[Mk2] [Turbo] The Red Devil..... the troubleshoot begins!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTSAARON

[Mk2] [Turbo] The Red Devil..... the troubleshoot begins!

Post by GTSAARON »

Hi Guys

**I have edited the title of the thread as it is now going a whole lot deeper... so I think I need to add some context. The car in question is a 92 rev2 tubby with a ct20b turbo. The engine was reconditioned in 2008. The car itself has had a colourful past, having been owned by RED TYSON, welshboyo and DBIAGIONI whom I bought it from yesterday. Dave brought the car back from the brink of the breakers yard to where it is now. So im taking the baton to restore the full potential back into the old girl! Inevitably there are issues, that need to be overcome to get her there, which is why I have started this thread and now modified it slightly so I can keep all technical issues with this one in one place. It will also be nice to chart the progress as i have some pretty cool plans further down the line.

Anyway heres a piccy (from the ad) :-) not to everybodys taste, but the body work is pretty mint, no rust or chips.

So the project starts..... as per usual with a list of problems.... lol first of which I asked below:

Looking for your thoughts on the following problem;

Collected Rev 2 tubby today, running ct20b turbo and metal HG with AVCR fitted but not programmed properly yet, so boost spikes above set value of 1 bar. It has a FCD fitted, but im not sure if its working.... was driving along, accelerated and hit perhaps slightly over a bar with boost spike and the car jolted, and engine light illuminated momentarily (I think it hit fuel cut) and then would not let me use any boost at al, until I reset the ECU. Checked fault codes.... 34.... boost pressure, so, could it be that

1. the boost spike exceeded the raised fuel cut level set by the fuel cut defender, or

2. could it be that the fuel cut defender is faulty, or

3. lastly could the knock sensor have failed due to the overboost?

The chap I brought the car from is fantastic, really helpful and tried some remote control diagnosis over the phone, and has even bought a new knock sensor and is posting it to me incase thats the problem.

My first port of call tomorrow is to set the Apexi AVCR up properly and see it this stops it, then unplug the factory plug thingy near the diagnostics port that controls the fuel cut, and this should eliminate possibilities and show the true cause...

so anybody any ideas that may save some head scratching in the mean time?? :-)

Cheers

Aaron
Last edited by GTSAARON on Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] The Red Devil..... the troubleshoot begins!

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Turn AVCR OFF.

Check boost pressure level. Should be actuator level ie half a bar ish. If not address the problem
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

](*,)

what exhaust are you using ?
I have the same thing happening, now with a stock actuator - just a bit slower this time.

Im thinking a 3 inch easy flowing exhaust might be causing the creep. Gonna look into a restrictor plate.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

The cars got a Phoenix poer dep 2 zaust on it. Im not sure whats happeninhg though, I have just been out, turned the AVCR off totally so it should run stock and on acceleration the boost just seems to climb and not stop until the fuel cut kicks in, this is obviously bad for the engine so im looking for possible solutions asap. It also ties in with the fact that even with the AVCR set at 0.8 bar the boost still climbed until fuel cut, i.e. the AVCR seemed to have pretty much no control over the boost.... any ideas much appreciated!! :-)
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

Kink in the hose that feeds the avcr solenoid?

Mine started boost spiking after I'd fitted my ebc. Found I'd kinked the hose so there was no air ever getting to the actuator
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

don't boost over stock unless a pro has health checked and set it up!

your car should not boost spike u have a problem there that needs addressing!

I will post ur sensor first thing in the morning :thumleft:

look after ur new toy and enjoy but do get it sorted by a pro or u will be calling it ur money pit :thumleft:
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Cheers matey.... look forward to receiving it :-)

The next issues are still related the boosting issue.

1. Whilst trying to sort the boosting one out by bypassing the AVCR solenoid to effectively return it to stock, I noticed some oil around the tube connecting the outlet of the turbo pressure tube (airside) and the actuator, I then went around the back of the car and there is a misty film of oil coating the back bumper, it feels greasy and smeary to the touch.... so does this sound like the turbo seals are shot?? It also smokes ever so slightly on idle sometimes??

2. The overboosting issue earlier on.... I checked to see if there are any boost leaks... couldnt find any, so I am now thinking that perhaps the actuator is not opening the wastegate correctly, perhaps because the wastgate id sticking or the actuator isn't working correctly.... how plausible does this sound?

Im a total novice, learning as i go so all you guys with the know how, I really do appreciate the input :-)

Thanks
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

1. maybe. first check the crank case breather. the pipe coming from rocker cover to induction. disconnect it and see if smoke comes out. note, your engine wil l run rough when you do this if the car is pre rev3 so tickle the throttle spindle. let us know how you get on and we will take it from there!

2. hum :-k possible actuator failurebut will wait for someone else to help here! don't worry if it is shot. I will sell u one cheap :thumleft:

3. don't worry u r in the best place for help :thumleft:
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Good call mate, 1st job on the card for the morning!! I think i may be tapping you up for parts quite a bit in the near future lol :lol:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

](*,) :roll: :lol:

as she is new to you I suggest:

compression check
oil pressure check
change oil and filter, use oem filter from flebay 8quid oil,10w 50 fully synthetic (bout 15 notes for comma)
change gearbox oil, gl4
check and change powestearing fluid
same with break and clutch fluid
flush out coolent and change ethnol glycol any good brand
check and gap plugs

u may not need to do any of above but do check all :thumleft:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

GTSAARON wrote:Cheers matey.... look forward to receiving it :-)

2. The overboosting issue earlier on.... I checked to see if there are any boost leaks... couldnt find any, so I am now thinking that perhaps the actuator is not opening the wastegate correctly, perhaps because the wastgate id sticking or the actuator isn't working correctly.... how plausible does this sound?

Thanks

I was going to say check for sticking actuator.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

is it breathing smoke from rocker cover? did you get actuator and knock sensor! the news paper is on the house :lol:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

unfortunately...his engine turned itself into a bag of spanners...not good at all, particularly as it came from this site...I really hope he gets all the support and help from the last owner....anyways...youz lot are $hit...why didn't you see this coming?
dbiagioni

red devil

Post by dbiagioni »

I was very sorry to hear it failed after such a short space of time. This was sorted out privately With the buyer.

Best of luck with the rebuild mate, if you need anything give me a ring :thumleft:
GTSAARON

Re: red devil

Post by GTSAARON »

dbiagioni wrote:I was very sorry to hear it failed after such a short space of time. This was sorted out privately With the buyer.

Best of luck with the rebuild mate, if you need anything give me a ring :thumleft:

To be fair Dave was very accomodating, no hard feelings at all :-)

Decided to break now mate, havent got the funds to get the car how i'd ideally like it, so hoping to make the cash back and start again. Fingers x'd! :-)

Return to “Mechanical”