[Mk2] [Generic] front numberplate

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] front numberplate

Post by RST »

^^^did you read the links I posted, you don't have to, you can walk into any number plate supplier and pick up pamphlets or print outs. DVLA are the only place which will tell what's legal and not. Yes there's a letter and font requirement plus a minimum border, DVLA make it so silly stupid to understand, they relaxed some rules recently but remember they still have this one...

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements.
Meko

Post by Meko »

RST wrote:^^^did you read the links I posted, you don't have to, you can walk into any number plate supplier and pick up pamphlets or print outs. DVLA are the only place which will tell what's legal and not. Yes there's a letter and font requirement plus a minimum border, DVLA make it so silly stupid to understand, they relaxed some rules recently but remember they still have this one...

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements.

i've read it but it doesn't specify that you "Must fit a UK sized plate". Only that

Your number plate should show the correct:

character height - 79 millimetres
character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
character stroke - 14 millimetres
space between characters - 11 millimetres
space between groups - 33 millimetres
top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

BUT the DVLA site is only showing for current number plates and not pre september 2001. For pre September 2001 the rules are different and there are also separate laws for imported vehicles where the character height can go as small as 64mm if the vehicle. You can get all the information from the correct place
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ... tents/made

It's not an official site but all the links to whatnot can be found on http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates
BrianUK
Premium Member

;)

Post by BrianUK »

actually THEY are correct and they are doing their job for pulling you. You MUST fit a UK sized plate unless the bodywork etc prohibits the fitment of a UK sized plate. There's no MR2 I've seen which can't fit a UK sized plate on the front as there's no moulded recess for an import one. You just can't argue on this one, it's in black and white what is legal, whatever you get away with outside of this is your own doing. The argument about other wrong doings is immaterial unless you abide by the law. They have every right to pull you on a plate if it does not meet the DVLA spec verbatim

Yes you are right, except that a Uk number plate overhangs an import number plate holder and would be hazardous to a pedestiran. In other words it doesnt fit properly :)

I actually went to the DVLA office on this one - they looked - they were happy :) - Its perfectly legible, perfectly fitted and perfectly sized :)

And yes - been pulled for road side checks on a number of occasions - comments were made - but thats it :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I used to have a standard sized import one but I changed it out for a UK one to help airflow to the front when I fitted my chargecooler rad. I figured 3 rads needed all the airflow they could get:

All legal, no questions asked, no problems.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I went for a tiny front plate 330x89mm (13x3.5in) , but in case I have problems I carry the original HUGE one under the seat :lol: and both fit the plate holder I have on there now. Can always blag i changed it for some pictures and forgot, etc etc... I guess it will mostly depend on a). cops good humour that day b). the offence you commited
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Moo

Post by Moo »

This one got me 2 warnings, a fixed penalty fine of £60 and a marker on the car :lol:

I've seen smaller front plates go without comment from the plod but for some reason they seem to take exception to my car :roll:

uglee

Post by uglee »

Only way to really clean the front end up and keep legal sized letterings is to cut down the number of letters on the plate. This plate is perfectly legal despite a lot of people thinking to the contrary.

Unfortunately it's not a very cheap option. I was thinking of totally smoothing off the front bumper, then fabricate a bracket that holds the import plate holder in the current position, but fastens from underneath the bumper that cannot be seen. Quick release pin and it's removable for shows etc.
ryan

Post by ryan »

RST wrote:
riot68 wrote:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8151_n.jpg

Jap plate holder in stock location and slightly smaller (but not much) type than motorbike size (alled on import). Not been driving it long but no interest so far and sailed through an MOT, have same size on the rear too...

This is the size I have and I got pulled by the local tossers, told them they dont know what theyre on about and theyve left me alone since. Still plenty of chavs driving around with very loud exhausts,, blue side lights and fog lights permantly on. They wonder why people hate them!

[Not talking]

....actually THEY are correct and they are doing their job for pulling you. You MUST fit a UK sized plate unless the bodywork etc prohibits the fitment of a UK sized plate. There's no MR2 I've seen which can't fit a UK sized plate on the front as there's no moulded recess for an import one. You just can't argue on this one, it's in black and white what is legal, whatever you get away with outside of this is your own doing. The argument about other wrong doings is immaterial unless you abide by the law. They have every right to pull you on a plate if it does not meet the DVLA spec verbatim.

...actually, youre totally wrong my friend, as long as its a non euro approved car, and I have correct size letters, spacing and margins, my IMPORT plate is totally legal :whistle:
steve

Post by steve »

ryan wrote:
riot68 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8151_n.jpg

Jap plate holder in stock location and slightly smaller (but not much) type than motorbike size (allowed on import). Not been driving it long but no interest so far and sailed through an MOT, have same size on the rear too...

This is the size I have and I got pulled by the local tossers, told them they dont know what theyre on about and theyve left me alone since.

i've got a 6 digit numberplate, all text on one line on both plates, in correct sized import font (3/4 size UK front plate).

I got pulled over as part of big police/dvla/vosa operation a few months ago, because of my exhaust & plates.

they all went over my car with a fine tooth combe, after i told them it was an import (which they confirmed) all was fine :thumleft:
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

If one wants to be REALLY pendantic - there is a small recess around the edge of the front import number plate holder lol.

Lets be honest there does come a time when individual police will make up their own minds - one will pull pull you - the next wont....

Look at the amount of discussion going on in this thread about what is legal and what isnt lol

The one undeniable truth is that a small number plate is bound to attract more attention....!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Meko wrote:is there a legal requirement on plate size? isn't the requirement just on the letter size and the space of the gaps between the digits?

No there isnt you just have to have 10mm of plastic round the digits (or 5mm with import size digits)
I have had these plates on a few cars and the only police interest has been traffic officers who are impressed by them :shock:
BrianUK
Premium Member

Post by BrianUK »

Doesn't make them illegal - it just means that they are not aware of any lol

:) Brian

Return to “Modifications”