45/16 rear

If you're after high performance tyres then your best choices are -

Yokohama AD08 - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s310p59608

Or hankook rs2 - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s310p63436
Marf

Post by Marf »

AD08 would be my pick :thumleft:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

There's no stock of the 205 AD08 at camskill.

I do fancy these tyres next though.
strugrat

Post by strugrat »

Hankook are a real good price. i assume both of these tyres are pretty proven to suit a mr2 tubby chassis?
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

As it's your daily drive I wouldn't use Yoko's. Dont get me wrong they are excellent in the grip department and i've had a few sets but they are too soft and you will find yourself replacing them too quick depending on your driving.

Best so far i've had are Goodyear Eagle F1's. Handling is spot on, never had a problem getting grip down with them. Ive done a couple of winters with them all round and they are not too bad in the ice and snow also. I also think they look great. Depends on your budget but spend as much as you can :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Harold

Post by Harold »

Mike 'MR2' McHugh wrote:As it's your daily drive I wouldn't use Yoko's. Dont get me wrong they are excellent in the grip department and i've had a few sets but they are too soft and you will find yourself replacing them too quick depending on your driving.

Best so far i've had are Goodyear Eagle F1's. Handling is spot on, never had a problem getting grip down with them. Ive done a couple of winters with them all round and they are not too bad in the ice and snow also. I also think they look great. Depends on your budget but spend as much as you can :thumleft:

You won't find any Eagle f1s in 225/45/16, choice is pretty limited. I do agree about the Ad08s though, supposedly fantastic dry grip, but not so good in the wet and they won't last long at all.

There's always uniroyal rainsport 2, they are available for the fronts and rears and are quite highly rated. I have just had a pair put on the rear but can't comment as they've not had a chance to scrub in yet.
strugrat

Post by strugrat »

Continental sport contact 2s are available in both front and rear sizes and look fairly decent.

Anyone got experience of these?
Harold

Post by Harold »

strugrat wrote:Continental sport contact 2s are available in both front and rear sizes and look fairly decent.

I should imagine they will be very good, probably your best choice for overall performance. I don't have any experience of them, but they're a well known and tried & tested tyre.
strugrat

Post by strugrat »

Harold wrote:
strugrat wrote:Continental sport contact 2s are available in both front and rear sizes and look fairly decent.

I should imagine they will be very good, probably your best choice for overall performance. I don't have any experience of them, but they're a well known and tried & tested tyre.

bit of a minefield really isn't it. i really do not want.to make the wrong choice and end up skating around for 12k miles!!!

No idea which way im going with the exception of after looking at the.price of re11s it won't be for them!!!! :shock:
Harold

Post by Harold »

strugrat wrote:
Harold wrote:

bit of a minefield really isn't it. i really do not want.to make the wrong choice and end up skating around for 12k miles!!!

No idea which way im going with the exception of after looking at the.price of re11s it won't be for them!!!! :shock:

In your position I'd be going for either uniroyal rainsport 2s or continental sport contact 2s. With the uniroyal probably offering better wet grip and aquaplaning resistance and the continental probably has a slight performance edge in dry grip, handling etc.

It depends on how much you want to spend, at £120 per rear with the continentals before fitting they're not especially cheap. But pick either and you'll have a very good tyre.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

im running T1-R's all round 215 front and 245 rear, very good dry grip, not been out in the wet yet though
fishface

Post by fishface »

dawesy wrote:im running T1-R's all round 215 front and 245 rear, very good dry grip, not been out in the wet yet though

:thumleft: T1-Rs are excellent in the wet! Only thing is they are being phased out now in favour of the newer T1-Sports! I had difficulty getting a pair in a 235/40/17 size easily so have gone with the R1-Rs on the rear! Havent had a chance to really try them yet but going to Brands next tuesday! Weve got the T1-Rs on the front still so just hoping they go well together! :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

ive had the uniroyals on my first mr2 tubby and was impressed with them, I even managed to drive in 10" of snow in them.

got mitchellin pilots on the back of the current one and whilst theyre ok they seem to let go easily and suddenly, but not having any other tyres on there I cant put the blame on those alone.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Falken 452's
strugrat

Post by strugrat »

fishface wrote:
dawesy wrote:im running T1-R's all round 215 front and 245 rear, very good dry grip, not been out in the wet yet though

:thumleft: T1-Rs are excellent in the wet! Only thing is they are being phased out now in favour of the newer T1-Sports! I had difficulty getting a pair in a 235/40/17 size easily so have gone with the R1-Rs on the rear! Havent had a chance to really try them yet but going to Brands next tuesday! Weve got the T1-Rs on the front still so just hoping they go well together! :thumleft:

to be fair t1r s are probably fine for me and they're quite cheap in comparison. although if they're phasing them out maybe uniroyals coold be the way to go. who knows!!!!
paul port

Post by paul port »

NOOOOOOO!!

I have used these on the MR2, and they are Useless...
Practically no launch grip from the back and under-steery on the front when damp. Not at all what I expected as they are one of the recommended fitments for a Boxster.

A really cheap tyre, but frankly rather good on both Road and track is the Marrangoni Zeta Linea, which you can (when I had the MR2) get in the 16" fitments.

Shop around, a couple of years back I got a full set for a little over £200 through Bracknell Tyre & Battery - much cheaper than the official local Marrangoni dealers.

T1R's - never got on with those either, Kumho KU31's wear out too quick.

If you don't want to pay out for top range Goodyear / Bridgestone / Yoko, then the Marrangoni's are really very very good.

Paul.
Paul

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”