DIY wheel paint

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sub_Culture

Re: DIY wheel paint

Post by Sub_Culture »

marcbowden wrote:It looks good.

What is HTH?

Sub_Culture wrote:
marcbowden wrote:Andy, did you spray or hand paint the hammerite on?

Sprayed, mate. Used two cans for all four wheels. HTH.

Andy

Sorry, Hope That Helps!!!

Satin black works well with BRG and gold can also work quite well. Depends what other colour coding you have really. I think yellow works well with BRG but you may need something else as well as the wheels to pull it all together in my opinion.

Andy
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Dark gold looks good on BRG (like the TE37 gold) matt black would be nice to or gun metal silver would look better than bright.

All IMHO
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Aaargh, I thought it was something to do with Heat Treatment! :D

Was it gold you used?

I'd like the car to remain BRG, I can't see me putting on any other gold paint apart from the wheels. I also have a slight thing about not getting all the cosmetics perfect and then get on a track .. something about tempting fate :}
pcp

Post by pcp »

marc in blackpool wrote:
ci_newman wrote:If you're taking the wheels back to the metal before painting, I would recommend using an acid-etch primer before spraying with a normal primer - It should allow the paint to hold better.

As mentioned above though, it is pretty easy to do. It's just time consuming and you have to be patient. You should allow at least 24 hours of drying time between each type of cover i.e.:
Acid Etch - 24 hours - Primer - 24 hours - Paint - 24 hours - Laquer - 24 hours - Fit to car

Not many people have a spare set of wheels to use in the interim!

acid etch is cured in alot less time than that ! bare in mind there is an acid etch primer based for use on alloy :thumleft: i have use of an oven bake and do things a lil quicker than this but this info is spot on :mrgreen:

This makes me think i could have a go at this myself, any particular brand of acid etch? had a quick google and all i can find is fancy glasses ](*,) also do you just put the stuff on or do you need to sand through the paint/lacquer first?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Great thread! Sorry to hijack, hopefully this might help others too!

Steve-o, what do you use to fill curb marks if they're too deep to sand out? I have one on one of my wheels and its too deep for sanding...

Also, I'm thinking of painting the inner area of the spokes dark anthracite, but keeping the front surface and lip as is. At the moment, the whole wheel is polished alloy, with no lacquer or anything, what would be the best way to go about this? Here's a pic of the wheel for reference...

Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Leeroy wrote:Great thread! Sorry to hijack, hopefully this might help others too!

Steve-o, what do you use to fill curb marks if they're too deep to sand out? I have one on one of my wheels and its too deep for sanding...

Also, I'm thinking of painting the inner area of the spokes dark anthracite, but keeping the front surface and lip as is. At the moment, the whole wheel is polished alloy, with no lacquer or anything, what would be the best way to go about this? Here's a pic of the wheel for reference...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184 ... C00210.jpg

Any pictures of the curb mark? If its a standard Alloy wheel (Not polished lip) then we just use filler but if its a Polished lip we use a wheel machine, looks a little bit like the machines that change tyres -

But with a Polisher / grinder arm instead. You put the wheel on (take it apart if its a split rim), lock it on, press the pedal to spin it and then grind it down till the marks gone. Because the wheel is spinning the whole lip stays even. Once marks are gone you spin the wheel again and by hand hold 180 on it, 320, 400, 500, 800, 1500 and 2000. Then change the grinding disc for a polishing disc and put metal polish on and polish it up. The longer you hold the 800, 1500, 2000 on it the better the finish.

Obviously if theres a huge curb mark you might not be able to get it fully out :)

No idea how I would paint them spokes sorry, Im just starting to do wheels realy but at a guess what I would do at the bodyshop I work at is take wheel apart, mask the areas of the spokes off you dont want painted to protect them from the sanding disc then 400 the inside of the spokes. take masking tape off, de grease them, mask up again and then paint them how I said before. but thats just a guess :)

Stopped back tonight to finish prepping my stock wheels. Rear ones will come out good but the front might not be as good. looks like someone has shot / sand blasted them at some point making them all bitty. Going to paint them in a Mirror black (VERY shinny black) and might dust some silver on them or a light coat of white, wonder what that would be like...

Oh yea, NEVER get your wheels sandblasted thinking it will save you stripping / sanding them down.. it chips the wheels to bits.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Just a bit of an update on this. Although generally, from 2-3 metres away, the wheels look ok-ish now, hand-painted black, where I did not prep the wheels properly, periodically paint is coming off on the rim. A lot of the paint I put on the nuts came straight off, but strangely, just on one wheel. So, I would definitely avoid doing what I did! I wish I had just - is it about £60 a wheel min.? - forked out for a nice graphite grey refurb in the first place :?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”