stand recirc been messed with

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nails

stand recirc been messed with

Post by Nails »

On the last mr2 Ive bought the standard recirc wheres its meant to plumb back into the intake there doesnt seem to be anywhere for it to go into (seems like cheapo ebay induction kit) so some one has put a small filter on the end of it instead......
So when you driving with a light foot you can hear it 'leaking' (or sounding more like a buses doors about to be opened) however when using boost and changing it sounds like a more aceptable 'tssh' noise.

Thing in this sounds/looks really pikey and the leaking noise is frustrating, will I also be getting worse mpg/performance also running like this, dont know whether to try and plumb it back in and see if it will now work as a recirc again or buy a 'proper' dump valve?
ForMySin

Re: stand recirc been messed with

Post by ForMySin »

The car has an air flow meter, so every time it makes the dump, the car loses an unmetered amount of air. When it does this the car continues to fuel based on the large amount of air it thinks is in the engine. So it takes a second or two to realise and change the fueling.

I had the same problem. The best course of action is to replumb the recirc back in and that should help it run better during quick gear changes.

Mpg isn't overly affected unless trying to quick shift all the time, and if the car was rev3+ would be an entirely acceptable way of doing it :) the little air filters look cool :)

A 'proper' dump valve would have the same hesitation issues as mentioned above, unless fitted in recirc mode :)

I'm sure there are more ppl who will say I'm not entirely correct but thought I'd offer as I had the same issues :)
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The noise and behaviour you've described is totally normal with the stock valve, it's just normally it feeds into a resonator box which silences it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Nails

Post by Nails »

I've forgot to update my profile. The car in question is a rev 3. Would a 'proper' bov make the leaky noise?
Never drove the last one enough to notice which had a r2d2 on it, and the first one had the standard recirc which sounded nice and I left it as that was a rev 2.
Also was looking at bovs on ebay and the 36 quid ones can't be upto much good but there was some forge ones for around 111 quid ish are they any good?
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

I got one for sale in the for sale section :) sounds amazing
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

a normal bov will stay sealed shut (unless its fooked :lol: ) untill you let off where it will then go CATTTTTTIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Nails

Post by Nails »

That's what iwas thinking it should be doing. As it should be recircing then at least that air would be going back in the system.
So are these forge ones anygood or should I stick with the hks/ biltz etc?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:a normal bov will stay sealed shut (unless its fooked :lol: ) untill you let off where it will then go CATTTTTTIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes, but that's not how the stock one behaves. It opens slightly at light throttle (I guess that's why it has 2 VAC feeds on it, 2 way valve) so as to not lead to unexpected boost gains on light pedal pressure.

Forge ones are OK, I've seen a couple with failed seals but only ever 2nd hand ones, so you've no idea how hold they are or what they've been attached to :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

toxo wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:a normal bov will stay sealed shut (unless its fooked :lol: ) untill you let off where it will then go CATTTTTTIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes, but that's not how the stock one behaves. It opens slightly at light throttle (I guess that's why it has 2 VAC feeds on it, 2 way valve) so as to not lead to unexpected boost gains on light pedal pressure.

Forge ones are OK, I've seen a couple with failed seals but only ever 2nd hand ones, so you've no idea how hold they are or what they've been attached to :)

I wasnt talking about the stock recirc valve, I was answering the question of "would a 'proper' bov make a leaking noise" :wink: Maybe I should have made it clearer and said VTA BOV :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”