Legal advice - NEW DEVELOPMENTS - Further Update!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

Re: Legal advice - NEW DEVELOPMENTS - Further Update!

Post by ^Trickster^ »

lol what a muppet the guy is, id send him a letter back with this written on it

LOL

:)

Graeme
dgibson2004

Post by dgibson2004 »

Send him the following I am sure the interest and fee he would recieve would more than cover the cost

Lagos, Nigeria.
Attention: The President/CEO

Dear Sir,

Confidential Business Proposal

Having consulted with my colleagues and based on the information gathered from the Nigerian Chambers Of Commerce And Industry, I have the privilege to request your assistance to transfer the sum of $47,500,000.00 (forty seven million, five hundred thousand United States dollars) into your accounts. The above sum resulted from an over-invoiced contract, executed, commissioned and paid for about five years (5) ago by a foreign contractor. This action was however intentional and since then the fund has been in a suspense account at The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank.

We are now ready to transfer the fund overseas and that is where you come in. It is important to inform you that as civil servants, we are forbidden to operate a foreign account; that is why we require your assistance. The total sum will be shared as follows: 70% for us, 25% for you and 5% for local and international expenses incidental to the transfer.

The transfer is risk free on both sides. I am an accountant with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). If you find this proposal acceptable, we shall require the following documents:

(a) your banker's name, telephone, account and fax numbers.

(b) your private telephone and fax numbers —for confidentiality and easy communication.

(c) your letter-headed paper stamped and signed.

Alternatively we will furnish you with the text of what to type into your letter-headed paper, along with a breakdown explaining, comprehensively what we require of you. The business will take us thirty (30) working days to accomplish.

Please reply urgently.

Best regards

Howgul Abul Arhu
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

UPDATE - Received another letter today saying as i had haven't responded to his letter i now have 14 days to reach a settlement or he will take me to court, lol.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

dazzz wrote:He's just trying it on mate.

Now he's got a reply, he knows you've actually considerd his original letter and are obviously concerned.

If you ingnore this one, you will get more, then when you reply at a later dtae he'll think it's beacuse of his numerous recorded mails and will think he's getting somewhere.

Nip it in the bud now and save yourself a lot of time.

Send him a letter / email simply saying..

FXXK OFF YOU STUPID XXXX.

If you do nothing about it now, in 2 weeks time you'll get another along the lines of ' this is your final chance before court blah blah blah'.

Just out of interest are you male or female?
rsand85

Post by rsand85 »

been watching this thread for a while seems to just keep going.Trust me the guy has NO CHANCE my sis bought a Seat leon turbo from a guy did 13miles and Put the engine in s**t looked into the legal side of it comes down to car being sold as seen and not a legal leg to stand on or hope of getting a penny so your quite safe best just ignore him he will take the hint!! :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

sam1176uk wrote:UPDATE - Received another letter today saying as i had haven't responded to his letter i now have 14 days to reach a settlement or he will take me to court, lol.

Another one for the shredder :mrgreen:
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

dazzz wrote:
Just out of interest are you male or female?

:?
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

I havent read all the thread but \i had a friend in a similar situation, apart from it was a van and was previously clocked..... a few MOT's before he brought it.

The buyer took him to court and took him to the cleaners - had to pay £2800 back even though my friend had brought the van with the same mileage on it as to when he sold it 4 months after..

Just beware and don't dismiss it thinking it'll go away as there is a chance it won't.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Century Motorsport

And sold as seen means nada in the eyes of the law!
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Century Motorsport wrote:I havent read all the thread but \i had a friend in a similar situation, apart from it was a van and was previously clocked..... a few MOT's before he brought it.

The buyer took him to court and took him to the cleaners - had to pay £2800 back even though my friend had brought the van with the same mileage on it as to when he sold it 4 months after..

Just beware and don't dismiss it thinking it'll go away as there is a chance it won't.

I would say thats alot different due to it being a Clocked vehical that was sold.... Most likely because its illegal ;)

Were talking mechanical problems months after a sale, if you could legally do that then thats like saying Everything used / privatley sold on ebay has a 12 month guarantee or even Everything sold on here, Gearbox's, used turbos, Engines etc also come with a guarantee
rsand85

Post by rsand85 »

true clocking a car is a bit different i had a mate in this exact predicament sold his evo 5 guy test drove it all was good then 2 months later guy phoned and claimed that the car was put to a mitsubishi garage and needed 5k of work including a new front cross member and the shot blasting and respraying of the entire underside new disks and pads allround new shocks all round the list goes on!!!if the car needed all this it would have been undriveable!!needless to say he was told to wind his neck in he threatened legal proceedings would be started and was never heard from again as many have said if it was this easy selling anything would be a nitemare ](*,)
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

Just going to ignore it again, tempting as it is to reply! He keeps re-iterating the fact the car was unroadworthy as though he thinks that strenghtens his case.
Marf

Post by Marf »

sam1176uk wrote:Just going to ignore it again

Good man. Like I said the more you reply the more he thinks he's got a fish on his hook.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Marf wrote:
sam1176uk wrote:Just going to ignore it again

Good man. Like I said the more you reply the more he thinks he's got a fish on his hook.

I would actually reply to him, if it does get to court a judge could take quite a dim view of your conduct if you ignore the claimants attempts to resolve the matter.

I would send a recorded letter, again refuting any claim for compensation and asking him to outline the nature of his claim, including reference to the specific Laws he is relying on, to allow you to prepare your defence and that any further communication will be ignored.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Why waste time doing any of that when Sam has the law on his side?

I'm going to take this nice and slow...

It

Will

Never

Never

Never

Never

Go

To

Court

Caveat Emptor on second hand private car sales

DO NOT REPLY

:thumleft:
sam1176uk

Post by sam1176uk »

Lol, like i say i get the feeling that by replying to this guy i am only encouraging further contact/discussion, i feel i have said all there is to say on the matter really.
Phoned C.A.B today and they said he would only have a claim if the car wasn't mine to sell or if the ad was misleading http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... t=#1248777

They did however say the car had to be roadworthy but couldn't expand on that when i asked what would be classed as "roadworthy", pretty vague.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

If you have an email address for him, link him to this thread so he can have his say (and so we can laugh at him)
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Marf wrote:Why waste time doing any of that when Sam has the law on his side?

I'm going to take this nice and slow...

It

Will

Never

Never

Never

Never

Go

To

Court

Caveat Emptor on second hand private car sales

DO NOT REPLY

:thumleft:

Mainly because your staement is not accurate, I agree that Sam's buyer has very little chance of bringing a successful action, there is, however nothing to stop him paying the £35 to bring court action.

There is equally nothing to stop a judge in the small claims court from finding that Sam has no case to answer re the sale of the car, but awarding costs under CPR Part 44.3 if he finds Sam's conduct unreasonable.... Unlikely, personally I would cover my bases, for the time it takes to write a letter.

Dont get me wrong the buyer is clearly a complete tool and has no hope of claiming compensation.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Ignore all future correspondence. It's not worth wasting your brain power even thinking about. In this case a head-in-the-sand mentality actually WILL make it go away!
Century Motorsport

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
Century Motorsport wrote:I havent read all the thread but \i had a friend in a similar situation, apart from it was a van and was previously clocked..... a few MOT's before he brought it.

I would say thats alot different due to it being a Clocked vehical that was sold.... Most likely because its illegal ;)

Were talking mechanical problems months after a sale, if you could legally do that then thats like saying Everything used / privatley sold on ebay has a 12 month guarantee or even Everything sold on here, Gearbox's, used turbos, Engines etc also come with a guarantee

That wasn't my point... my point was that although there was sufficient proof that my friend had nothing to do with the clocking, he still got nailed for it.

So what ever the previous owner did before you, you are still held liable..... which to me seems a little crazy!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”