Window Probs

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tom_snelling

Window Probs

Post by tom_snelling »

I have a problem in my 1a mr2, in that neither side electric windows work. No motors moving, nothing.

The other switches in the door dont work either.

Any ideas?
HT

Re: Window Probs

Post by HT »

tom_snelling wrote:I have a problem in my 1a mr2, in that neither side electric windows work. No motors moving, nothing.

The other switches in the door dont work either.

Any ideas?

Check the fuse in the drivers side footwell (above the kick panel). 30 amp I believe. With that checked I'd try the window control relay next (passenger side I thikn - but do not quote me :wink: ) - if you need one pm me I have mmore than one spare yours gratis. HTH
tom_snelling

Post by tom_snelling »

I think I checked the fuse last time I looked, but Ill look again.

The lock buttons and other buttons on the drivers door dont work either - any connections?
HT

Post by HT »

tom_snelling wrote:I think I checked the fuse last time I looked, but Ill look again.

The lock buttons and other buttons on the drivers door dont work either - any connections?

Worth checking the fuse again - could save wasted effort to remove the door panel to locate the relay :wink:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

have you had the door off ? you could check the connector whilst you are in the foot well. it sounds more like you have no connection to the switches. so its fuses then connectors then switch connections.
did they just stop ?
tom_snelling

Post by tom_snelling »

No idea, they havent worked since I have had it, Ill have to do some investigating.

I wouldnt have thought both doors have been off, someone mentioned something to do with cleaning the switches?
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Does the passenger side window work using the switch on the pass door?

Sounds like someone has forgotten to plug the 2 connectors back into the switch assemblies after removing the door cards, to me..! :wink:
tom_snelling

Post by tom_snelling »

No I dont think so.

Ill need to double check but Im sure none of them work.

Ill whip the door cards off though and check.
HT

Post by HT »

tom_snelling wrote:No I dont think so.

Ill need to double check but Im sure none of them work.

Ill whip the door cards off though and check.

Tom have they ever worked in your ownership?

If not fuse - then window control relay - I say this as if both windows are not working its the most likely suspect as both windows share the one relay. HTH
jimi

Post by jimi »

The relay only does the drivers window, passengers is controlled directly by the 2 switches ( power goes through the switch on the drivers side then through passengers side switch to the motor ) If neither window works and the door lock buttons don't work either then check the connector in the drivers footwell ( you'll need to take the black trim panel at the fuse box off to get to it ) for the cables going into the door and then check the plug going onto the door switch panel, if you have a voltmeter check at the plug for the switches, with the ignition on you should get 12v between pin 3 (light blue wire) and earth, ( the chassis ) and / or pin 4 [white/black wire] on the same plug, this the power for the window circuits.
It's a bit more complicated to check the power for the door locks as it goes to the door lock relay in the passengers door first
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Can you tell me where in the drivers footwell near the fuse box the window connectors are? I now have this problem, neither window works since changing my steering column which needed the air vent tube taking out. My mirrors and clock stopped working first time I was messing around down there and found that to be a fuse that was loose. But now, all the fuses are OK and in firm and square. I have no Aircon and with the warm weather, both windows closed, it's a bit of a bummer going to work and I look a sweaty mess when I get there.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Hi there. Anyone tell me where the electric window switch in the drivers foot well is that I may have knocked out? Still no leccy windows working.
:oops:
:(
coanda

Post by coanda »

I think you may be a bit confused. You can check whether the switch assembly is plugged into the door loom by prising the switch assembly up from its rear end. It is located by a push clip at the rear and a tab at the front. If it is plugged into the wiring and fuse is ok, then the switch assembly is probably knacked.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Nothing wrong with the door switch as not touched them. None of the windows were working from either door switch, but I found the problem. The fuse for the windows was missing. Don't know how that happened as they were working before I took the column out and I didn't sweep up any spare fuses off the floor when I finished. With a fuse in, they work fine. Thankfully I found another thread with the fuse board diagram out of the owners manual which also had a sticky for the owners manual on Jimi's site.

Bizzare.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”