Crankkiller - 3SGTE Crank failure

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

Re: Crankkiller - 3SGTE Crank failure

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Are you still crying about that crank you broke haha

Thats your cars name, you cursed it, and its depressed because you keep driving big displacement saloons and hondahhhhs lol

Good work getting it on the road, saw you in it the other day, get it finished so we can go racing :)

Graeme
ggrice

Post by ggrice »

JJ wrote:Ashman, it was doing 7K + in 5th when it let go

Just curious, can anyone let me know what speed this is? :D
JJ

Post by JJ »

Just curious, can anyone let me know what speed this is?

Don't know, I was only looking straight ! :-$ Apparently the scooby drive had an indication of 160 at one point, but he was trailing obviously ! :mrgreen:

saw you in it the other day, get it finished so we can go racing

Was that you honking at me in morrisons the other day ??!! I couldnt focus, rugby balls for eyes !!... Just needs a tidy and an oil change, then can go supercar bashing ! :mrgreen:

you keep driving big displacement saloons and hondahhhhs

Dont forget the new old edition Peugeot 306 sedan !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I was totally not mentioning that lmao
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

JJ wrote:
Quigonjay wrote:has the crank been worked on before jj?
looks a little like this one

Jay > That looks great.. any history on it.. ? Boost ? ally crank pulley ?! Or did he stick in 1st gear at 90 !! :mrgreen:

from what i can remember it was just mild mods but i will try and find out
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Quick mech eng question for someone in the know:

If my rotational assembly was balanced and I then decided to replace the crank pulley, could I get an engineer to balance my new crank pulley in exactly the same plane etc as my old one (using a known constant shaft), and would that keep my assembly balanced? Or will the extra weight of the pulley affect it?

I was of the impression that balancing the rotational assembly was all about forces applied perpendicular to the crank at a given radius, and not to do with the specific mass of the objects attached to the crank.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

Feel for ya jj :pale: im also running alloy crank pulley & alt pulley & seeing this my crank pulley will be coming off ,at the mo im still running mine in so not running big boost thankfully cheers for the heads up ive been a toyota tech for about 14 years & i know they dont design & make things for the fun of it :thumleft:
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

i have never seen a broken crank :shock: i scored mine in my drift car when i smashed my big end bearings running to much boost. \:D/ POWERRRRRRRRRRR hahahaha
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

always been wary of alloy crank pulleys to be fair. the crank damper is there for a reason. have heard of this happening on other engines with alloy undamped pulleys.
on the balancing question it depends on if it was statically or dynamically balanced.
if it was dynamically balanced then id have it checked for peace of mind. when i had mine done i supplied flywheel, pressure plates crank and pulley, these were assembled and balanced as a whole as far as i know. though saying that it didn't look like the pulleys balance was altered in any way so may have been ok to start with.
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

What kind of power are you pushing?

When i was doing an engine refresh about 4/5 years ago, noticed something similar, albeit a hairline crack, nothing as extreme as this though.

Just go TTE if you can find one :twisted: it will take EVERYTHING you throw at it and more :)
M5
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

big problem is that TTE have ceased production of them. unless you can find old stock somewhere its going to be a used one and then can you be sure of the history?
i wanted one a while ago but couldn't find one :cry:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I believe mine was balanced dynamically, having it checked isn't an option as it is all assembled now. I don't think they assemble the block to balance it, I thought they just spun it all freely (might be wrong though). No I'm in a quandary, do I go for the balanced but undampened alloy crank pulley, or the unbalanced, but dampened pulley? Don't think a fight will sort this one :(
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
ashley

Post by ashley »

I wouldn't worry too much mate unless you're planning to rev to 10k.

They normally balance the crank on it's own, then with the crank pulley, and then with the flywheel as well, and then with the clutch cover as well. So your crank will be balanced in it's own right.

Just get a stock crank pulley, get it balanced on it's own, and you'll be fine I reckon. :thumleft:

Either that or rip the block apart again and get the whole thing re-balanced with a stock pulley :eye:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

yeah sorry didnt mean they assemble the lot in the block just all the rotating parts.

i have had to put a different pulley on mine as when the engine was in the corolla i had a stock GT4 one on, now a stock mr2, but as they were both stock same typed and i dont think he had to touch my original pulley im going to give it a go. as said they were pretty well balanced to begin with, unless your going to increase the rpm by some margin it will be ok
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

ashman wrote:I wouldn't worry too much mate unless you're planning to rev to 10k.

They normally balance the crank on it's own, then with the crank pulley, and then with the flywheel as well, and then with the clutch cover as well. So your crank will be balanced in it's own right.

Just get a stock crank pulley, get it balanced on it's own, and you'll be fine I reckon. :thumleft:

Either that or rip the block apart again and get the whole thing re-balanced with a stock pulley :eye:

Rip the block apart?! No chance :lol:

I have a replacement crank pulley so will just get that balanced. Cheers.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”