(UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

g.lewarne

Re: (UPDATED with new vid) Can anyone please help with this noise?

Post by g.lewarne »

you cannot expect anyone to stand up and say what you want to hear. it isnt going to happen. I have never had any dealings whatsoever with the accused, but certainly what im reading is all positive except for yourself.

If you ARE serious about taking this to court, which you are free to do, your crusade on this forum will not have any impact whatsoever on the legal proceedings. You will not be able to submit anything that anyone has posted as real evidence, and i doubt the court would even be interested.

The only things that matter in a court case are the defendant, the prosecution and a set of witnesses, chosen by the courts. In this case, said witnesses would likely be a 3rd party engineer with no ties to either side.

You cant return an opened pack of batteries claiming they are dead, even after only 5 minutes of purchase. The seller has no idea what has been done to them in that space of time and cannot be held liable. Im not saying a battery is the same as an engine, but i think its similar in principal. You did drive home a long distance. If it was that bad and you had returned within a short space of time I am sure this would never have gotten as bad as you feel it now is.
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

n9thx wrote:Posting on here is a result of him not sorting this out.

I've offered to sort this out but he wants more money for the other block, would you give someone who's lied to you more money? He tried to pass the engine off as fine in Newcastle but it was rough as a nail. Sorry but when you've driven 200 miles to pick up a car you've been told is fine and finding it as rough as when it was sent off, how would you feel?

You wouldn't be too keen to throw more money at him would you?

The next day i offered to have the other block fitted if he'd agree, to prevent court action.

This is when the story changed from the engine was fine to "i accept no liability for your failed engine"

Plus you accuse me of blackmail? He said if i posted on here then i owed him money for work he's done, work for what? I'd specifically told him not to touch my turbo yet he removed it anyway. Does that seem normal?

What part of this have i made up or seems fair to anyone?

The trouble is, we have you word only to go on now and it is your word against a 5 year + established trader and a trader who has sold countless engines without issue.

We haven't heard much/anything from the engine fitter, now I'm not saying for a moment they are in the wrong but what is their opinion on the matter?

Blackmail, yes absolutely, not sure how else to describe it?

If you just ignore the situation then I'll be forced to publish everything on IMOC, Youtube, MR2OC, etc. including the new recordings and mechanics report on the state of the engine.
All i want is what I've paid for. The engine you started up in the yard sounded fine in comparison to the one i have, i would be happy with that one if it is as good as you said.
Please do the decent thing and I'll be a good advertisement for you business and not the opposite.

^ personally speaking ^ THIS is what winds me up about how you've handled it. If was the engine seller I wouldn't be willing or wanting to help you any more.

Now Nathan, I think everyone understands your frustration etc but sometimes things do go wrong, sometimes you have to take things on the chin. Court is not always the best option and certainly isn't the only option.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

GTSCHRIS tried to convince me the engine was fine whilst pumping out smoke and knocking, i didn't take too well to that.

Now you say it's my word against a trader of 5 years plus.

Sorry but GTSCHRIS said the engine was fine and then said the engine was failed. Where does anyone find these conflicting statements from the same person about the same engine at the same time acceptable??

MAYBE THIS SHOULD BE THE LAST POST BEFORE COURT????
I WON'T POST IF NO ONE ELSE FEELS THE NEED.

I will say PM me if you feel the need.
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

These (now four) threads on the same issue is beginning to sound like a witch hunt.

Whilst your claim may be valid, the way it has been handled is not the way I would deal with this kind of issue.

I had a potentially large issue with a supplier that we all know on here. Long and painstaking conversations via email and keeping it out of the forums got me the resolution I required and now, although dubious about dealing with that supplier again I wouldn't give him negative feedback.
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
Chris

Post by Chris »

I agree with the above.

The engine fitter has clearly stated in the e mail from GTSChris to yourself the engine started fine and shown no obvious issues.?

The first video sounds like a totally fooked manifold, (I know as I used to run a Extreme boost stainless manifold that was skimmed monthly) and pics from yourself and GTSChris show your manifold is seriously warped.

The second video sounds totally different, more mechanical.

GTSchris states the suspect turbo is from a previously failed engine and suspect cross contamination of the oil causing an engine failure.

I think he is within his rights to state he will not be held responcible for the failed engine in your car.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Again. The engine was ropey from day one.

Either Lewis says "the engine started fine and shown no obvious issues.?"

Or as you just said," it had a totally "fooked manifold" ?? Which one are you going with?

GTSchris states the suspect turbo is from a previously failed engine and suspect cross contamination of the oil causing an engine failure.

Then GTSCHRIS changed this story to a low oil pressure situation caused by the oil seals failing in the turbo caused the engine failure. No longer contamination after he was told it had been flushed, funny that?

The engine had an engine oil flush before being started so that's dead in the water.

Like i've said before, no one treats me like a fool. I've tried to sort this out of court/ forums but basically GTSCHRIS has said he's not liable for anything.

Let's all just wait for the court date and then he can either post how much of an ar$e i was or it'll go quiet and you'll all know i've had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Either way we both agree it's not about the money it's about the reputation and i'm not being made to look like a fool.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The engine and manifold are 2 seperate parts.

If your engine fitter says the engine was fine on start up, how can it be bad first off?

The cross contamination could cause low oil pressure after all the crap has gone around the new engine damaging componants, crank shells, blocking gallaries etc. If the turbo was the route cause of the previous engine failure, due to seals causing low oil pressure, whats the difference?

A engine oil flush was carried out on the new engine? How was this carried out? Just poured in with the sump plug out to run out the other end? That's not a flush. Or I presume fired up to allow it to circulate. This will of been carried out with your contaminted engine parts fitted. Then causing within a short period of time another engine failure.

I'm not being funny with you, or sticking up for GTSChris. Just trying to explain how an independant engineer will look at it.
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

n9thx wrote:Again. The engine was ropey from day one.

Either Lewis says "the engine started fine and shown no obvious issues.?"

Or as you just said," it had a totally "fooked manifold" ?? Which one are you going with?

Then GTSCHRIS changed this story to a low oil pressure situation caused by the oil seals failing in the turbo caused the engine failure. No longer contamination after he was told it had been flushed, funny that?

The engine had an engine oil flush before being started so that's dead in the water.

Like i've said before, no one treats me like a fool. I've tried to sort this out of court/ forums but basically GTSCHRIS has said he's not liable for anything.

Let's all just wait for the court date and then he can either post how much of an ar$e i was or it'll go quiet and you'll all know i've had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Either way we both agree it's not about the money it's about the reputation and i'm not being made to look like a fool.

Going over the facts as you see them over and over isnt going to change peoples opinions.

You have issues with the way it is being handled. Perhaps GTSChris doesnt want to draw himself into anything without considered legal advice due to the pending court case. A view i would take if i was being taken to court.

I'm no mechanic but surely failed turbo oil seals can be caused by a contaminated oil system? So this isnt changing his story.. This to me sounds like diagnosis using the information provided. I think i've heard every mechanic i've ever worked with do something similar... Hears the original symptoms and come to a conclusion... then upon receipt of new symptoms a new diagnosis is considered...

Are oil flushes 100% effective? I always thought it is designed to loosen deposits... Perhaps one or two deposits were particularly stubborn?

To be honest there seems more attempt to point fingers than actually attempting to find the route cause of your failure? What caused the original block to fail?[/quote]
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Like i have said countless times.

GTSCHRIS story has changed from manifold causing noise to damage from turbo causing noise.

From turbo causing smoke to "damage from turbo causing smoke, to overfuelling causing smoke.

The engine used massive amounts of oil from day one (Chris says this was my turbo then fitted his own) and it still uses massive amounts of oil (now it's due to damage? caused by my turbo???

Sorry guys but what part of all this doesn't say engine bad from day one.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

We havent really heard what lewis jay thought of the engine, as he is the only one who heard the engine on first start up. surely he noticed straight from the off?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I can understand you are upset about this bud. However. Read the email. He advised you not to drive it. You ignored. He diagnosed the issue. You don't want to accept it.

I have gave you my input on how I would look at this (which is part of my job) and personally think you have nowhere to go with this. You handled it wrong from the start which has cost you. Chris agreed to collect your car which was an 8 hour round trip, rectify the issue if it was his issue, or attempt repair at your cost if possible. You agreed to this. His conclusion is the manifold was noisy. The turbo seals were leaking and cross contamination has ruined the supplied engine. You have not paid for this work. What
more you say he would supply a block.

What more did you want from him?

Get any engineer or decent mechanic to read this saga. They will agree with myself or Gtschris.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Dale_V wrote:We havent really heard what lewis jay thought of the engine, as he is the only one who heard the engine on first start up. surely he noticed straight from the off?

In Gtschris emails. Lewis Jay has told him the engine was fine with no issues on start. This refers to the engine not manifold or turbo.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Chris wrote:
Dale_V wrote:We havent really heard what lewis jay thought of the engine, as he is the only one who heard the engine on first start up. surely he noticed straight from the off?

In Gtschris emails. Lewis Jay has told him the engine was fine with no issues on start. This refers to the engine not manifold or turbo.

I must have missed this bit,
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

I drove to Lewis's house to collect the car, started it up and the engine was rough and had a knocking top end and knocking in the engine bay (not fitted properly) so i said sort it and recover it to my house.

When he delivered it to my house the knock from the fit had gone (he explained the fix). The engine noise was still there and i questioned him about it, "does that sound like a low mileage engine?" i asked.

"You need to contact Chris if you have a problem with the block, i just fitted it"

He even wrote (engine supplied by customer) on the receipt, which made me suspicious considering the noise and smoke.

Whatever the court action is in motion now and i'm not getting screwed over.

I've purchased from GTSCHRIS before and he's been really pleasant when taking my money but now with my first complaint...............
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

All I find strange is you started posts on here before you contacted the seller ?
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Glad I did so there's a good record of how I felt about the engine at the time.
I wanted to know where I stood before complaining and was in touch with the seller shortly after.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

Glad I did so there's a good record of how I felt about the engine at the time.
I wanted to know where I stood before complaining and was in touch with the seller shortly after.
Unsure

Post by Unsure »

To me this all sounds like you went in guns a blasing and have got everyone you dealt with back up.

I have recently had an engine supplied by GTSChris, if it had turned out to be a prob and he had offered to replace it, I would have taken it as the way I see it, the fitting costs are down to you and is part of the risk in fitting a used engine.

It sounds like he even diagnosed the fault to be the turbo, then offered to replace the engine and turbo and fit it at the relative small cost of a different turbo (prob less than 300 quid) Again, I would have jumped at this as it sounds very reasonable and would have avoided fitting costs again and also rule out the possible faulty turbo, if you still believed your turbo was not the cause you could have just put it back on after and sold the spare turbo (and get most the money back). You cant expect him to want to leave your turbo on there if he believes this to be causing the issue and risk destroying another engine.

You dont even seem to be trying to understand what others here are trying to explain to you and are confusing 2 or 3 different faults. You are even still using the car!!

Even seems the fitter does not agree with you and taken a step back from helping you too.

I would say you will be lucky to come out of court with less costs than a replacement turbo you were offered.

As for GTSChris ignoring you after you threatened court action, he had already offered you everything you could reasonably expect from the supplier and more! You seem hell bent on trying to destroy his rep, but really you are coming across as unreasonable, destroying your own rep and I know if I was a trader, I would be very reluctant to do business with you.

You have burnt your bridges and given GTSchris very little option other than for this to be settled in court which isnt going to work out well for you as you have continued to use the car (this is plain foolish and is a big face palm moment)
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

I'm not using the car, what's wrong with the situation is he tried to fob me off with telling me the engine was fine and we fell out over that fact.
The next day he sent me an email denying liability and saying the engine was damaged beyond repair. This was AFTER I had offered to have the other block fitted to sort the situation.
I posted about everything on here after he refused any out of court solution.
Sorry but he's out of order not me.
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

n9thx wrote:He even wrote (engine supplied by customer) on the receipt, which made me suspicious considering the noise and smoke.

I wouldn't be suspicious of that, i do garage doors and if i ever fit doors or parts supplied by the customer i put that on the invoice. It just means don't come asking me to fix a problem with parts i didn't supply. I wouldn't assume it's a reflection on the parts fitted.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”