Can't get in the car

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ColleyV8

Can't get in the car

Post by ColleyV8 »

OK, small problem, just washed the car and locked it with the remote (toad ai606).

Came out to put it back in the garage and pressed the fob, lights blink twice as normal but the locks don't open. Had a flat battery last night and had it on the charger today, plus took it out to pick up some bits from the shop.

No problem, I think, just use the key to open door, pop frunk and charge battery again. Keys don't work in any of the locks. Never had to try them since I bought the car, always used the fobs.

Came with two keys and two fobs so thought everything should work. How can I get into the car to charge the battery (presuming it is a flat battery not energising the central locking). I have a charger that also outputs 12v so if I can get to some wiring, I could possibly attach it to that to provide 12v to the central locking as I have had to do with the BMW before using the number plate light.

Help would be appreciated.
Lewis Jay

Re: Can't get in the car

Post by Lewis Jay »

8-[
ashley

Post by ashley »

Should be easy enough to get a lead onto the main live on the alternator?
ColleyV8

Post by ColleyV8 »

Thanks Ashman, didn't think of that, will give it a go tomorrow, either that or its the water thats got into some connections.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

you dont need power to unlock the car with the key. You can lock and unlock the car with no battery connected.... unless yours has had the ignition barrell changed but the door locks left and thats why your key wont work...
ColleyV8

Post by ColleyV8 »

Thats what I think has happened, the keys don't work in any of the locks
ColleyV8

Post by ColleyV8 »

Managed to charge the car from the b post cable on the alternator, still wont open.

The central locking clicks when you lock the doors but not when you open them.

Will toyota be able to cut a key from the vin number or V5 document seeing as it is an import.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

not 100% sure but its worth a try. can you not contact the last owner and ask if they have the key?

Might have to wedge the window open a bit and use a metal rod bent to shape to flick the door lock manually

or a lock smith that offers an opening / unlocking service might be able to help if you cant flick it with a metal rod and toyota cant cut the key
ColleyV8

Post by ColleyV8 »

Fixed, managed to get the door open in the end, Thank Steve.

Alarm went off, disarmed alarm with fob, now central locking works fine, must have thought the door was open or something.

Now to get the door panel off the passenger side and find the serial number to get the key cut, will try and get the ignition barrel matched to the doors if possible, unless someone has a full set of locks and key available.

Cheers
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i have a full set of rev1/2 and a full set of rev3+ locks in the 4 sale section mate if you need them :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”