Lauren's AE86. Pics on page 13.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Horrocks

Re: Lauren's AE86. Pics on page 13.

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Man that thing sucks like a peroxide tinted gold digger!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Blimey! :shocked:

And yes, I am a touch wary about using the sunroof. Mark said he tried it and it worked but did sound a bit creaky. I guess though with AC I won't really need to use it.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

RedMR² wrote:Nice! Electric sunroof. Probably wouldn't use that after 26 years :lol:

Dash reminds me of:

:D

gotta love that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Lauren wrote:
Steve Horrocks wrote:Woo hoo! Curry night next week then? You picking me up?! Lol

LOL! Maybe the week after. :+:

Already in deep discussion on James's forum about this and that and well, everything AE86. Reckon it's going to be about ten days before I can pick it up though which at least gives me time to sort Pat out and get him up on autotrader. :+:

Awesome news on the car Lauren :thumleft:

Good choice on waiting for the curry night (i will be back by then and in need of a curry :thumleft: )

the mk1 should be up and running by then aswell :)

Ps. Cadwell on the 20th April :whistle: :eye:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cheers Neil. Might be looking at picking up on the 24th which would give me a few days to get the bearding done. So, yes could be up for curry on the friday 25th. Not sure if I'd be ready for a trackday that early on though.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

we'll have to have a think on dates for the next track day when a few of us can make it :-k , thinking about it dont mind delaying it for a while (in all honesty May would be better funds wise

I will be having my final map done on the 25th i think, so should be back in time for a curry, as long as its not too early!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep, definitely. Also need to converse with Jonny about possibly sharing some pitlaning, but would be nice to be out for a trackday once I get the car sorted.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I have visons of Lauren rolling around playing super euro beat full blast and challenging people to a gum tape death match!

Has the one you purchased got the speed chime connected? ZOMG thats annoying! Thankfully its easy to get to and unplug!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Out of interest, can you change the dash to report MPH, or did it have a really slack tester when it got SVA tested? ;)

Pop up lights *and* digi dash, this is a car made in heaven :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Would have only required a MOT due to its age, SVA is only for newer cars; and as a speedo isnt even needed for a MOT it could read backwards and they couldnt fail it. :D

Unsure how easy the digi dash is to convert to MPH tho, never looked into it. The digi dash models do have a few quirks like different senders for fuel, oil etc but thats about it from what I recall.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I still cant get over the change in direction from Lauren. :shock:
johnp

Post by johnp »

matt_mr2t wrote:I still cant get over the change in direction from Lauren. :shock:

Matt,just getting older doesn't preclude you from having strange ideas from time to time,I know that only too well... :)
She'll enjoy it for a year and then move on,it will prove difficult for day to day use ,it's really a weekend toy.
That dash looks identical to my old '85 Celica Supra,I like it.It had a feature where you pressed a button and it converted the fuel guage scale from 0 to full to 0 to 1/4,for judging more preciely what was left.
This is written from the US...hoping to be down at the local drag track at the weekend to see the good 'ol boys run :)
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I think it's brilliant she's buying a car that she's always wanted, I know exactly how that feels and how scary it can be. Really pleased for you Lauren, hope the car is everything you want it to be :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

ekona wrote:I think it's brilliant she's buying a car that she's always wanted, I know exactly how that feels and how scary it can be. Really pleased for you Lauren, hope the car is everything you want it to be :thumleft:

Indeed!

Good on you Lauren! :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:I still cant get over the change in direction from Lauren. :shock:

I felt it was time for a mid-life crisis. :+:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

toxo wrote:Out of interest, can you change the dash to report MPH, or did it have a really slack tester when it got SVA tested? ;)

Pop up lights *and* digi dash, this is a car made in heaven :lol:

I might be able to convert it to MPH, but i'm not all that bothered as Mark's old SE still read in Kmh as did the DC2. You just get used to it after a while. Will be fun doing my mileage claims in km for work though, bet they'll love that at payroll.

It seriously is retro tastic I'd agree. :+:

Lol at the duct tape death match! But you never know. :tongue:

In respect of buying a stupidly old car, I might be a little bit mad, but I can't help being a total petrolhead, it feels like I have some kind of syndrome at times, but as my mum says, I've always been like that.

I just love these cars and have fancied one since I saw a red panda Corolla GT parked on my road back in 1983(!). Since then I've been lucky enough to drive one and you know, when I had the MR2 I had such a good time with the whole scene, I fancy doing a bit more of that again except this time with an AE86.

I think I've missed all that with having a new car. I know I'm going to have to get my hands dirty from time to time, but I ran a 20 year old 1986 MK1 NA with no issues whatsoever really, so it can be done.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Well done Lauren,
I didn't know about these cars until this thread (what a muppet). I had heard of AE86 but didn't know what they were but have eagerly learnt all I can whilst reading. Loving the youtube vids you posted up and thought this one was awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okKGPsi ... re=related

Are they similar to this as standard or do they need alot of tuning.

I understand the thrill of getting a car you have always longed for coz that is how it was with the Mk1 for me. I wanted one from the day they came out when I was 12, got one when I was 33 and it's now ready for this Summer and I am now 38. Feels like a life time of waiting.

Anyway congrats on the purchase and thats another one to add to my list of wants.

Bod
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Thanks Bod. :+:

I think that one in the vid is tuned, but really most of them are. That one could be a Blacktop 20v, they do sound so good. Or, it could be a tuned 16v.

In the AE86 world, there are a lot of fanatics out there doing NA tuning. So you'll find a lot of people on the forums fitting throttle bodies and cams etc and doing headwork. It's all about old school tuning I guess.

Tbh though pretty much every AE86 out there has aftermarket suspension and at least an exhaust. This is true of the car I found which has TRD blue dampers, but not sure what the yellow springs are. The one I found is pretty standard, but I don't mind that as doubtless I will play with it a bit. Mark is keen on putting his rebuilt GZE in it. In a way I'd prefer NA as there is something addictive as you know about revving the nuts off a 4AGE, but we'll see. Plenty of options available. :+:

Have seen that vid just a few times, one of the best known ones, but there are loads on youtube. I was watching some AE86 racing the other night and also there are loads of drifting vids out there.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mark fired up the EPC last night and we checked out the VIN and stuff.

Turns out it was built in September 1985. It is a 'Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex'.

This is the top model, so explains why it's got all the extras. Am off to Toyota later to order a load of parts ready for service. :+:

/money pit already!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

More money pit news. Well I went to see my old friend down at Macc Toyota. Must be 6 odd years since I've hassled him for parts.

Ordered:
Dizzy cap £19.31
HT Lead set £112.49
Platinum Denso spark plugs £12.40 each though he gave me 30% discount on these(!).
Moulding for the rear arch that is damaged. Yes, they had this in stock! £53.29
Rotor Arm £9.39

I got 10% off all the other items.

Still, £260 inc VAT.

Return to “Member Profiles”