[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev3 bukets and shims?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W88NEE

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev3 bukets and shims?

Post by W88NEE »

Hi just a question. I have a Rev1 head and I'm putting on a rev3 inlet manifold (keeping the tvis) and rev3 cams.

Is it advisable to get the underbuckets and shims from a rev3. Is this essential for the cams to fit.

Also are there any issues buying the buckets and shims second hand as I have been offered a set from an imoc member.

Sorry for the novice question, im just starting to learn about the head. Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks, Wayne
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev3 bukets and shims?

Post by Lewis Jay »

Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

No need to fit Rev 3 lifters. The main advantage to rev 3 lifters is that the shim is under the bucket whereas the rev 1/2 the shim is sat on top of the bucket. On high rpm and high lift / long duration cams it's possible for the cam lobe to flick the shim out of the bucket on the 'over bucket' type which would result in collateral damage!

For stock rev 3 cams you have no fear of this happening - just be sure to check valve clearances and re shim if needed.

One last thing, if you still do plan to fit rev 3 + lifters make sure you change the spring retainers also as the shim sits in these and they are different to the rev 1/2.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Hi just a question. I have a Rev1 head and I'm putting on a rev3 inlet manifold (keeping the tvis) and rev3 cams.

Is it advisable to get the underbuckets and shims from a rev3. Is this essential for the cams to fit.

Also are there any issues buying the buckets and shims second hand as I have been offered a set from an imoc member.

Sorry for the novice question, im just starting to learn about the head. Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks, Wayne

You will have a lot of welding and grinding to do to fit a rev 3 inlet to a rev 1.
The tvis will not work as the rev 3 only has 4 runners.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Century Motorsport

bobhatton wrote:
MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Hi just a question. I have a Rev1 head and I'm putting on a rev3 inlet manifold (keeping the tvis) and rev3 cams.

Thanks, Wayne

You will have a lot of welding and grinding to do to fit a rev 3 inlet to a rev 1.
The tvis will not work as the rev 3 only has 4 runners.

^^ this! Somehow I missed the bit about the manifold!
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

If its any help, i have a rev3 head that i would sell. its 100% clean, decked but is bare so no springs,valves buckets etc -only the cam caps.

Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe the rev3 head fits the revq/2 block without alteration, correct?
Century Motorsport

Correct :D

(well the metal water pipes that run from the water pump need a little modification but it's pretty straight forward).
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hey guys good info. I have spoken with Ryan at 2bar and he was running some years back a rev1 tubby with rev3 inlet and he said it is possible to run it to fit with the TVIS. When I get close to this stage I will bother him again for the info around this.

Is there any benefit of going for MR2 mrs Roadster shimless. Looking at the link earlier in the post there are good weight savings and as theres no shim theres no hassle I guess.

Any thoughts? :-k

Century Motorsport

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Hey guys good info. I have spoken with Ryan at 2bar and he was running some years back a rev1 tubby with rev3 inlet and he said it is possible to run it to fit with the TVIS. When I get close to this stage I will bother him again for the info around this.

Is there any benefit of going for MR2 mrs Roadster shimless. Looking at the link earlier in the post there are good weight savings and as theres no shim theres no hassle I guess.

Shimless is better as they are lighter but really aren't necessary.

Quick illustration on the rev 3 - 1 inlet manifold ... lods of mods and really cant see how it would work well... http://www.chicoraceworks.com/gallery/g ... e_gen2head
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Hey guys good info. I have spoken with Ryan at 2bar and he was running some years back a rev1 tubby with rev3 inlet and he said it is possible to run it to fit with the TVIS. When I get close to this stage I will bother him again for the info around this.

You still have to set up the clearances but have to change the complete buckets so unless you have lots to play with it will cost a lot of money with the Roadster ones.

Why do you want to fit a Rev 3 inlet, I feel the Rev1/2 with the TVIS working is far better.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Just thought I would look at the shimless as I either need to buy the rev3 buckets so if theres not much in it for cost may aswell go the hog and get shimless.

With regards to the rev3 inlet on to rev1 block I think I will catch up with Ryan and see how he did his, apparnatly he had some good results.

Thanks for the link Century, it was good to see the differences.

bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

What cams are you going to use?
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Only using some rev3 cams, I don't want a high powerband like 264 or 272 cams

bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Just use the Rev 1/2 shims, they will do the job with no problems
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

RyanRs wrote:
Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe the rev3 head fits the revq/2 block without alteration, correct?

Correct on the physical nature - the head fits fine, but its an absolute effin' pain in the ar$e to get all the other bits you need!

To name a few bits you would also have to change:
Throttle body
Inlet manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Throttle cable
Water outlet
That spacer that goes in the rocker
Oil catch can & all the pipework
Both engine hangers
Fuel rail
Maybe fuel lines
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Oh, I have rev 3 valve springs if you decide to do rev 3 head and use Ryan's Wayne.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I also have an exhaust manifold and 'That spacer that goes in the rocker' to get rid of too..

Oh, and a set of rev3 magnacore HT leads -2k miles and has a custom king lead which is longer. ;D
Mike N

manifold

Post by Mike N »

Wayne

I have a spare and not needed std rev 3 ex manifold.

For up to 400 bhp just use the rev 1 / 2 engine bits. A rev 3 T/B may be larger bore which may help the top end a bit. The runners are also bigger bore so aid top end flow. Mine runs fine with the Rev 1 / 2 manifold though and certainly revs well enough.

I removed the tvis butterflys etc and found all aspects of the performance instantly better. I can do this for you if needed including the welding up afterwards.

Cheers
Mike
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

hi guys just read the link showing the shimless mrs design does the head not need machining at all? the mrs bucket looks bigger outer diameter but im guessing thats just as the old gen2 one is dirty and my eyes are playing tricksys
greeny

Post by greeny »

DiYMCRT wrote:hi guys just read the link showing the shimless mrs design does the head not need machining at all? the mrs bucket looks bigger outer diameter but im guessing thats just as the old gen2 one is dirty and my eyes are playing tricksys

Straight drop in :thumleft:

Apparently they drop in the 2jz head aswell.

Just make sure you get your measurements right as the thickness range isn't very large!
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....

Return to “Modifications”