[Mk2] [Turbo] engine fan wiring can i do this? wot have you done/

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ren0W

Re: lol

Post by Ren0W »

kennym wrote:my post has been hijacked with less than half the posts answering my question,...... the rest are essentually a my d1cks bigger than your d1ck , & im smarter than you contest,.....

I have to say this has just been won by someone using science & maths rather than pub theores,....... well done,....

What's the problem?
You got your answer at page 1 already.

Now let the people discuss the other part.
I'm interested in this as well.

That's what a discussion is. Someone thinks this way, and the other thinks the opposite.
You don't have to bring d1cks to this discussion, regardless how much you like them [-X
kennym

you got it wrong

Post by kennym »

dantheman wrote:my apologies. ill stay out your way.

on the contrary, you made sence, thanks.....

.......... although how you can think me saying you won a contest for large genaitailia is anything but compliment does confuse me .....lol
kennym

Post by kennym »

Ren0W wrote:
kennym wrote:my post has been hijacked with less than half the posts answering my question,...... the rest are essentually a my d1cks bigger than your d1ck , & im smarter than you contest,.....

I have to say this has just been won by someone using science & maths rather than pub theores,....... well done,....

What's the problem?
You got your answer at page 1 already.

Now let the people discuss the other part.
I'm interested in this as well.

That's what a discussion is. Someone thinks this way, and the other thinks the opposite.
You don't have to bring d1cks to this discussion, regardless how much you like them [-X

opps the secrets out....... though they do say it takes a prober gay boy t spot a colosset gay......
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

kennym wrote:opps the secrets out....... though they do say it takes a prober gay boy t spot a colosset gay......

Yes, because talking about male genaitailia all the time isn't obvious enough already :thumleft:
kennym

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] engine fan wiring can i do this? wot have you done/

Post by kennym »

I thought people from the nether regions were more liberal,

anyway people sure of their own sexuality arnt phazed by such hummor

its usually those that take issuethat,....... well .... protest to much, me thinks
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Kennyn You appear to have now hijacked your own thread :jocolor: :clap:
which is cool :thumleft: :wink:

So TFS your missus has an Mr2,
for which your having an engine lid shroud made ,
to fit fans in......
But have gone to great lengths to say dont work, and are a waste of
money
Hmmmmm :-k
Last edited by planted1 on Fri May 27, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennym

Post by kennym »

planted1 wrote:You appear to have now hijacked your own thread :jocolor: :clap:

DOH!
dantheman

Re: you got it wrong

Post by dantheman »

kennym wrote:
dantheman wrote:my apologies. ill stay out your way.

on the contrary, you made sence, thanks.....

.......... although how you can think me saying you won a contest for large genaitailia is anything but compliment does confuse me .....lol

haha having not paid much attention to your problem as wiring is not my strong point i wasnt sure if you had got an answer or not, i didnt want to take attention away from your query. However i am glad you like my genitalia, its pleasing to know they are getting a positive reputation. :lol:
pnicho

Post by pnicho »

Christ - I go and get my car MOT'd and it turns into primary school here - amusing but fun.

For your info T.F.S I ran today without the fans on and then with the fans on at 70mph and had a 3 degree difference in my intake temps. I'm happy with that. As someone said if you think they're not worth it and you're happy to sit here and argue the b0 llocks off with people why don't you tell your wife the same thing?

Anyway Kenny, I'll try and answer your question now.

What you need to do is get a resistor with the same impedance as the original intercooler fan. Connect this across the fan terminals and then take a wire off from the positive of these terminals to use as your trigger wire for the relay for the new fans.

Next you need to cut one of the wires and only one of the wires coming off the temp sensor in the engine bay. Connect 2 wires one to each of the broken ends and run these into your car through the fire wall (there's a nice entry point below where the air filter is).

Run this to the switch wherever you want. When the switch is closed and making contact then the fans will run according to when the temp sensor tells the ecu it's too hot. When you flick the switch and make the sensor open circuit then the ecu will think the engine bay is too hot and turn the fans on permanently.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

pnicho.the main reason im now using a fan kit is because i have a swirl pot in the engine bay and like the ideea of having extra cooling at standstill, also its a good idea for use on a dyno for use at motorway speeds i believe they are useless yes

also im not married lol

the kit i used cost me £60 all in
kennym

Post by kennym »

T.F.S. wrote:pnicho.the main reason im now using a fan kit is because i have a swirl pot in the engine bay and like the ideea of having extra cooling at standstill, also its a good idea for use on a dyno for use at motorway speeds i believe they are useless yes

also im not married lol

the kit i used cost me £60 all in

by now most people would either go quiet or say "you know what I could of been wrong about this one"

it takes a specilal kind of man t keep saying black is indeed white..... oh well....waits foY some other reason a seamingly inteligent gut just wont GIVE IT UP
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

can you explain what part of that post that you dont agree with?
kennym

?

Post by kennym »

no cant be botherd cos your obvously never wrong
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

was it the bit about being married?

anyway i updated my build thread with a diy fan kit build if anyone is interested
planted1

Post by planted1 »

I've been reading it ,and seen you've put a lot of hard work into it
:thumleft: .
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

Heres an easy test I tried :)

• Tie some ribbons to the outlet grills on the engine lid. Turn on the fans - watch the ribbons stand up and dance in the airflow.

Switch off the fans - go find a motorway - open up the car - watch the ribbons in the mirror.

It isnt till the car gets to 80mph that the ribbons react as though the fans were on....
So.. the air being pulled though the engine bay vents is equivelent to traveling at 80 mph :)

RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

But even at 80, all this means is that the pressure reduction is enough to overcome the weight of the ribbons but it does not show the lift force to which is being created. if you was to attach a newton meter to the bottom of a ribbon, i bet the force of the fans will still be much greater than that of the 80mph vacuum!
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

you still sticking to your 4mph estimate ryan?

that test is interesting, could you repeat that test with the fans on brian?
BrianUK
Premium Member

Post by BrianUK »

Im happy with my test - it stands as far as Im concerned - at anything under 80 mph the fans are pulling air througth then engine bay more effectively then the car can do on its own.

Another interesting observation is that when driving in the rain - with the fans on - keeps the engine lid dry as the rain is blown away lol

All the dials, tests, measurements, calculations (theory) cant prove whats really happening (practice) wrong - it just means you have the theory wrong lol.

I would not suggest that its worth running the fans once out of town and out of traffic.

To me the the benefit of the additional fans is not that they cool the engine (I have a radiator for that) but that they flow air over and around the turbo.

In stop/start (town and traffic) conditions the turbo will get hot and not have a flow of air over it to keep it cool. We all know the danger of oil baking onto the the inside of the turbo oil lines (hence the popularity of turbo timers) so a little extra cooling can be no bad thing :)

So my choice - my money - I fitted the fans - I can see that they work, and I know that they are pulling cool air over a hot turbo when Im stuck at yet another set of traffic lights :)

One last thing - this is meant to be a freindy site :)

Brian
T.F.S.

Re: :)

Post by T.F.S. »

BrianUK wrote:
All the dials, tests, measurements, calculations (theory) cant prove whats really happening (practice) wrong - it just means you have the theory wrong lol.

I would not suggest that its worth running the fans once out of town and out of traffic.

One last thing - this is meant to be a freindy site :)

exactly.

Return to “Modifications”