[Mk2] [Turbo] help needed restoring a tubby

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

swaggansway

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] help needed restoring a tubby

Post by swaggansway »

you didn't help in person online advice.....rear bed bolt, the long one, snapped off ...couldn't get to it caws was inside chasis. you said 'dig around with a screwdriver, a little window will open revealing the nut'maybe it was not you?
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

my new office
Rob

Post by Rob »

swaggansway wrote:you didn't help in person online advice.....rear bed bolt, the long one, snapped off ...couldn't get to it caws was inside chasis. you said 'dig around with a screwdriver, a little window will open revealing the nut'maybe it was not you?

Not me guv'nor!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

You can't knock up a lobster thermador with aubergine frickase in there mate...... :lol:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

mmmmmmmm lobster yum

ice installed

front ac rad, terminated

water system flushed

the question now is do I need 2 fans... left one (looking from front) has had its bonce kicked in from my little incident in the snow! I have a spare but the connector is different. it is grey! in fact the connections on the ones fitted are different to each other.

I am assuming the bu88ered one is the ac one!

can anyone confirm this pls?

only short passengers now lol
15'' 1000rms bass
8)
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

phat man... :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: Ild keep both fans running, just use connector blocks and tape mate...not sure about sticking the amp in the frunk though...won't it get a bit damp in there, y'know , ambient moisture...I stuck mine behind the drivers seat...was going to put it the boot, but thats where I stick the dead bodies after I've finished with 'em
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

they will be fine..... remember they get hot so will keep em dry! besides they come out easy enough if I leave her standing for any amount of time!

will wire the fans in series, I was thinking of doing that anyways so you just confirmed my thoughts!

getting my ct20b tom....apparently it has an upgraded actuator! how does this improve the performance?

lewis has my engine out ready for freight yay

do you think the alloys I have on my vectra will go on? they have top end verdenstine tyres on, cost over a ton each so wanna use them!

how much for the rev3 tweeter housings pls, and can I get something to put in my spair din tray to accommodate gauges?

don't suppose you have a piller pod think?
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

got my ct20b turbo....thanx terry :thumleft:

engine will hopefully be here thursday \:D/

no in out play, side side play is in spec.... little clean up and away we go
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Loveley jubbley mate :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Hearing some funny things on this thread.....

18bar of boost, I'm letting go as a typo, unless you really did push 252 PSI through a CT26 :shock:

You also need to use the CT26 oil feed unless the new block is a Rev 3 block.

I thought, but could be wrong on this, that the CT20 was steel, and the CT26 was ceramic (exhaust wheel only though), and I've never heard of anyone upgrading from a CT20 to a CT26, unless it's a CT-26 hybrid, but thats different.

I like how you've managed to sort the ICE out though, must be rocking that barn :lol:

Again, stick my neck out and say uprated actuator won't give any more power, unless the old actuator is weak and you get boost leak, but then the power gain is from the boost, not the actuator (if that makes sense).

It will give better boost control perhaps....
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Shmed wrote:Hearing some funny things on this thread.....

18bar of boost, I'm letting go as a typo, unless you really did push 252 PSI through a CT26 :shock:

I thought, but could be wrong on this, that the CT20 was steel, and the CT26 was ceramic (exhaust wheel only though), and I've never heard of anyone upgrading from a CT20 to a CT26, unless it's a CT-26 hybrid, but thats different.

Had my Ct26 at 18PSi only for a second or two by accident when a hose let go, but it still works now. :whistle:

There are various types of Ct26 and Ct20 with iconel, ceramic and steel internals. :-k

Have a read below:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=2 ... ge=1&pp=30

Engine`s is on its way too. :thumleft: :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Lewis Jay wrote:
Had my Ct26 at 18PSi only for a second or two by accident when a hose let go, but it still works now. :whistle:

18 PSI is a far cry from 18 bar though :eye:

I had my CT26 running at 21PSI (1.5 bar) for a couple of pulls when I first fixed my boost leak (the manual controller was set wrong) - the turbo is toast now...... but not from those pulls. It did a couple of hours round Mallory at 1.1 bar, then the exhaust wheel disintegrated #-o
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

ha ha ha...rude boy :lol:

bet it was fun tho :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

It certainly was, felt like a different car! I'd gone from a car that leaked boost at about 0.9 bar, to one that was not leaking boost at 1.5bar - it felt insane :twisted:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Shmed wrote:It certainly was, felt like a different car! I'd gone from a car that leaked boost at about 0.9 bar, to one that was not leaking boost at 1.5bar - it felt insane :twisted:
:lol: :thumleft:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

shmed... I didn't do that to that poor ct26...I found it on a another forum! thought it was funny ass..

the spiders and rats have had enough and moved out barn lol

the actuator is set for one bar I have been told....j guess this cuts the need for a boost control valve?

I think I went ott on ice man.... will never sort all the rattles, it bu88ered most my light bulbs oooops....I put a similar but bit bigger one in a fiat tipo 2ltr tubby and it clean took my back window out to a prodigy tax :lol: guessing it must have been week tho .
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

hey lewis....getting excited bout your engine getting here...back to some real work, by bored hands can't stop finding other bits to fix!

got quoted 40-60 squid to face flywheel, does this sound right?

:-k
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Had one done for £30 before.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

I am gonna clear this up once and for all... the ct20b has a ceramic shaft. it is smaller in thinner than the ct26 shaft therefore allowing it to spool more smoothly.

the ct26 has a ceramic exhaust wheel!
there are many many variations, but these are the ones Toyota made for the mr2

I think :-k rotfl

I will almost certainly stand corrected on this!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

also stuck a ct20 on the hilux i think...waits to be corrected

Return to “Mechanical”