[Mk2] [Turbo] new gearing

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

swaggansway

[Mk2] [Turbo] new gearing

Post by swaggansway »

I have built myself a stupidly quick mr2. it is a rev1 with a rev3 converted forged engine. it is running 1.5 bar boost and totally destroys anything that tries including most bikes lol

my problem is the gears. it zippes through them so quickly and by the time I am doing a ton the revs are way to hi in 5 gear! I feel I need a couple more gears, does anyone else find this?

the question is what to do? obviously not being a landrover I can't just bolt anougher gear on!

help, petrol keeps going up and my fuel keeps going down lol

suggestions like 'drive slower' will not be tolerated! :lol:
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] new gearing

Post by djpkins »

slow down...hahahaha..good that it's running...stop showing off...5 gears is enough for anyone, it's the law...and please don't say your running 1.5bar with standard fuelling matey...1.2 is abit safer...you won't find any joy hunting for a gearbox conversion...unless you got a hooj pot o cash...and in which case...sequential :thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Your revs per speed in 5th are still no different to when you had stock power :oldtongue:

What fueling & turbo you running 1.5bar with?
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Harold

Post by Harold »

I know there is a company on here that offer an extended drive 5th gear, could be century motorsport or pacific works.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

its a ct20b, haven't changed fueling. a/f meter reads 20.0 when no throttle and about 8.0 under full throttle. should I turn the boost down to 1.2 bar.

extended 5th sound good :thumleft:
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i think they mean changing the final drive ratio,

but i think you can no longer get that from toyota new thought

personally i will not worry run out of gear, you should worry run out of road :mrgreen:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Woodsport do a longer 5th gear,although it only talks about the na gearbox.

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.p ... arbox.html

As for destroying most bikes,don't pick on anything above a 600 or anything with gsxr/r6/ninja etc on the back......unless its a harley,all that chrome is heavy lol.

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

I sold a kit a while back. It extends the mph in each gear. All the info and part numbers from Toyota are here.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

swaggansway wrote:its a ct20b, haven't changed fueling. a/f meter reads 20.0 when no throttle and about 8.0 under full throttle. should I turn the boost down to 1.2 bar.

this a crappy AFR gauge or an ACTUAL wideband gauge with a probe welded into the exhaust/downpipe?

i find it hard to believe anyone with a ct20b will be beating motorbikes and need more gears and "need" to be driving faster than 160mph!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

[email protected] bar?

Only slightly out of its efficiency range then.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

jimGTS wrote:
swaggansway wrote:its a ct20b, haven't changed fueling. a/f meter reads 20.0 when no throttle and about 8.0 under full throttle. should I turn the boost down to 1.2 bar.

this a crappy AFR gauge or an ACTUAL wideband gauge with a probe welded into the exhaust/downpipe?

i find it hard to believe anyone with a ct20b will be beating motorbikes and need more gears and "need" to be driving faster than 160mph!

it is an apexi af, it works of the o2 output from the ecu. is this no good? I don't yet understand the readings, are they bad?

it destroys bikes lol my na can justabout keep up with some too! my m8 has a ninja and yes in a straight line he wins but we have corners which slows him up a lot!

I don't think I can get anywhere near 160, more like 140 but she is revving her boobs off

:(
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

Phill P wrote:Woodsport do a longer 5th gear,although it only talks about the na gearbox.

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.p ... arbox.html

As for destroying most bikes,don't pick on anything above a 600 or anything with gsxr/r6/ninja etc on the back......unless its a harley,all that chrome is heavy lol.

Paul :thumleft:

I will stop picking on the bikes, chears for the heads up :thumleft:

thanx for the link :thumleft:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

mr2toby wrote:I sold a kit a while back. It extends the mph in each gear. All the info and part numbers from Toyota are here.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

just what I was looking for, nice one :thumleft:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

if you can get hold of one get a Carlos sainz or RC celica box (st185 but must be the cs or rc version) they have looong gearing and 8500rpm in top with about 600 bhp is 200mph!! i had one when the 3S was in the rolla i had to lift at 175 mph (gps calibrated but there was loads to go to the red line.
you will need to put the gear set in your box along with your diff or swap the ring gear onto your diff and swap the selector over but the boxes are the same bar diff and transfer
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

140? mine does near that in fourth, (8700rpm) it cant be a lsd box then if thats all your getting in 5th should be way more or it doesnt have enough power to pull you to the 5th gear limiter?
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

no the box I fitted is a rev1t non lsd! is that why?
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

that bound to be the prob then a lsd box should pass 160 no probs, well on a private road :whistle:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

I think I wood soil my seat if I did a ton sixty in my 2. she tries to takeoff at one twenty lol

looks like I need a LSD jobbie with an extended 5th possibly

could u do me a favour n let me know what ya rpm is at 70mph in 5th :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

6000 in 5th is a 140 I think.

Windy wipers would defo come off at 200,100 is bad enough......I would think

:D
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

pmsl, my stock ones lifted at 6O! I got spoilers on mine na 8)

but at 2ton up I reckon they wood deffo shoot off :lol:

2ton in a 2 ay, ay....... now that is some scary crazy shizzle. I parped my self at 180 in a tvr turbo :whistle:

Return to “Mechanical”