AW11 AE101 GZE starter problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Clarky_X

AW11 AE101 GZE starter problem

Post by Clarky_X »

I have an 86 AW11 Mk1 B with AE101 SC engine. A few weeks ago it didn't start initially, but then did when I re-tried. Then it was fine for weeks. Then about 2 weeks ago it wouldn't start at all one chilly damp morning, not even after re-trying. Just clicked.

Starter solenoid?

So I started looking around for starter solenoids, but didn't know what I was looking for. However, its started fine for the last couple of weeks now.

I know when selecting a gearbox for the GZE conversion then there is a cut out for the starter so only certain gearboxes fit, but are all GE and GZE starters the same?

Is my problem defo the starter or starter solenoid. I found it up under the car, but haven't gone through the test sequence in the Haynes manual. It looks like a right nightmare to get to.

So I was wondering, should I just get a second hand one off ebay or someone off the forum?

Battery seems fine.
kaiowas

Re: AW11 AE101 GZE starter problem

Post by kaiowas »

What gearbox have you used? This will determine which starter you need.
Clarky_X

Re: AW11 AE101 GZE starter problem

Post by Clarky_X »

I don't know off top of my head. I put the taller 5th gear in out of a carina e 1.8.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”