Droplinks

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

phaeton

Re: Droplinks

Post by phaeton »

Lauren wrote:Seriously, buy the Toyota ones, fit them and forget about them. :+:

Not just that, you can never undo them properly, so if they need to be removed to get the strut out then easiest way is an angry grinder & replace with £15 ones, instead of fighting for 4 hours with gold plated ones.

Alan...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

phaeton wrote:
Not just that, you can never undo them properly, so if they need to be removed to get the strut out then easiest way is an angry grinder & replace with £15 ones, instead of fighting for 4 hours with gold plated ones.

Alan...

My droplinks went on 3 different cars. Never had much of an issue un-doing them tbh, so not always the case. In fact of the 4 or 5 MR2s we've had, I think there was only one droplink that I admitted defeat with. Just found it took a bit of time and patience.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

dylbie wrote:Ulysess, I'm definitely interested in how you did yours with the brass sleeve. My whole supsension needs replacing as I've got a feeling that, after 145,000miles, it's still original and fairly worn! So far I've got the springs, dampers and nuts and bolts. Now I just need drop links, bushes and, most importantly, motivation! :P

Dylbie. No problem. I made up a pair for the first MR2 I had about 10 years ago. I can't weld for toffee, so I got a pair of Ford ones, I think they were for a Fiesta. They were exactly the right length, but the knuckles were on opposing sides. I got some threaded brass sleeves on eBay that were about 3 inches long and then cut the droplinks right in the middle and threaded the cut ends by about 2 inches on each of the 4 'halves.' I can't remember the dimensions, something around 10mm I think, but you could figure this out with a screw gauge. I remember the threading took ages because I was being very slow about it, but once that was done the rest was easy. Put a lock nut on each half-link and screw them into the sleeves then use the lock nuts to tighten them so the knuckles are on the same side.

Welding is definitely stronger so when I switched cars I made a new set and called in a favour to get them welded, but the screw-in set worked fine.

Glenn
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

I bought some aftermarket ones, for a carlton, I think, they had larger diameter ends and the anti roll bar needed to be drilled. Only 15 quid odd and they don't have the allen bolt fitment so will come off easy in future with spanners only. 18 months later and no problems yet.

Drilling the anti roll bar was a pain in the ...
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

kaiowas wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:Seriously Lauren that's the worst advice ever, they are £180 a pair and will fail eventually.

My £20 focus ones last just as long.

£180 a pair? Really? TCB sell genuine Toyota ones for £40 each.

this seems to be a resonable solution - same as 2 sets of cheapos but no welding and hopefully the reliability people are after :thumleft:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
kaiowas wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:Seriously Lauren that's the worst advice ever, they are £180 a pair and will fail eventually.

My £20 focus ones last just as long.

this seems to be a resonable solution - same as 2 sets of cheapos but no welding and hopefully the reliability people are after :thumleft:

they arnt genuine toyota anymore

Outside make but the quality is excellent equal to Toyota

still good though :thumleft:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

cartledge_uk wrote:
mr2mk1chick wrote:
kaiowas wrote:

they arnt genuine toyota anymore

Outside make but the quality is excellent equal to Toyota

still good though :thumleft:

They list both on the same page

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”