[Mk2] [Generic] front numberplate

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

[Mk2] [Generic] front numberplate

Post by jack-p »

i've been struggling to choose a front numberplate since i like the look of it without one! can people post up pics smaller than standard numberplates please or sticker numberplates or any ideas you may have :mrgreen:
measurements would be good too :thumleft:
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] front numberplate

Post by craig »

I wouldn't bother mate, standard import size/lettering

No point being a cop magnet. Each to their own though :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Had mine 3 years with no interest from the cops.
It's full size and fully reflective etc though so that helps.

Wingers
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Jap plate holder in stock location and slightly smaller (but not much) type than motorbike size (allowed on import). Not been driving it long but no interest so far and sailed through an MOT, have same size on the rear too...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
ryan

Post by ryan »

riot68 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8151_n.jpg

Jap plate holder in stock location and slightly smaller (but not much) type than motorbike size (allowed on import). Not been driving it long but no interest so far and sailed through an MOT, have same size on the rear too...

This is the size I have and I got pulled by the local tossers, told them they dont know what theyre on about and theyve left me alone since. Still plenty of chavs driving around with very loud exhausts,, blue side lights and fog lights permantly on. They wonder why people hate them! [-(
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

i had that size above but fell off and got me thinking about replacing with soemthing different. i've been driving around for a few weeks now with my numberplate on the dash and havnt been stopped, i guess its just not as noticeable when its the front numberplate.
any more pics guys? a chance to pic whore! 8)
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

:lol: Wingers...did you black that double yellow line out to park your car there? :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

with Toyo's finest.....Actually no but that would have been even better lol.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Wouldn't mind trying a stick on plate when I get an aeroware front lip sorted,not sure what an import letter size normal plate (Ie not square 2 line) size would be or would it even fit on the Aeroware :?

:D
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZJ_oIETAw

Thats what I want! I`d go for standard jap size plates for road use, and when you want to go plateless for photos/shows just press a button.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Loads of pics of my front stick on in my garage. 5yrs plus and no problems to report. Can only help aero and cooling.

R.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

D4N_V_U wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZJ_oIETAw

Thats what I want! I`d go for standard jap size plates for road use, and when you want to go plateless for photos/shows just press a button.

I've seen this sort of thing on bikes for covert stuff :whistle: ,cops caught the guy and he was in a world of pain.

Even though your idea is not to avoid the law I'm sure plod would have different ideas.

Just my thoughts though :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Police will not bother you if the plate is of correct size/style lettering and visible. (Asked one last night during the folling incident)

Short story: Policeman wanted to know why my mates MR2 had no registration plates on it (he had just driven to and parked in a BP garage car park talking to me and had previously taken plates off to prep the bumpers for paint). They wanted to know how he had got the car there with no plates and to see if it had recently been driven one copper put his hand on the front bonnet (as it was cold he said ok and off they went)- once they had gone we laughed at his stupidity!!

Lee
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Mmm,plates that can be hidden at the flick of a switch,wouldn't want to risk that one with the wrong copper.

:thumleft:
lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

the pervious owner of my 2 put the front plate in a place ive not seen on another one. I live down the road from our local cop shop and they are all fine with it - i even asked my mate who is in the force and apparently its nice and legal! I think its quite a good look - there a a few pics in my garage i think.
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Mmm,plates that can be hidden at the flick of a switch,wouldn't want to risk that one with the wrong copper.
How would they know? So long as you didnt abuse the use of it, and drive with legal font/legal sized plate, surely it would be fine? Just flick the switch at shows and for pics. Although no doubt theres some spoil sport law against it even being installed on the vehicle. I hope not though. :lol:
RST

Post by RST »

Just check up with DVLA. They're pretty non-ambiguous regarding plates and still haven't seen anything OK'ing stick-on plates yet.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_178975

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... /DG_181503

"The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that meet the British Standard requirements. "

Plates are one of the easiest things to buy, walk in with your V5, walk out with a new plate for £8'odd each -totally simples!
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

Get an import - and get a 5 character numberplate :)

:) Brian
RST

Post by RST »

riot68 wrote:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8151_n.jpg

Jap plate holder in stock location and slightly smaller (but not much) type than motorbike size (alled on import). Not been driving it long but no interest so far and sailed through an MOT, have same size on the rear too...

This is the size I have and I got pulled by the local tossers, told them they dont know what theyre on about and theyve left me alone since. Still plenty of chavs driving around with very loud exhausts,, blue side lights and fog lights permantly on. They wonder why people hate them!

[Not talking]

....actually THEY are correct and they are doing their job for pulling you. You MUST fit a UK sized plate unless the bodywork etc prohibits the fitment of a UK sized plate. There's no MR2 I've seen which can't fit a UK sized plate on the front as there's no moulded recess for an import one. You just can't argue on this one, it's in black and white what is legal, whatever you get away with outside of this is your own doing. The argument about other wrong doings is immaterial unless you abide by the law. They have every right to pull you on a plate if it does not meet the DVLA spec verbatim.
Meko

Post by Meko »

is there a legal requirement on plate size? isn't the requirement just on the letter size and the space of the gaps between the digits?

Return to “Modifications”