Hen's Teeth, Rockinghorse Poo, and Mk1's?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Karl_T

Hen's Teeth, Rockinghorse Poo, and Mk1's?

Post by Karl_T »

Something to ponder. Came as a suprise to me.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
boondougal

Re: Hen's Teeth, Rockinghorse Poo, and Mk1's?

Post by boondougal »

I wonder wha that is as a percentage of sales?

At least mine is on the sorn list!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

There seem to be more Sorn'd than on the road, though not that rare at all given such significant numbers.

Mine is one of 15 apparently in the UK(!). Though there are probably double that taking for incorrect details on the V5.

It really is a crying shame there are so many MGB's still left on the road. :-:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Where did you get the mk1 numbers from Karl? I assume the data has come from the same place that has been doing the rounds on every forum known to man in the last couple of days but I couldn't see a way to seperate out mk1 and mk2 data on there.
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Not seen what's been doing the rounds before, I got this by following a link from 'The Silver Fox' to the Department Of Transport statistics page:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/da ... licensing/
On there I focussed on the VEH0124 and VEH0125.xls files which give vehicle by make/type and crucially year of first registration. Knowing the dates for Mk1's 2's etc you can work out which must be which, plus there's some variety in the descriptions. Mid year changeovers may skew things a touch but we're not talking thousands here it'll be 50-100 at most.

Also the DoT state the figures are for year end so there will be a seasonal shift from taxed to SORN'd, so some of the 1800 SORN'd may be perfectly OK and taxed in the summer. Even so the grand total is depressing.

But it sure isn't just another Toyota, they're the last of the few.

Karl_T
Red ones go faster......
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

unsure why theres so many MGB's...they suck!

i wonder if they count the MGBV8's into that figure because they were still making them for the jap market in the late 90's, i used to drive them back from the dock
The Silver Fox

Post by The Silver Fox »

Kaiowas,

As karl said, the data comes from the veh0124(taxed) and veh0125(sorn) files and you can extract the numbers by dates of production.

I was looking at the figures and made it 1521 taxed and 1868 SORN. The SORN figure also includes cars not taxed since before the scheme came into being.

I wouldnt think more than about half the SORN cars will ever make it back on to the road so I reckon that there are only about 2500 max left to carry on the marque.

There are a lot of files on this website and some of the data just doesnt make sense. I think the two files mentioned above provide the most accurate information. I believe they are going to be published annually so we will be able to keep a check on the numbers.

Hope this helps.

Douglas
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

When you think about how few AW11's you see around on the roads now this isn't actually that surprising. Especially since they aren't "special" enough to just be weekend cars for most people, I'll bet the majority that are taxed are used on a daily basis, wheres cars like the MGB you see less often, but they are all stuck in garages and used when the sun comes out.

I've noticed in the past couple of years that fewer people recognise what the AW11 is. It is retarded the number of people that think my mk1 is a Ferrari!!! I must hear it at least once a month, especially from kids walking past the car and asking their parents what it is. The car park attendant at a place I am working at the moment said it was like a Ferrari on Friday, my response was "I wish".

The fact that so few people recognise the cars now has to have something to do with how few there are left. Plus the age of them and the fact that most people now think of an MR2 as the newer Spyder.

I quite like the fact that numbers are dwindling, it makes the car a bit more unique.
The Silver Fox

Post by The Silver Fox »

As a Mk1a owner they are even more unique.
The 1985 + 1986 figures show only 253 taxed and 406 SORN
jimi

Post by jimi »

The Silver Fox wrote:
I was looking at the figures and made it 1521 taxed and 1868 SORN. The SORN figure also includes cars not taxed since before the scheme came into being.

I think you would have to include the 1990 MR2 numbers into the MK1 totals the MK2 would be under the MR2 AUTO, MR2 GT and MR2 GT 16V totals.

IMHO
:)
The Silver Fox

Post by The Silver Fox »

OK Jimi, in that case the figures are 1799 Taxed and 2040 SORN.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Still not many is it :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jimi wrote:Still not many is it :(

Tbh I honestly think that is loads. It's rare when it gets under a hundred.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Will be interesting to see how the SORN figures vary after end of this year

I have just put 5 vehicles on SORN that did not previously need to be because of the latest law whiich requires a vehicle to be insured or on SORN even if its always kept on private land

Potential penalty large fine, car seized & crushed & even imprisonment

Peter
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=uno+turbo

Figures aren't accurate on here for Uno Turbos..
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

elbon50 wrote:Will be interesting to see how the SORN figures vary after end of this year

I have just put 5 vehicles on SORN that did not previously need to be because of the latest law whiich requires a vehicle to be insured or on SORN even if its always kept on private land

Potential penalty large fine, car seized & crushed & even imprisonment

Peter

Isnt there also a law about insurance too? I know they are trying to stop uninsured drivers, but kit car makers and people will "spares" cars are the ones that are going to get hit I bet.
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

cartledge_uk wrote:

Isnt there also a law about insurance too? I know they are trying to stop uninsured drivers, but kit car makers and people will "spares" cars are the ones that are going to get hit I bet.

Why's that? Either your car is on the road, taxed and insured or its not and therefore SORNed :)
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

When they first started with SORN the rules said that any car untaxed since before that date was not required to be SORNed until at some future date it was left untaxed after having been taxed

The difference from May of tthis year is that ALL previously uninsured vehicles have to be insured or SORNed or the keeper will be penalised

So lots of extra vehicles likely to be put on SORN PDQ

How many Mk1s will be included in that I dunno

Peter
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Makes it difficult to take a car off the road for a couple of weeks when the insurance expires too.

Say for example you have a spare second car. The insurance expires but seeing as you're a little short of cash and you don't anticipate needing the car anyway you decide to park it on your drive for a couple of weeks until payday before reinsuring it. Previously you could do this and leave it taxed (after all there's no point cashing in the tax disc if it's only for a couple of weeks). Under the new system you are now legally obliged to post your tax disc off, and declare SORN.

Should your main car then develop a problem, under the previous rules you could make a quick call to your insurers, get the second car insured with immediate effect and you're back on the road. Under the new rules you've now got wait for your SORN declaration to be processed before you're allowed to buy a tax disc (with the added bonus of paying a second time for the same months tax because you don't get refunded for a part month).
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

DVLA :-:

Recently I took my car off the road as I changed the insurance over to the new car. I was trying to sell the old car so wanted to keep tax on it for obvious reasons. It was on my driveway.

In the end I sold the car to a dealer (some 6 weeks later) and he gave me the tax disc back for which I'm now claiming a refund. Naturally the DVLA have messed about processing it, costing me another month. They are COTHO, make no mistake. Though they have made no reference to the car being uninsured for 6 weeks with tax on it.

But, yes, it is bloody stupid and when I did this I wasn't aware I was causing any problem or legality, because as far as I'm concerned I've got a taxed car that is not insured sitting on private land (ie my driveway). The only way I could see it is that I can do what I bloody like in respect of keeping my own car on my own land.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”