[Mk2] [Generic] Who says you can't get a 12" behind the seat in a mk2! :D

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Generic] Who says you can't get a 12" behind the seat in a mk2! :D

Post by RyanRs »

Bare in mind that i am no carpenter so im sure that if my following creation was made by a pro, the result is guaranteed to fit even better!

So, i love my Alpine Type-R 12" subs, they are awesome bass for buck and look fab! I decided to build my own box to fit this sub behind my seat..

I wasn't too bothered about the volume of the box in respect to the requirements of the sub at the time as tbh all i wanted was a 12" type R behind my seat :D But anyhow, i worked out the volume of my box and just by pure luck it fell just nicely in to the plus side of the minimum requirements for good, Tight quality sound! Bonus!

However, when i took the mr2 off the road for the engine rebuild, i decided to sell the sub and ever since i have wanted another to replace it. A couple of weeks ago i managed to get a 12" 2009 model Type-r -with the Ribbed surround, more power, better looking etc off ebay for an absolute bargain (£30 :shock: ) and decided its time to get it back behind my seat where it belongs! Unfortunately tho, the new 2009 models are bigger than the old Type-R's as they have a larger magnet and a large rubber protector ring on the front to allow for the extra excursion that the new model offers. This meant it no longer fit behind my seat unless the seat was 2 clicks forward.

New sub..

The original box design was a tight fit as it was but i decided not to give up as i had one more trick up my sleeve..

I Compacted the box by removing the rear section and fitting it inside the side walls as opposed to across them..

But you can see now that i have had to cut a hole for the magnet to stick out of!. I used a section of 1/4" MDF to cover this hole which lucky enough does not touch the engine bay firewall as the firewall curves away just before this point.

Heres the finished box.

And finally, here it is back where it should be :D

I can get the seat right back but the recline is limited, Tbh it puts the recline in the ideal position for good back posture :d But i have my seat 1 click forward from this anyway so its perfect for me. Im 5ft 10"

Obv i have lost some volume by making the box smaller but it still sounds great and i have not used the space under the box so i could extend the box down to re-gain that lost volume + more! The only other thing that could have been better was the angle of the front, if it was a little steeper then there would have been even more space behind the driver seat as the bottom of the sub is the closest part.

So, Next time someone says that you Cannot get a 12" behind the seat in a mk2... Think Again!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking :D
mrfil13

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Who says you can't get a 12" behind the seat in a mk2! :D

Post by mrfil13 »

Looks good, hows it sound?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I dont know yet tbh lol! I am waiting for an Alpine MRD-605 amp to pop up for sale somewhere. I had the old sub running underpowered off a 250w @4ohm rms alpine v12 (the type-r's are supposed to run at 301~500w rms), but it still sounded insane in the small cab! Strangely tho, the bass was deeper with the T-bar roof off!! The speaker certainly gave you a nice back massage as you drove down the road :mrgreen:

Cant wait to see what this new one will do with its extra excursion and an amp that's big enough to run it properly!
woz_106

Post by woz_106 »

Sub looks really nice mate, however my question is a little off topic :lol:

what passenger seat do you have in the last picture? and if it's the right one wanna sell it? :whistle:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

I had this trouble with my type X simple solution put the sub behind the seat I dont sit in :p

Thus not effecting me directly ;)

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I had a very similar problem when I changed from a dual 4ohm Kicker sub to a dual 2ohm (I rang the shop and asked if the depth was different and they said no) and both wanted a 1 cuft when it arrived it was deeper and wouldn't fit in the box so I made a 10mm spacer ring to go between the sub and the box enabling it to fit, but then after talking to Brett at kicker he told me I needed a larger gap between the the sub and the back of the box and he also suggested going ported with an external port so this 1.25cuft box was made.
which doesn't restrict the seat (unlike the 15" type R I used to have in there which meant the seat had to be 2 clicks forward) and the port fires over the seat
Harold

Post by Harold »

Wow, that's a lot of bass in a small cabin, i'd be worried about it vibrating my intestines and making me xxxx myself.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

holy xxxx, you can vapourize small pets with that thing!
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

Similar to the beasty i used to have in mine, although due to the sub being about 8" deep the passenger had to sit with their knees against the dash! haha. Also being 1200W RMS it was a great cure for constipation! :D

swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

lol I just built a box 4 my 15" 1.5k bass...ain't tested it yet!
the ported option took great....does it help increase bass & definition?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Got a 12" JL Audio sub in mine with Bride seats in, need to make a new box as it looks way too small for the sub and the back of it looks like its blown appart lol

got mine behind the pass seat as the amount off bass that comes through the seat just vibrates your eye balls etc so not exactly what you want when trying to focus on the road :wink:
Matty_GTS

Post by Matty_GTS »

Porting will make the sub louder but it will tend to be a little 'boomy' at a certain frequency. The sub will not sound as tight or refined as it tends to flap around more than in a sealed enclosure.
Raf

Post by Raf »

madbasshunter wrote:

if you set the port a bit lower it could have doubled up as mercs airscarf :lol:

Return to “ICE and Security”