Roll cage, T-Bar, tall guy, and retain interior

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shmed

Roll cage, T-Bar, tall guy, and retain interior

Post by Shmed »

Are all of the above possible?

It would be a requirement for me to enter the TSS in the A1 street category (don't want to go pro as I don't want to gut the car - yet).
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
dave5526

Re: Roll cage, T-Bar, tall guy, and retain interior

Post by dave5526 »

The cusco cage fits with all of the above other than you would have to cut 4 patches of carpet and 2 in the rear firewall carpet if it's a 6pt.

Not 100% sure on the height thing actually, I'm average height and had a good few inches of headroom with the cusco cage, and that was with bucket seats which I think sat slightly higher than std due to the way I modified the seat brackets.

But the cusco cage only bolts to the floor panels, if I was having another I'd go for something like the Rogue wled-in cage. Pretty sure you have to remove at least some of the interior for that and cut the dash though.
ashley

Post by ashley »

The 'standard' mk2 cage that rogue supply is bolt in, although you do have to weld some brackets in to bolt it to...nice cages :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

seats will make a massive difference on this, if you have bcket seats then you can get them lower with a bit of work, which helps!

I still use mine on the road so having my head completely clear of the bar was a must.

(note mine is a mk1 so slighlty different)

maybe worth speaking to chris cooke on the forums to go and have a test sit in his? (just installing a rogue cage)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Cheers for the replies. I am planning a trip to see Patrick @ Rogue and hopefully try out a few arrangements.

I will be going full bucket seat, so that sounds like it might help, and I know Rogue make an adjustable rail (albeit not on a 'slider' per se), which is useful too.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

I've got a 6 point cage in my T-bar. As someone else has said its the seats that make the biggest difference. With a helemet on and using the standard seats my head 'just' touches the cage. I'm 5ft 10''
Ideally you want to have some buckets set nice and low.

Cheers
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I think I might need the floor knocking out, Flintstones stylee :D
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

You need to come and sit in a car with a proper roll cage in. It's actually possible to fit our cage and retain a fair amount of heavy, flammable interior trim - if that's what you want to do. ;)

We've fitted one to peterjf's car in the past that ran in the TSS and kept most of it's trim.

BTW, I've just sent in my entry for Rockingham. I'll be running my roadster in the Pro C class.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Just trying to get the car out of my mates place at the minute Patrick, I'll give you a shout when it's out and I have more time.

I only want to retain my interior so I can go into A1 street (although I don't think it's on for this season :()

I don't want to go A1 pro, because then I'm in with all the big boys 8-[
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
greeny

Post by greeny »

Don't know which way you've decided to go schmed, but il have a cusco "style" (not sure whether its cusco or not) 4PT cage for sale soon.

It's more of a fast road/sprint cage than a full cage like rogue sells.

I'm swapping all my runnning gear into another shell and have decided i'l be needing something a little more substantial should the worse happen, hence it'l be up for sale soon.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I might be interested in that Greeny, I'm only looking to fit a cage because I need it for the TSS regs.

Keep me posted :thumleft:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

I would check with the tss guys, if that's a dash dodger cusco cage it may be no good for what you need.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
greeny

Post by greeny »

bri0905 wrote:I would check with the tss guys, if that's a dash dodger cusco cage it may be no good for what you need.

Yup, it doesnt go through the dash.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

The car that won Class C last year had a Dash dodger fitted to it so that wont be a problem. I personally wouldn't use a Dash dodger though & don't see the point in fitting a cage that doesn't meet MSA spec. Maybe after a year or so of the TSS you'll want to race in a another series which you would then have to buy yet another cage. Buy the right one and buy once.
That's my opinion though & it's your car at the end of the day.

Craig.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Good advice too. I notice they changed (or I misread) the TSS regs on the A1 street to say that no interior trim can be removed except that which is necessary for fitting the cage, so I guess I don't need a dash dodger.

I don't want a cage that collapses and impales me in the event of an incident.....
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
greeny

Post by greeny »

Yep, well this is more a fast road/occasional track use cage.

I'm only upgrading as my cars getting a little too fast now and just wanting a little more security should the worse happen :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay the money, you only get one chance at this life :pray:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
cheese_chaser

Post by cheese_chaser »

I have a full custom made FIA spec cage and cobra monaco buckets. I'm 6'2 and I had to do (to nick your apt expression) a flintstones job! I tried the buckets straight on the std floor mounting points and found that with the t-bar panels out and my helmet on my head was sticking out of the roof. If you're six foot plus then I'd wager that at the very least you'll have to grind off the rear mounting points, weld in some strengthening plates and weld/bolt your brackets to the floor. Lot's of work for us lanky lads I'm afraid!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Yeh, I'm 6'2" too, I've pretty much had enough of my car an things not being easy (I know it's always the way with modified cars). I enjoyed it for a while, but it's becoming a drain on time and money with no tangible results thus far. I do see why people flog their project cars not long after finishing them.

That said, I'm trying to remain positive. Just need to get the car driving again and I think I'll be outsourcing a lot more jobs from now on. Time is probably more precious than money at the minute (missing the lad growin up by being stuck in a workshop).

Cheers for the tip though, it's confirmed that the seat and cage are definitely an outsource job.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

With the right cage and seats it's not a squeeze.

I'm 6'5" and fit nicely with helmet on and room to spare.

Side mount seats, rogue cage. Fitted the seats as tight to the floor as the brackets allow. This means the seat is almost touching the brace that runs across the floor of the car. Mine is a tin top but the inner roof can't be more than 2" lower in a tbar can it?
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”