[Mk2] [Turbo] Retro fitting ABS to a GTS?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] Retro fitting ABS to a GTS?

Post by dellams »

1. Just bought a GTS so doesnt seem to have ABS. I really wanted to have ABS since safety comes first. And thats before I start going for more power, aiming for around the 400 mark. I also heard that when you start upgrading the brakes that the ABS doesnt work very well anyway on the MR2 so no point having it?

Im just worried that if I need to emergency brake it would lock up and lose control? I had to do a lot of hard breaking on the way back due to people pulling out on me all of the time!

What else other than the electric folding mirrors is the GTS missing?

2. How much roughly would it cost to retro fit ABS later?

3. How much roughly would it cost to retro fit electric folding mirrows?

4. Was there anything else the GTS model is missing that the GT model had?

5. Does it have a smaller cabin or less leg room? The chair is all the way back and I swear it went back further on my GT models?

6. I think the sound system isnt as good either, keeps distorting but I plan to upgrade that later anyway so thats not a problem...

Cheers.
Rev3 TURBO TBAR running aprox 280bhp @ 1bar (320bhp after re-map soon...)
JJ

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Retro fitting ABS to a GTS?

Post by JJ »

No ABS ?!! :mrgreen: Back to basics .. !! I dont have it on mine and it doesn't bother me.. if anything...when pulling up hard upto corners and roundabouts, my foots not being pushed up due to oversensitivity...

Never locked up in the MR2 either.. its all a matter of control ! :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

http://www.nollonline.com/mr2/Wrenching/abs.htm
have a read there

i doing mine not i need the abs
i just want to use it for racelogic TC
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok thanks guys.

yeah im hearing that sometimes its better NOT to have ABS and stopping distances can actually be less.

Just worried about emergency breaking if someone pulls out on you, etc... especially in the wet!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

cadence breaking matey...lol...prob spelled wrong...I very rarely feel my abs kick in, years of driving without it...and not wanting to wrap it up again just give you a more sensative foot...I have got an abs and t/c system from a rev 3 turbo if you are on the look out mate :thumleft:
dellams

Post by dellams »

YEah, thats when you have to come and off, but I wouldnt be able to do it as fast as ABS does so I would either lock up (most likely since I would just panic and slam my foot down) or the gaps between on and off would be too big that I would never stop in time...

How much were you looking for, for the ABS and TC system? Which TC is it? Racelogic? I use to have that on my old rev3.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

T/C is oem Toyota and is actually hard piped into the ABS unit so having both woud be prob easier than splitting them up...this is for a rev3+ though, it uses a second TPS located on the T/C specific throttle body flange...this sends a signal to the T/C / ABS ecu which then sends a signal to the ecu to cut power (not teaching you to suck eggs, just saying it as I see it :thumleft: ). I have never done this conversion but I have the loom to pick apart and if it's feasable to install, we could be on to something...there is little to no info around on T/C conversions so it may well be impossible, but if it we can make it work we would be ledgend...where abouts are you based dellams? I'm in Maldon, Essex.

Dave.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

1&2 = Sell your car and buy one with ABS will be cheaper.

3 = Around £90-£100 (mirrors, door looms, switch and relay)

4 = Half Leather seats, premium sound system?

5 = All MR2's had same leg room n/a or turbo

6 = See 4

Another thing i did to mine was to rip out the gray headlining and changed it for the black one off a rev1. Looks a lot better inside.
dellams

Post by dellams »

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. Problem is other than that its a really good clean car. Really shifts and handles well, its been well looked after and unmolested, def the fastest 2 I have driven, its so responsive. Worried if I sold her and got a GT it wouldnt be quite as good, not to mention the hassle of trying to sale this one again. And cant really afford to have 3 cars at once.

If you had to put a price on doing the conversion (including labor since I havent got time and dont want to mess it up), what roughly do you reckon? Probably about 1k ish?

So even though that seems a lot, if you bare in mind I paid 2.7k for her with 47k miles in good condition, if I got a GT would probably be more than that for more miles and there could be more sevre hidden problems costing a lot more in the long run...

Its where a crystal ball would be handy! :)
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

£1k would not even touch it.

You would need all the hubs, rear drive shaft, sensors, abs ECU, hydraulics and lines, wiring looms, dash clocks etc etc . Jesus, you would need to virtually need to strip your car to fit it.

I would imaging the labour alone would come to over £1k.

I came from ABS to Non ABS and not really had any problems with it, in fact i prefer non ABS now.

Just drive like a granny in the wet if your concerned about people pulling out on you but then even with ABS you may not have enough stopping distance to stop you ploughing in the side of someone.
bolton

Post by bolton »

rev1&2 abs is rubbish im getting rid of mine! Lol!
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

not sure

on my gt wiring loom all abs connector is already there

all line is same only the front is different

i got my all for the item for about 400 from people breaking the car

rev 1 to 4 is same abs system
only rev 5 have 4 channel abs
dellams

Post by dellams »

I think the rev3 abs is better than rev1 and 2, certainly rev1.

My 1st rev1 tubby had ABS and it was horrid, made odd sounds like springs going boing, sounded like it was broken but heard thats how its meant to be. It was like one of the 1st ABS system designed! And it felt and sounded like it too!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There were a multitude of ABS changes over the years but I'm pretty sure it's either rev4+ or rev5 that has the seriously revised system that actually works well. Whatever 96+ is, that'll be rev4+ I guess. Just don't bother even thinking about retrofitting.

It's not worth it :) Mine has no ABS and I managed a perfectly good emergency stop to avoid killing some 1900 era classic car yesterday.

Also remember that ABS lengthens your stopping distance, but you retain steering control.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dellams

Post by dellams »

What about in the wet then? Would you still stop quicker without ABS?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

toxo wrote:Also remember that ABS lengthens your stopping distance, but you retain steering control.

bit of a generalisation there that is generally incorrect
dellams

Post by dellams »

How is it incorrect?

Return to “Modifications”