[Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE Toughened Crank ?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JJ

[Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE Toughened Crank ?!

Post by JJ »

Any ideas for something strong in there ??!

These engines are getting on now and I think a lot of performance products are starting to drop off.. primarily the crank.

TTE / Toughened Forged / 5SFE ??! Options please.

|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
tarmac terrorist

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 3SGTE Toughened Crank ?!

Post by tarmac terrorist »

What about having that cryojenic freezing of the crank JJ :-k May be wrong with what it's called but I know you can have the blocks done I will try & do a search for you :thumleft:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

What did the group A and WRC boys use? I've spotted a few top spec 3S-GTE parts come up for sale on the Irish motorsport sites. Lots of folk over there offloading due to the economic crisis. There were two ex works GT4s for sale a few weeks back on pistonheads.
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

...what about Nitriding?.....would that help???....

dont HKS do a forged stroker crank....mucho £....thats about all else I can think of.....
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Billet? :twisted:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
JJ

Post by JJ »

Century Motorsport wrote:Billet? :twisted:

And where can I find one of these ?!

Cheers for all the other comments :)
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

There's a guy I race with in the TSS who works for TTE, I could fire him a PM and see if he can get his hands on a TTE crank for you if your interested?
Marf

Post by Marf »

JJ wrote:

Jun Stroker Kit

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/custo ... up.en.html
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You havent killed another one have you?

I dont hear of many damaged cranks, maybe they just dont like you? lol

Graeme
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

yeah ive not heard of many 3S cranks going belly up either even with 600+bhp
AFAIK TTE have stopped production of the forged crank, there may be some laying about somewhere though
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dawesy wrote:yeah ive not heard of many 3S cranks going belly up either even with 600+bhp
AFAIK TTE have stopped production of the forged crank, there may be some laying about somewhere though

I didn't think TTE existed any more, they were rolled into Toyota Motorsport GMBH after they pulled out of F1?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Marf wrote:
JJ wrote:

Jun Stroker Kit

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/custo ... up.en.html

£2277 for the basic crank and pistons.
£6751 for the best kit \:D/
Marf

Post by Marf »

Its only money, right?? :lol:
JJ

Post by JJ »

Cheers Marf :thumleft: I have a budget though since the MR2 is just a toy to me ! :mrgreen:

If the cranks are those prices, I'd just buy another MR2 turbo and track it !

Anyone done a 5SFE Block / 3SGTE Conversion on here ?? I was going to do it years ago, but I'd already bought the pistons / rods for the GTE....

I'm tempted to get a late 5SFE engine and pull it apart, but my concern is the clutch since I spent soo much on a OS Giken twin plate setup too, I'm pretty certain the bolting up pattern is slightly different to the GTE....I'd hate to have to buy an engine, pistons / rods and clutch / fly just to go 2.2.. albeit an ultimate bottom end.... :-k
greeny

Post by greeny »

JJ wrote:Cheers Marf :thumleft: I have a budget though since the MR2 is just a toy to me ! :mrgreen:

If the cranks are those prices, I'd just buy another MR2 turbo and track it !

Anyone done a 5SFE Block / 3SGTE Conversion on here ?? I was going to do it years ago, but I'd already bought the pistons / rods for the GTE....

I'm tempted to get a late 5SFE engine and pull it apart, but my concern is the clutch since I spent soo much on a OS Giken twin plate setup too, I'm pretty certain the bolting up pattern is slightly different to the GTE....I'd hate to have to buy an engine, pistons / rods and clutch / fly just to go 2.2.. albeit an ultimate bottom end.... :-k

IIRC the Flywheel and crank pattern are spaced out further from the centre of the crank. Wouldn't take much to modify the flywheel for it to fit though.

Is this the first crank you've killed?

I think you've just been unlucky :mrgreen:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

We are about to start building 3 5SFE / 3SGTE engines. Going to use the 5 block and crank 3 head and after market 5 rods and pistons.

On the 3 flywheel the holes just have to be enlarged to make a slot and it will fit the 5 crank
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
JJ

Post by JJ »

bobhatton wrote:We are about to start building 3 5SFE / 3SGTE engines. Going to use the 5 block and crank 3 head and after market 5 rods and pistons.

On the 3 flywheel the holes just have to be enlarged to make a slot and it will fit the 5 crank

Good info Bob :thumleft: Encouraging me to go down this route !

Is this the first crank you've killed?

Greeny > Sadly no.. The car I've always nick named crank killer .. originally the ceramic turbo took out the engine years back, but took the crank out too ! Put the whole lot in the bin !! I have taken a crank out in Feb this year ( previous post ) which I wrote off to be the harmonic damper not being present, but I've just done it again last week... #-o Not sure if its related to the quick spooling turbo I've stuck on this year hitting a little hard hitting with its load causing the problems now ?!?! Wasn't an issue with the slower spooling turbos.....

Both have let go at 1.8 bar .. but roasting it.. not the occasional 2nd/3rd pull.. hard 4/5th it doesn't like... no knock / fueling issues present... I havent stripped it yet to confirm ( got garderning !! ) .. Never had a problem with cranks, always the block would give first !

On a positive note.. its was bl00dy fast !! Was going to take it down York Dragway last weekend to see if would do a mid to low 11 !! :mrgreen:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

What damage is it doing to the cranks?
How good was the balancing to the pistons, rods, crank etc?

What C/R are you using with 1.8 bar boost and on what fuel?
JJ

Post by JJ »

bobhatton wrote:What damage is it doing to the cranks?
How good was the balancing to the pistons, rods, crank etc?

What C/R are you using with 1.8 bar boost and on what fuel?

I have another thread showing the previous crank cracking evolving from the oil hole on no.3 rod journal ... clean crack.. in fact, once removed, I dropped it from a 3ft height and was in 2 halves.... Pistons all from the same kit and rods, all balanced within a couple of grams.. certifications etc..... I did chuck another stock crank in... Rotation was fine, no areas of concern.... Compression was good too, not even 2 psi difference between cylinders, no smoke, no oil burning, no misfiring... This block and heads done 15K miles of good solid spirited driving ( no trackdays yet )

What I've questioned is I have a sleeved block, possibilities of being a marginal misalignment ?! ...during the preciprication of the rod / piston, stressing the crank... then again, this would have just flatened the rod bearing marginally... :-k

CR > 8.5 :1 ... I know how you feel strongly of low compression units Bob.. but I'm not a fan of the off boost responce you get for anything in the 7's... although hindered reliability can be a direct result...

Map shows I can still pull some 8> 10 degrees out of it too at the top end...

Part of me says stop twisting and get the 5SFE Block / 3SGTE head setup that I promised myself years back.. another part of me says stick another crank in and keep the boost down ! :-k

Part of me wants to believe there is a balancing issue, but another part of me says its the weakest link in the engine now...

Return to “Modifications”