(UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Unsure

Re: (UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Post by Unsure »

Sorry but I have been following this and you have now altered your story, did he not offer to replace you engine and turbo at the cost of a new turbo? And you stated earlier you were still using the car.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Just to add a bit more depth, this was removed from the trader feedback section last night (nothing wrong with the content of the posts, just that the replys were in the wrong section). it gives some good insight into what people who are replying are dealing with here
Chris wrote:
That manifold is not flat even with your ruler. You can clearly see the gaps.

Sorry please delete. Did not realise was in trader feedback

ryan wrote:
But even a warped manifold wouldnt cause excessive oil use shirley?
A knackered turbo wouldnt cause engine failure unless the ceramic blades were sucked in, and this was a steel shaft hybrid wasnt it, so not possible?
If the oil seals had gone then it wouldve had to have been used a hell of a lot to run the engine low on oil?
Hope it all gets sorted

Chris wrote:

Ryan. It has nothing to do with ceramic blades. You need to understand how they work really.

Dale_V wrote:

n9thx wrote:
The engine was bad from day one. The turbo was rebuilt 14months ago as a hybrid and was perfect before engine swap.
I've yet to find a mechanic who would say a turbo would cause engine failure without a low oil warning or even complete failure, wouldn't the debris go down the exhaust or get trapped in the intercooler.

Bear in mind the turbo is still sweet, turns smooth, no excessive play.
GTSCHRIS said mine was destroyed beyond repair until i asked to see it, then it was, the oil seals are shot. Amazing, it's repaired itself.

there is no oil level on turbo's, just oil pressure and if this is lit up, then its game over anyway

the debris in the turbo will be in the oilways if your old engine lunched its cam journals, the debris wouldnt be in the airways/intercooler

the turbo can still be smooth and have no bearing play, it doesnt mean the actual oil seals havent gone though

Chris wrote:
Just to add to Dales explaination. The oil light is an idiot light. 3 psi of pressure will
turn it off. So your mechanics are wrong.

The car I am currently inspecting is 12 months old. But has a rod out of the block. The turbo may well of been rebuilt 12 months ago. Does not mean its not shafted. Both turbos will be replaced to ensure no cross contamination.

The cause of the engine failure was turbo seal failure causing the car to run on its own oil. The overrev situation caused the rod failure and full loss of oil killing the whole engine.

The turbos look just fine! But no chance are they going on the next engine!

n9thx wrote:

Dale, i said this engine was bad from the off.

I'd not even touched it.

Had i caused it to sound rough?

This is my 5th MR2, think i know a nail.

Why would it use oil only when GTSCHRIS is not driving it??

Because the oil has been used all the time.

GTSCHRIS is a liar, sue me if i'm wrong, i've evidence to back it all up.

Dale_V wrote:

n9thx wrote: Dale, i said this engine was bad from the off.

I'd not even touched it.

Had i caused it to sound rough?

This is my 5th MR2, think i know a nail.

Why would it use oil only when GTSCHRIS is not driving it??

Because the oil has been used all the time.

GTSCHRIS is a liar, sue me if i'm wrong, i've evidence to back it all up.

People are certainly not calling you a liar (im not), neither am i calling gtschris it, we are just trying to help with the explanation of whats happened and how, and also why they have happened..

from the initial start up (that lewis jay did, you not being there) to you first seeing the car, ALOT could have happened and for various reasons...

n9thx wrote:

Dale_V where did you hear my last engine had suffered a head failure from oil starvation? Strange thing to say.

Dale_V wrote:

n9thx wrote:
Dale_V where did you hear my last engine had suffered a head failure from oil starvation? Strange thing to say.

You posted it yourself mate, in one of your posts about top end rattle, or am I wrong?

n9thx wrote:

Please copy and paste where i said my head had suffered from oil stavation.
Tell Chris hi from me.

Dale_V wrote:

n9thx wrote:
Yes that was my (unqualified) diagnosis.
Tell Chris hi from me.

Listen here, dont even start playing that game. I have NEVER bought anything from GTSChris, neither have I ever met him, never spoke with him on the phone and never PM'd him.

I was actually tempted earlier to PM you with a proposition to help an IMOC member and get you back on the road, but i'll tell you what , the way you've acted you're on a straight road to turning every member against you, you can now royally xxxx it!

n9thx wrote:

Like i said where did you get your info about my head? Please enlighten me or as you say xxxx it!

ryan wrote:

Chris wrote:Ryan. It has nothing to do with ceramic blades. You need to understand how they work really.

I do to a certain degree, and I understand that knackered seals on a turbo would have to be PROPERLY knackered to cause this and driven a fair few miles to result in engine failure.
ive had cars with knackered turbos and driven them lots without causing engine failure. Enlighten me further.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Unsure wrote:To me this all sounds like you went in guns a blasing and have got everyone you dealt with back up.

I have recently had an engine supplied by GTSChris, if it had turned out to be a prob and he had offered to replace it, I would have taken it as the way I see it, the fitting costs are down to you and is part of the risk in fitting a used engine.

It sounds like he even diagnosed the fault to be the turbo, then offered to replace the engine and turbo and fit it at the relative small cost of a different turbo (prob less than 300 quid) Again, I would have jumped at this as it sounds very reasonable and would have avoided fitting costs again and also rule out the possible faulty turbo, if you still believed your turbo was not the cause you could have just put it back on after and sold the spare turbo (and get most the money back). You cant expect him to want to leave your turbo on there if he believes this to be causing the issue and risk destroying another engine.

You dont even seem to be trying to understand what others here are trying to explain to you and are confusing 2 or 3 different faults. You are even still using the car!!

Even seems the fitter does not agree with you and taken a step back from helping you too.

I would say you will be lucky to come out of court with less costs than a replacement turbo you were offered.

As for GTSChris ignoring you after you threatened court action, he had already offered you everything you could reasonably expect from the supplier and more! You seem hell bent on trying to destroy his rep, but really you are coming across as unreasonable, destroying your own rep and I know if I was a trader, I would be very reluctant to do business with you.

You have burnt your bridges and given GTSchris very little option other than for this to be settled in court which isnt going to work out well for you as you have continued to use the car (this is plain foolish and is a big face palm moment)

Nail and head. I feel you have summed up what most of us are thinking.

EDIT - and just to make it clear, any post I have made in this thread is totally of my own opinion.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Quote from Dale V >

I was actually tempted earlier to PM you with a proposition to help an IMOC member and get you back on the road,

+1 - In fact, I've even PM'd a few people to see if they've got some spares kicking about to help you rectify your current issue.... Theres many genuine people still around that will go out of their way to help you !

If I lived closer, I could have had the engine out and replaced in the timeline of this thread ! :thumleft: Your focus would have been keeping the damn thing straight !!

I just hate to see people in the forum getting worked up, comments are getting scrutinised and debated over and over .. contributing members are becoming frustrated at your same reoccuring answers ( we're not stupid btw ).... this forum is for solutions, the traders are there to help where they can, advice from everyone has soo much value as theres a wealth of experience out there. So please n9thx, take on some of the advice given as getting the car ship shape is the priority not trying to prove a point... the latter will be more costly on yourself.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Thanks for all advice given, i do appreciate it but it's easy to say what i should have done. Imagine below was you and your motor.

On the day it all kicked off, i'd driven 200miles to collect the car and arrived after 6pm in his breakers yard.
If he'd sorted the issues i was expecting to pay even though i'd specifically told him not to touch my turbo, i just wanted my car right again.
As soon as he started it up and said it was fine and not smoking i was so angry. It was right in front of us all but he was in complete denial. He was treating me like a mug. So i was 200 miles from home with my wife in a dark breakers yard with a car that was the same as when he had it back.

Put yourself in my shoes, would you have been calm? Would you trust the guy anymore? Was getting on for 7.30 by now.

I had to tow the car most of the way back because as soon as i left his yard the intercooler pipe popped off and we had no tools.

He told me he'd taken it for a long test drive and it had lost no oil. But when i drove the rest of the way home it definately used oil again so lucky i kept a check on it or it wouldn't even be running at all.

After i'd calmed down at home i emailed him the offer of the other block would prevent any claim going in.
He then issued the email stating he wasn't liable for my failed engine. (tried to convince me it was fine, no noises or oil use the day before)
Sorry but i'm even getting angry typing this, i can't see what else i could have done and wouldn't you want to shout from the rooftops how you'd been treated?
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

I hate cars.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

I still love mine to bits, looks nice parked in the driveway but i'd like to be able to drive it too. I was really looking forward to summer until this farce.
:( :( :(
kinger032007

Post by kinger032007 »

i have had experince with gts chris and he was more than helpfull parts he has sold me have been perfect!!! you sound like a fool who has altered his story about 4 or 5 times through this whole thread just cut you losses and stop wasting our time reading this rubbish and you whining!!!

Another thing that has got me annoyed post posting! you started the thread saying you need help with a noise when really all you have wanted to do is slate gts chris!! this is an enthusiast forum not having drinks with you girl friends so shut up and go away!
ashley

Post by ashley »

kinger032007 wrote:i have had experince with gts chris and he was more than helpfull parts he has sold me have been perfect!!! you sound like a fool who has altered his story about 4 or 5 times through this whole thread just cut you losses and stop wasting our time reading this rubbish and you whining!!!

Another thing that has got me annoyed post posting! you started the thread saying you need help with a noise when really all you have wanted to do is slate gts chris!! this is an enthusiast forum not having drinks with you girl friends so shut up and go away!

Dude! This thread was long dead, why bring it back just to say shut up? Let it die...for the love of gawd..,let it die...please :pray:
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

That's funny timing.
I also have had a warning from GTSChris that if I continue the court claim he's counterclaiming for a £729 diagnostics bill he now says I owe him!

Hope everyone remembers he said here on the forum any money from the court case would go to charity.

£729 for diagnostics on a £750 engine :-k

Also, poster with 6 posts, where are my 4 to 5 story changes?
Think you know it's GTSChris who has Massively changed his.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

Gawd, not again ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Unsure

Post by Unsure »

Sounds about right since he will be claiming for the turbo and manifold you have of his (which are now probably wrecked) plus the 200 mile tow and his diag aswell.

He always said he would counter claim and give it to charity, all hes done now is told you how much you stand to lose and the charity get.

All this for what appears to be a contaminated turbo which you refuse to accept. Have you sent it off for diag yet? or are you just going to put it on your new rebuilt engine and blame the builder for not replacing the the rings?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”