[Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to swap speakers for after market ones

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to swap speakers for after market ones

Post by dellams »

And whats the steps to do this?

i.e. easy ways of getting the panels off, etc without snapping anything or adding new rattles after you put it all back together, especially considering there will be increased vibrations from the uprated speakers too!

I have a pair of 6x9's I just want to quickly and easily swap in, prob for the rear speakers...

I did try to get the head unit off but its a Sony head unit and Halfords came out with a big set of every type of removal tool and couldnt get it off! So thought would be easier just to get to the shitty stock speakers and replace them using the existing wiring...

Cheers. :thumleft:
Rev3 TURBO TBAR running aprox 280bhp @ 1bar (320bhp after re-map soon...)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How easy is it to swap speakers for after market ones

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

lol Halfords... Jokers. Take it somewhere decent mate Halfrauds are so clueless its untrue, nobody has a good story about them!

The headunit is in a cage you can pop all the trim off and unscrew it yourself it takes a while but even I have done it before. Unless yours is fitted totally different?
dellams

Post by dellams »

Mine is a aftermarket sony headunit, so would that still be fitted the same?
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Yeah ive had all aftermarket ones and its a while since i did it but i removed my last one myself. If you pop all the plastic trim off around it, and i think it needed to pop off some trim round the gear stick if I remember right, (think i removed all the plastic trim and painted it at the time actually) and you will see it is screwed into like a cage thing i think its in two pieces one either side of the headunit its ages since i did it couple of winters ago. but u can remove it yourself its not like those slide out jobs its in there pretty secure! Not easy to nick I guess either.

With regards the speakers, i need to have a doorcard off myself and have a look at how big the stock ones are, is it 5 and a half inch? Because halfrauds wouldnt/couldnt fit anything larger. So i need to cut my doorcards and make some kind of spacer to get them to fit but I dont have much of a clue how! And to keep a good sound.

Would be interested to see how other people have done it, and the 6x9`s I want to mount in the cubby boxes behind the seats that shouldnt be too hard.

But in answer to the question I think MR2`s arent the easiest to fit new systems in unless you are confident/competent and used to doing this kinda stuff. They dont seem to be easy straight swap in and out like some cars. Well mine hasnt been.lol.

There must be loads of people on here who have changed loads of systems into their MR`s so hopefully someone will pop up with some more useful help shortly cos I could do with some aswell.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok thanks mate. I'll have a look then.

For now I just want to quickly fit the 6x9s behind the seats. could I use the existing wiring going to the back speakers or splice off them? Just need to know exactly where the rear speakers and cables are now?
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I bought a cheap set of carpeted MDF boxes off ebay and put them behind each seat, only tempory until I take the door cards off and fit something better. As the wiring is tempory I tucked it under the plastic cover of the centre console, then with the dash trim off you can pull it up behind the ash tray and take it to the back of the head unit.

Only way to get to the head unit is to take the dash off but it all unclips its not hard.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Yeah thats exactly the sort of thing I want to do for now since only temp too until I know whether im keeping the car or not before I do it properly all round.
dellams

Post by dellams »

But I as hoping to just use the existing boxes behind the seats that are already there? Should be bigger enough I think?
RST

Post by RST »

Yea, forget halfords! My local store used to say a std install costs £350 -right up to the point when I showed him the correct £25 autloeads adapter in his catalogue, then he just said "oh dear". Never saw that before did you?

I've just got on and fitted head units and piled in -no bother, most of them don't fit either because they were robbed from other cars or people just botched the install. The adapter kits are all out there. One material I can rate as I just fitted new speakers in my mk 3 today is this stuff...

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/SOUNDMAT_PADS_SOUND

I've used similar bodystuff in new doors (and very expensive dynamat once) but this stuff is very good for the money, it's very compliant and very sticky. It seems as good as dynamat but at a fraction of the cost. I just did my MK3 doors and door cards after fitting aftermarket speakers and the rattles seem allot less and the sound seems allot better also.

Just to say this is the most effective stuff I've used and it's so cheap for the same price as I've paid for a single square of dynamat before.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

+1 for sound deadening - the dynamat stuff IS better, as its absorption coefficients are more even across a given frequency range than cheaper stuff. Just stay away from really cheap rolls of 'sound deadening' from ebay - its just flashing tape, and terrible.

I used Silent Coat for my doors: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent- ... -door.html

I need to take the cards off and put some more in as there are still a couple rattles at volume.

I really wouldnt bother with 6x9's behind the seats - you will not get much in the way of high mid to high frequencies as they will be quite directional, and firing into the back of the seat, which will absorb a lot of it. The ideal setup for an MR2 would be 5.25 or 6.5inch (6.5's fit with appropriate MDF adapters) in the doors, amped, and if you want better bass response a nice 8 or 10inch sub behind one of the seats, or behind both if you have the cash.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Hmm. Sorry to hijack the thread again has anybody put larger door speakers in and cut the doorcards to make them fit? Any pics?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've fitted 6.5's, but I did not need to cut the doorcards. They are on some shitty plastic adapters at the moment, I need to make some MDF ones, just not got round to it lol.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok thanks guys.

In the end I have replaced the stock back speakrs with 6x9's as a temp measure.

Will the stock wiring be fine for that? What 6x9's do people recommend?

THe ones I had were so hold that they broke up a lot, tried a few one halfords, which were better but still broke up when you get to medium sound level, still hardly no base.

Does anyone recommend some decent 6x9's?

Cheers.

Return to “Electrical”