[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine almost starts HELP!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W88NEE

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine almost starts HELP!!!

Post by W88NEE »

Hi I have just put a Rev1 Turbo back together after a head gasket failure. The engine is entirely standard and when I try and turn the engine over the car starts for between 0.5 to 2 seconds then cuts out. Sometimes she starts for a full 2 secs and others its less than a second which I find really strange.

I have checked for engine fault codes but there are none, however an engine warning light does come on, the one to the right hand of the speedo that is a picture of an engine and a gust of wind.

The car still needs its exhaust putting on but the lambada sensor is connected, apart from that it seems that everything is connected.

Any suggestions on potential problems as Im a little baffeled.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine almost starts HELP!!!

Post by Ryan S »

sounds like a boost hose is off, and the light sounds like the cat temp warning light, more than likely a faulty sensor :thumleft:
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Thanks for the tip I will have a look but I literally speant 2 hours today going over all the pipes and they all seem pretty good, any other suggestions? :)

Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Is the flap in the AFM stuck.

Try unplugging the AFM electrical plug connector and running it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Thanks for the tip I will have a look but I literally speant 2 hours today going over all the pipes and they all seem pretty good, any other suggestions? :)

i did have a similar problem after putting non premium fuel, if the engine didn't catch first time, it would'n catch at all :) is the air flow meter plugged in properly??? just strange that it'd start for a few secs then cut out, :-k

possible dodgy blow off valve too?? i have an apex one that was ok on boost, but when trying to idle the car would cut out :-s
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hey guys, excellent suggestions I will check the AFM tom, it was plugged in but no idea about the flap, saying that I do know that there is a split in that pipe where it join the turbo. I have a spare but didnt think it would be an issue just to try a start up.

Any thing else. Hopefuly I can collect a few really good ideas to try.

W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Oh the really frustrating thing is I bought the car dirt cheep already partly stripped so I have never heard this one running and hoping it was just a head gasket problem. The fuel tank is half full, no idea if its premium or not.

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Hey guys, excellent suggestions I will check the AFM tom, it was plugged in but no idea about the flap, saying that I do know that there is a split in that pipe where it join the turbo. I have a spare but didnt think it would be an issue just to try a start up.

Any thing else. Hopefuly I can collect a few really good ideas to try.

make sure the afm is the right way round as well( dunno if this would apply with the standard air box) the flap can get stuck open if it's the wrong way, like, on it's back, sounds stupid, but i've seen it happen :D
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Could be fuelling and it's just running off the cold start injector for a couple of seconds, but not getting fuel from the injectors.

Jon
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i would say its a fueling issue somewhere.

I also had a very similar thing happen to another. Would start for a few seconds then die or would run for hours then next time would not start at all. That turned out to be a fubar'ed engine wiring loom.

Could be so many things wrong from a simple pipe in wrong way to a fubar'ed ECU. Have you done a compression test on the Engine yet?
mark239

Post by mark239 »

is it correctly timed ?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

If your confident that all the hoses from the airlow meter onwards are secure...check your cold start timer switch, the black/grey sensor on the front of your water elbow...be gentle as they break very easily, you can try unplugging it first and then trying to start...does it smell of juice?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:I have checked for engine fault codes but there are none, however an engine warning light does come on, the one to the right hand of the speedo that is a picture of an engine and a gust of wind.

That's not an engine warning light, it's the light for the engine bay fan. That has its own control box, fuse and relay which is usually situated next to the ECU.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote: saying that I do know that there is a split in that pipe where it join the turbo. I have a spare but didnt think it would be an issue just to try a start up.

AFM cars are very suseptible to leaks between afm and throttle boddy really so i would change that first and try it again.

can you keep it running with altering the throttle position ?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just a thought but if the battery died or was disconnected during the HG repairs maybe the factory immobiliser has kicked in. My understanding is that some work by disabling the fuel pump....?

R.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

that is correct!
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

your engine needs fuel air and a spark

I have started mine with the air pipes removed so air was going in from the throttle body mouth (not a good idea tho)

take a plug out and lay it on an earth, your rocker cover will be fine if its not painted. give the key a flick and have a look! you should get a good strong flash from the arc on the exposed plug. if not your plugs are bu88ered or your coil is not producing enough amps! next gave a good sniff down the hole ya took the plug out of =P~ as djkpins said it should smell juice lol if not ya not getting any gass through which implies your rail is not holding any pressure. if the first 2 steps don't appear to be the problem then she ain't getting enough air, therefore fludding. this means there is something wrong with as lewis said ya flap in the afm.

are you covered my rac etc.... just call them out and tell them some balls about your usual run about! when they have sorted that ask them if they will have a quick look at ya 2! everyone loves 2's, he will be all over it like a cheap perfume and have it running I. no time! its amazing what toys they have nowadays

from experience I would say your timing is 180 out. its simple to do. ppl forget that for every 2 revolutions of the crank the cams only go around once! lol I made this mistake on the first car I timed, I was there for days scratching my head and screaming expletives. small children began to cry and neighbours shut there doors and windows lol
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hey guys,

This is some awsome stuff, I love the idea about getting the RAC man, like you said im sure he would take a look.

I am printing off this thread and taking it to the car in a day or so (work commitments) and methodically work through it using RAC man at the end.

Your all stars in my book, fingers crossed she fires up.

:thumleft: :clap: :clap:

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You can skip the bit about immobilisers then :) They didn't get them until rev5, unless you have an aftermarket one.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

D'oh, yeah after market is what I was meaning. Mind you I thought factory ones were earlier than rev5. Live and learn.

Return to “Mechanical”