Droplinks

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Droplinks

Post by Grendel »

Yes I know this has been done to death but what else fits the Mk1 without being extortionately price like the Original Mr T ones?

So far I’ve been through 2 sets of the Twos R Us ones and they are crap and have just killed off the £30 ones from E-Bay. I did remember someone saying Ford ones might fit?
PW@Woodsport

Re: Droplinks

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes i use modified Focus ones, you need to cut, sleeve and weld them to get the heads pointing the right way, but they cost £10 each.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Hmm that could be a problem since dont have a welder or know how to use one ](*,)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I found these yday mate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-REAR-S ... ccessories

free postage
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I did wander about putting another cheap set on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-mk1-fr ... 439e5ab8c3

£20 every couple of years has to be cheaper than Mr T prices for originals.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

these dont look like the cheap ones on ebay, these have the rubber boots on them.
ulysess1966

Thread

Post by ulysess1966 »

Grendel wrote:Hmm that could be a problem since dont have a welder or know how to use one ](*,)

The first set I made were from a pair of Fiesta links and I couldn't weld either so I threaded the cut ends and then tapped two lengths of brass sleeve and screwed them in with lock nuts. Not as elegant as welding, but it works.

I made another set for a different car and those are welded, but I got someone else to do that as a favour :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Seriously, buy the Toyota ones, fit them and forget about them. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Seriously Lauren that's the worst advice ever, they are £180 a pair and will fail eventually.

My £20 focus ones last just as long.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Seriously Lauren that's the worst advice ever, they are £180 a pair and will fail eventually.

It's okay if you've got a welder and want to mess about with them. I fitted a set new to my car, last fine and that was with lots and lots of trackdays. IIRC they were 4 years old, had been on 3 different cars and were still going! So it's not really the worst advice ever is it?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The modification to make Focus ones work take 5 minutes and can be done by anyone, i could fit 9 pairs of them for the same cost as 1 pair of Toyota.

Surely the idea is to save Mr2 owners money and keep our cars on the road?

In my opinion the best advice is not to go to the dealership and fork out nearly £200 for two droplinks when there is a viable alternative, even if you had to ask a garage to mod them for you.

By the way no PM's please, i don't sell these, just fit them to my customers cars.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Seriously Lauren that's the worst advice ever, they are £180 a pair and will fail eventually.

£180 a pair? Really? TCB sell genuine Toyota ones for £40 each.
ulysess1966

Post by ulysess1966 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:The modification to make Focus ones work take 5 minutes and can be done by anyone, i could fit 9 pairs of them for the same cost as 1 pair of Toyota.

Surely the idea is to save Mr2 owners money and keep our cars on the road?

Not sure about the welding being done by just anyone, but I agree with the sentiment about saving money. There are enough things for the MR2 that have to be bought (i.e. knock sensor) that saving money where possible makes a lot of sense.

If anyone is remotely interested (probably not), I went and had a look and remembered that I bought the brass sleeve already threaded on eBay, so I only had to thread the cut ends of the droplinks. I remember it being time-consuming, but not difficult, so yes, anyone probably could do this.
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Since I got my Integra and my mk1 lies to the side (sick of poo handling ), I haven't been on this site much.

But its great to see that PW and Lauren continue to entertain with a mulder and scully like relationship!
\:D/
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

ligertigon wrote:
But its great to see that PW and Lauren continue to entertain with a mulder and scully like relationship!
\:D/

Yes one is very informative and helpful the other is a thread hijacking pain in the ar$e with little to contribute.

I'll let you decide which is which. :whistle:
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

ligertigon what do you mean by sick of poo handling?! :O I was tempted by an Integra a while back but thought that mid-engined handling would always be better than front engined, front wheel drive, so kept the MR2.

Ulysess, I'm definitely interested in how you did yours with the brass sleeve. My whole supsension needs replacing as I've got a feeling that, after 145,000miles, it's still original and fairly worn! So far I've got the springs, dampers and nuts and bolts. Now I just need drop links, bushes and, most importantly, motivation! :P
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Dylbie,
Don't get me wrong,the mk1 is a joy to drive and very nimble. But when it lets go there is little warning and even supermans reflexs couldn't get it back.

It oversteers, understeers and mine goes into 4 wheel drifts in the wet.

I'm sure there are better handling ones out there, but it is approaching 30 year old status.

The integra has very good handling, but is ugly and has no soul.

I would only prefer the integra for a track day.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Something must be wrong with yours then as others do handle very well for 20+ years old. :thumleft:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

un1eash wrote:Something must be wrong with yours then as others do handle very well for 20+ years old. :thumleft:

I agree mine is 23 year old with no handling issues. Just need good tyres.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Mine is understeering like a b1tch recently maybe due to the bushes being worn so I can understand where ligertigon is coming from. Doesn't 4-wheel drift though :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”