[Mk2] [Turbo] coolent leaking

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

and1ne13

[Mk2] [Turbo] coolent leaking

Post by and1ne13 »

The last few days I have had a shot at flushing the coolent with the diagram provided..

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2/ ... ement.html

I got it done and then noticed there is a leak somewhere around the thermostat area, its gotta be under the thermostat or around there as I cant see exactly where the leak is coming from when I look in the engine bay or below the car when its jacked up, any ideas what pipe or where i should be looking for a leak around that area?

The next thing I got to was the thermostat which I made a start on before it rained, i got to take of the two pipes covering the thermostat housing but I couldnt figure how to get to the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing so i could get into it?, do I need to take anything from under the car off to get to that bolt or can it all be done from the engine bay?

The reason im changing all this is because after 10 miles or so driving the car, the car overheats really badly, I need to get this sorted.

Any advice or what to do next as im lost or dunno what to look for or at, Im based in Edinburgh so if anyone knows any good garages or wants to give a hand, give me a shout.

Thanks for reading and hope to get replys.
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] coolent leaking

Post by raptor95GTS »

the bottom bolt is a pita, a good six sided 10mm socket will take it off, you just have to feel for it with your fingers. I rounded mine off using a cheap 12 hex socket so go careful with it.
and1ne13

Post by and1ne13 »

thanks alan, could you get to it directly from the engine bay?, im still having problems finding the leak, did you change your stat too?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah in from the top down by the dipstick. Tis a pig to get to but then what isn't on our cars lol?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I found the bottom bolt pretty easy to get to... does the intercooler get in the way normally? I didn't take the hose off either, just 2 nuts off then pushed it out the way.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
bolton

Post by bolton »

yeah easy! good 6 sided socket 1/4 drive ratchet and an extension! 5mins tops!
and1ne13

Post by and1ne13 »

ok guys got to this and noticed a bit problem, the leek that i though was coming from else where is actually the bottom bolt snapped of the housing, the top bolt came off fine, it seems like the water is leaking through because the bottom bolt is not attached and the water is just leaking through the hole..

i tested the thermostat in the car and it works fine, imma put the new one in anyway.

I dunno what to do because the bottom bolt on the goes into the housing is snapped inside, so i cant put another bolt in, so it wont seal properly and I will always have the leek of coolent, causing the car to overheat...

any ideas?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

How you move on from here all depends on how much of the old bolt is still sticking out of the thermostat housing. That will dictate whether you can use stud extractors etc.

What revision car and engine is it?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
and1ne13

Post by and1ne13 »

Its a rev2 turbo, the bolt is snaped inside the block, it should be sticking out, do you get what i mean? ill try get pictures, im sure the leak is coming through where the bottom bolt is ment to be...
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

AFAIK the bit the thermostat sits in comes off, you'd need to remove the cambelt, water pump, etc to get it out though. Then you could either replace it or drill the stud out and tap a new thread in there. If there's a bit sticking out you could get a stud extractor on it or something.
and1ne13

Post by and1ne13 »

not a easy job then :( , I dunno where is best place to take the car as i dont have tools or experiance to do this ... what a nightmare ;( , any other advice you could give me?, such a weird problem i know, but it needs fixed...
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Well I do happen to know a guy at Edinburgh Toyota if that helps...
and1ne13

Post by and1ne13 »

kinda, is he good and will be able to get it sorted for a decent price?, is it the one by cameron toll or sighthill?

Return to “Mechanical”