[Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel wobble woes

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chrisbr68

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel wobble woes

Post by chrisbr68 »

Hi everyone,

Have not posted for a while.

I still have this ongoing annoying wobble from my car (in the steering wheel) which gets worse with speed. I need to do some diagnosis because I have had the wheels balanced many times and many garages look over the car but have never gotten to the bottom of it. The vibration is almost like a type of resonance, it will fade in and out, so must be down to a difference between the wheels on each side?

My best guess at the moment is that the spacers I have are causing a problem, or maybe there is a problem with the wheels themselves. For this reason, I think the next best check is to remove the wheels and spacers and have a go with some standard wheels.

Is anyone out there with some standard wheels that would not mind me trying them on the car to see if it solves the problem? I am in West London/Oxford. Certainly there are beer tokens in it!

Any advice or help really appreciated!

Thanks in advance Chris.
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel wobble woes

Post by Marf »

Check the where the hub meets the disc and where the disc meets the wheel for flatness.
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Marf wrote:Check the where the hub meets the disc and where the disc meets the wheel for flatness.

Good call, thanks mate
Marf

Post by Marf »

I had this on my charade, wheels were perfectly balanced, turns out the hub face was slightly warped.
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

I have this aswell! Really annoying! Im stripping the suspension down as its all pretty knackered! Anything else it could be while im taking it all apart?
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Is it easy to tell if the hub is slightly warped?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Lay a steel rule across it on the thin edge, you'll soon see if its not flat.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

chrisbr68 wrote:Is it easy to tell if the hub is slightly warped?

Or, if you hace access to a DTI, remove the disc and clock the face of the hub for runout.

It might be something as simple as dirt/corrosion on the hub face. Try removing the studs and giving the face(s) a thorough clean/scrape.

Edit: Just noticed you have spacers. Are they hubcentric? If not, try undoing the wheel nuts a little (a turn or two at the most), jack the front up and then re-tighten the wheels as much as you can with no weight on the wheels, then tighten them fully when the vehicle is down on the ground. This helps to centre the wheels using the tapers on the nuts/wheel.

Return to “Mechanical”