Why ban Britains best ever rally car!!!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aw11rally

Why ban Britains best ever rally car!!!

Post by aw11rally »

On Saturday Cogboy and myself (and a few mates) trekked out into the Dyfi forest in Wales to do a spot of marshalling/spectating on the Plains Rally.

This season is the last time we will see Andy Burtons Peugot Cosworth rally car in action as due to rule changes next year it will be outlawed.

Here is a vid, what do you guys think?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/ ... 5965b5.mp4

Designed and built by a dairy farmer with limited support/sponsorship. 4wd, sequential box, ex DTM cosworth V6.
DiYMCRT

Re: Why ban Britains best ever rally car!!!

Post by DiYMCRT »

saw mr.burton at the halfway stage last year when the wrc was on i can't remeber which rally he was inn but it ran straight after the wrc infact i can't remeber could of been the end of 09 i remeber daniel sordo stalled on the hairpin around the haybail and we all got to cheer :D and feel alittle bit better about our own driving abilites :lol:

this is a great car though and definatly competative but it does seem to have more work then some of it's competitors
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Pretty much every spectator we spoke to was there to see and hear burtons car. British rallying won't be the same without that screaming V6.

I think one of the reasons for banning it may be that is is within a couple if seconds of the current works WRC cars with their multi million pound budgets, slightly embarrassing to be beaten by a home made special.

Also Andy has built the car to the letter of the rules, that's not cheating.
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

yeah he was quick i was told he was just behind mikko hirvonen he had a very bad year but is a very good driver so extremely respectable

i'm not implying he's cheated in anyway, i've no doubt he's read the rule book numerous times, what i mean is he's obviously spent alot of time setting the car up and 'getting to know the car' and really it's the other competitors responsibility to put in the same effort

:clap: superb acheivement and proof you can compete with the big boys without a huge budget

:thumleft: nice to see more and more competative diy build's appearing these days in higher specification events but i suppose that's the nature of the beast as technology advances and becomes cheaper and more available

going back to remembering sordo stall it was also memorable as jari-matti was leading the weekend :lol:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

I'm looking forward to rally GB, it's not just based in south Wales this year. I've booked work off already :thumleft:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... 3lB-fcMYn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lB-fcM ... re=related

An interview with Mr Burton. He seems like a clever chap, I'm sure he'll sort something out for next season.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

That's a bloody awesome car. I'm not a huge rally fan but I'd love to go and watch that, The noise is out of this world.
The MSA don't really use there heads do they. Surely they should say anything that is all ready Log booked can carry on rallying as they are but no new cars can be log booked at that spec.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:
The MSA don't really use there heads do they. Surely they should say anything that is all ready Log booked can carry on rallying as they are but no new cars can be log booked at that spec.

That would be too sensible!

On the other hand though it does look like the government will be giving the goahead for closed road rallying (like the rest of the world). But then again think how much better it would be with closed roads and the Peugeot cosworth.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Totally agree with you there. Closed road rallying will be spectacular I rekon.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”