Aluminium Flywheels

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Aluminium Flywheels

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have been looking at flywheels to purchase recently and I can pick one up from the US for less money than buying one in this country from Fensport, but it is of a manufacturer I have heard of.

What are the best manufacturers to buy from?
aw11rally

Re: Aluminium Flywheels

Post by aw11rally »

We've got a fidenza flywheel in the rally car. We had it balanced before fitting it and it needed very little taking off, wasn't 100% though, there was room for improvement.

I think exedy also do one but I've never come across theirs.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Be aware that 95% of the flywheels that are for sale in the US are for the 200mm Mk1a clutch type, so if you have a Mk1b the clutch won't fit.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Be aware that 95% of the flywheels that are for sale in the US are for the 200mm Mk1a clutch type, so if you have a Mk1b the clutch won't fit.

And from experience a decent 200mm friction plate isn't particularly easy to get hold of. Helix quoted me over a week as they had to build one fitst. Not many places hold high performance mk1a (200mm) plates in stock.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

aw11rally wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:Be aware that 95% of the flywheels that are for sale in the US are for the 200mm Mk1a clutch type, so if you have a Mk1b the clutch won't fit.

And from experience a decent 200mm friction plate isn't particularly easy to get hold of. Helix quoted me over a week as they had to build one fitst. Not many places hold high performance mk1a (200mm) plates in stock.

Exedy do, but be prepared to bend over to pay (i'm running one)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah thanks for the reminder Paul, a few US companies I have contacted don't actually list the mk1b flywheel, they are usually Mk1a 200mm size :(

I could however just get a mk1a clutch, as my clutch would probably have to be replaced anyway at the same time.
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Yeah thanks for the reminder Paul, a few US companies I have contacted don't actually list the mk1b flywheel, they are usually Mk1a 200mm size :(

I could however just get a mk1a clutch, as my clutch would probably have to be replaced anyway at the same time.

I have a brand new standard road clutch for a mk1a (200mm) sitting on the shelf you can have for free if you come collect. PM me if you're interested. It doesn't fit mine and it's been sitting on the shelf doing nothing for a year now.

cheers
Jason
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Thanks Jason, but I'ved sourced one from Twosrus in the US now who have confirmed that their flywheel is 212mm diameter. Cheers for the offer of the clutch anyway :thumleft:
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

jnoiles wrote:
I have a brand new standard road clutch for a mk1a (200mm) sitting on the shelf you can have for free if you come collect. PM me if you're interested. It doesn't fit mine and it's been sitting on the shelf doing nothing for a year now.

Hey jnoiles, if SuperRedMR2 doesn't want it and you want to ship it to Belgium (or to my budy in London) I can take it of your hands, just name your price.
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

SuperRed,

out of interest how much did it cost including postage? What sort of gains will you see from it? I'm interested in getting one as my clutch needs changing soon (although) it needed changing soon four years ago and has been fine since. lol Would obviously make sense to do both at the same time.

Cheers
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hello mlhs,

I haven't bought it yet, I have to get some other bits and pieces to make the most of the postage, but the flywheel on its own plus postage is $414 which equates to £253.

I am unsure of the gains, but my current one has been described as the 'grand canyon' due to dropping the clutch a few times which has resulted in complete demolition of two clutches in two years.

And yes, as you'd be taking the box off to do the flywheel may as well do the clutch at the same time. I was going to get a hold of an Exedy clutch this time as my last two haven't lasted very long. If you're going to spend money on a flywheel may as well spend more than usual with a clutch to go with it, that and new flywheel bolts from ARP
:)
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

You should ask about a group buy, as im after one too.
Smallport 4AGTE
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Not to jack thre thread, but if anyone is looking for an AW11 4agze Fidanza aluminum flywheel, I happen to have one that it looks like I will not be using anymore. It is brand new, still in the manufacturer's box, and has been balanced. Shipping from the US.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have asked the question MK1Chris :thumleft:

I know Paul Woods is after one as well, so have asked if there is a discount :)
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

Good stuff, let me know what comes of it as I'm about to split my engine and g'box hopefully for the last time :thumleft:
Smallport 4AGTE
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

Thats not too bad. Keep us updated with regards to what discount they would offer on a groub buy. I really want a new set of golf clubs though so that would eat into the budget for them, just hope i win euro millions tomorrow and problem solved :thumleft:
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I'd be interested in one if you do a group buy too. Been meaning to get one for a while; now is as good a time as any if it's doable. I can't imagine weight of the items will help much though... :?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

monkeymax wrote:I'd be interested in one if you do a group buy too. Been meaning to get one for a while; now is as good a time as any if it's doable. I can't imagine weight of the items will help much though... :?

Luckily, when it gets to a certain weight you can stick it on a pallet with no weight limit (I think)

Ebay also has some flywheel/clutch combo's.

But dont forget to add in taxes when they hit the uk.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

They came back to me yday saying that if I buy three they will let them go for $300 a piece and I would save a fortune on postage obviously.

Myself, MK1Chris and Max could be the three, but Paul Woods is also after one and I have PM'ed him with this info. They did however say they have four available so Max you could get a hold of one as well.

I'll let you know what Mr Woods says.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
monkeymax wrote:I'd be interested in one if you do a group buy too. Been meaning to get one for a while; now is as good a time as any if it's doable. I can't imagine weight of the items will help much though... :?

Luckily, when it gets to a certain weight you can stick it on a pallet with no weight limit (I think)

Ebay also has some flywheel/clutch combo's.

But dont forget to add in taxes when they hit the uk.

Yeah I have seen the eBay clutch combos but I was after a known make such as fidanza and the other companies excluding Exedy I hadnt heard of.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”