[Mk2] [Generic] Gaz's low rise pop up lights

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gazrev1tubby

[Mk2] [Generic] Gaz's low rise pop up lights

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Hi guys, I've been working on these over the last few evenings - they still need a fair bit of work, but I'm getting there.
Going to spray the inside of the lights black, so they look like separate units, but you get the idea.
They've not cost anything close to rogues units, which I know are awesome, but you know me - I like to create my own little mods !!!!

Thanks to steve_c for letting me use his car as a guinea pig :thumleft:

Thoughts ?

And a vid of the n/s working
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt33 ... bb22e1.mp4
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Gaz's low rise pop up lights

Post by djpkins »

Looking good man...are you going to do both? I personally think they look great but...also looks to me that you need more effective brakes...lol...pukka mate.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I think they look excellent.

I bought GTO lights months ago to hopefully make low-rise lights but they are still sitting in the shed. What lights did you use ??? width wise, they look to fill the 7" width of the stock shroud ?

Did you use Rogue "arms" to get the height right ?

Are they height adjustable ?

Any chance of a how2 ? :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

They look ruddy good fella.... good work. I have the Rogues but I reckon they're just as nice.

R.
OwenK

Post by OwenK »

Are those the motorbike lights from eBay that have a flip-up cover that comes with them? Looks good, considering it myself...
craig

Post by craig »

Looking good matey :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Looking good :thumleft: :thumleft:

Don't knock the price of the Rogue one's though, remember they're a retail product and geared up for manufacture, the component costs aren't much less for what you're buying when you break it down.

Is that quad projectors within glass lenses? That's a really nice touch, how do you access them for adjustment though?

They look really good so far :thumleft:

Did you use Rogue "arms" to get the height right ?

...Rogue "arms" are pretty much just little pillowball mounts with a threaded rod shaft -you can get equivalent stuff (ish) from most industrial supply places which sell air piston stuff (I've bought this stuff on account often enough for work projects). But not sure on the retail price.

Just one question -what do you do for "upper bump stops", my one criticism of the Rogue kit is I could never get my upper stops to fit around 2 bumpers and had to leave them out. Wasn't a problem driving "down south" but on the roads up where I live they used to bounce almost as much as BMW HID's which wasn't great.
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

looking good mate :thumleft:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Thanks for the comments guys, they're not projectors, but kit car/motorcycle twin headlamps that I bought from a local motorcycle spares shop.

The lifting arms are the original Toyota jobbies, but cut down and modified. The light units are fitted into the stock housings using custom brackets that I designed, allowing adjustment using the stock method, and the stock upper bump stops have been retained - again slightly modified :)

I was going to use projectors, but after doing my flush quads, I didn't find the light output was sufficient with standard bulbs. I've fitted hids which are much better, but not ideal considering they're technically not legal.

I'll be continuing with these over the weekend and will hopefully have some more progress pics. Lately I've spent the majority of my time filling and sanding the shrouds ! An arduous task to say the least ! Once they're done, I'm going to attempt to copy the shrouds in fibreglass :)

The units will also accept h1 bulbs, so I may try hids in them providing h1 dual filament are available. Hopefully they'll be good enough with just nightbreakers though :thumleft:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Just to add, I wasn't knocking rogues units, I think they're awesome and good value, considering the price of the parts.

I just like to be different \:D/
RST

Post by RST »

Light output not suffient with projectors? -How? Unles they'yre much smaller than Rogues noes (available through CBS as individual units!). Aside from the Rogue package -I found projectors a thousand times better then the stock beam pattern?

Looks good anyway.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Rogues are 90mm hella units, that can be bought from CBS as you mentioned. My flush quads have 70mm projectors so I guess the output wouldn't be as good.
I just found that instead of creating a nice spread of light, you just end up with focused light beams on the road. For instance, on a country lane at night, I can't see the sides of the road
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

A very small update, I've finally got one of the shrouds finished. I don't get much spare time so I do what I can, when I can

ryan

Post by ryan »

Those shrouds look good, glad youve gone with the rectangular set up, the round rogue ones dont suit the MR2 in my opinion, and dont seem to sit right :-k
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

looking good, would look even better if you could find lenses that were another 1" shorter, are there any options out there?
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Thanks guys :thumleft:

Managed to get the light built up and ready to install. Just the other side to do now :roll:

The lights are 5" high so total lift height is around 135mm or 5.5". It would have been nice to find 4" units but I couldn't find any. Didn't want to go with seperate units as it's a pain to get them to adjust properly.

Now I know that it can be done, if I find 4" units - I may look into them. It'll only be the shrouds that'll need fabricating smaller :thumleft:
Simpson

Post by Simpson »

They look good!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Could you not push the light up a bit higher in the shroud so some of the lens is covered, only the light exposed, then do the same at the bottom by adjusting the height it pops up. From looking at the rouge ones they leave the bottom of the round light very close to the bodywork.

Look very good, have you got a link to the lights? I saw 2 narrow rectangle lights one on top of the other and had the idea of half exposed for dipped then fully exposed for main beam.
ryan

Post by ryan »

They look great, good work!
craig

Post by craig »

Good work man.:clap:

Return to “Modifications”