IDEAL ENGINES (Proof of tax evasion?)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

N9THX

IDEAL ENGINES (Proof of tax evasion?)

Post by N9THX »

This is the conversation i've had with the dodgy outfit over the last few days, i've no intention of using them thanks to the members on here and some research of my own.
In the last reply from them they appear to be offering a deal without paying VAT. Maybe i should forward the emails to the tax man? :-k

Dear idealengines,

I have a 1995 Rev3 MR2 Turbo in need of an engine (small end bearing failure) and gearbox syncho (4th to 3rd is crunching) although i drive it everyday fine with just a tappety noise when not under load.
Could you quote me for fitted engine and box or just engine and i'll source a box if you are not able to.
Thanks.

- n9thx
==============================================

Dear n9thx,

morning, small ends are kind of common on those
lumps. if you can bring the vehicle down to us i
can do a recon engine supplied and fitted for
1295.00. if you want the gearbox as well i only
have tested second hand units in stock at the
minute but could do it as engine and box fitted
for 1700.00 all in. i have 2 spots available early
next week if you would like to have it done but
then it looks like the schedule jams up a bit near
the end of the week so let me know if you are
interested and i can pencil you in.
thanks
tony

- idealengines
===============================================

Dear idealengines,

I can get it to you Monday afternoon if that's ok. How long will you need the car for to fit the engine and box and is there any warranty with the box?
Thanks.
================================================

Dear n9thx,

box comes with a 3 month warranty as its not a
recon but should last you quite a while more than
that and yep mondays fine bud. just stop down and
ask for tony. many thanks

- idealengines

Dear idealengines,

How long will you have it for? I take it i can pay with credit card when i collect it.
Cheers.

Dear n9thx,
We keep the car for 5 days, that way we have time to fully
test it before giving it back to you and we know you wont
have any problems when you leave. Also that price is a cash
price, if you pay with card or whatnot then i have to charge
you the vat on top and we prefer to not have to do that.

- idealengines
jimGTS

Re: IDEAL ENGINES (Proof of tax evasion?)

Post by jimGTS »

Also shows they can't be confident the engines are good if they basically only want to take cash. Ie no way of getting back your money if things go wrong.

I'd say it's prob more to do with that than the vat thing.
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

there is a local garage round me who does it cheaper cash than by card, if i pay by card then it has to go through the books if cash then no one has to know. my local garage are not dodgy or anything it just puts more money in there pocket i would of thought and its also cheaper for me.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

JDM-MAT wrote:there is a local garage round me who does it cheaper cash than by card, if i pay by card then it has to go through the books if cash then no one has to know. my local garage are not dodgy or anything

Nothing dodgy about tax evasion? :mrgreen:

It's also cheaper for the if you don't pay by credit card, as the cc company take a percentage.
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

This is TRUE, lol
prb

Post by prb »

JohnnyC wrote:
JDM-MAT wrote:there is a local garage round me who does it cheaper cash than by card, if i pay by card then it has to go through the books if cash then no one has to know. my local garage are not dodgy or anything

It's also cheaper for the if you don't pay by credit card, as the cc company take a percentage.

CC's attract on average 1.8 to 2.5% charges, debit cards 25p. So its not a huge amount in charges.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

The CC company don't take 20% though.

I'd end up paying £2040 on CC with 100% protection or £1700 cash with no comeback.

think i'll give them a miss, unless anyone on here has anything positive to say about them, they may have changed their ways with time?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

I don't think the vat thing is proof of the quality of their work, however all is well and good for smaller jobs to save a bit, major work like this I would want some come back and guarantee.

There are a lot of garages out there who want the business, I would go with a recommendation from someone else who's used them for the same or similar work...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

JohnnyC wrote:

i never really thought about it like that, should I do anything about this garage"
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

JDM-MAT wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

i never really thought about it like that, should I do anything about this garage"

Not really, it's honest hard working people not wanting to line MPs (and other grossly overpaid government workers) pockets, but I never said that :-$
Fourveesix

Post by Fourveesix »

You might want to do something about "ideal engines" for the reason that theyre ripping off Mr2/japanese car owners with tired second hand engines with maybe new plugs and sprayed up to look nice.
Howd they test the gearboxes btw?
Needs to be done under load up to full power and speed/temperature, have they got a rolling road?
Nah, "looks ok mate".

http://www.fer.co.uk/fer/portal/main/?Section=FAQs

Dont forget they may well be reading all this too.
JDM-MAT

Post by JDM-MAT »

I agree with the above
Norledge

Post by Norledge »

Any idea where they are based?

Use to deal with a company called Heathrow Engines, very similar stories...

They ended up on BBC's watchdog :P
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Small end a common failure on these lumps eh?
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
fergieman

Post by fergieman »

Hello

Guess what , I too am having problems with IdealEngines.

I purchased a Mazda 6 engine from them - all was going fine , until my mechanic got the engine - he told me it was the wrong engine for my car - its was a Mazda engine - but something for an older model , a 323 , 626 - not my Mazda 6 (2006)

I rang them up and talked with Cameron and Tony - they both clamed that my mechanic didnt know what he was doing - he needs to change out the cam shaft , crank shaft and sump - my mechanic told me , that this was rubbish. I rang round a few other engines companies and they told me also that doing this work on the engine was rubbish - it should be pretty much a straight drop in.

I got Ideal Engines to pick up the engine and refund me my money.
They picked up the engine 1 day after I made this request (Tues 1 Feb) - and 1 month later Im still waiting on my refund of £1,100.

There was some problem putting the money back on to my CC.
Then they "posted" my a cheque by "registered" post - never arrived.
Then they transfered my money directly into account - that was 2 weeks ago. They send me through a receipt of payment , but I still havent received a penny. Ive been without a car since Jan - and it coming on 2 months. These guys (Tony) are cowboys. he keeps telling me my money is paid and that its a problem with the banks - he wont contact HSBC to get further proof - and all his account managers in HSBC are always "busy"

What I have found out about them :

Their bank accounts is held in HBSC bank in Waltamstow.
I have their sort code and bank account number (not sure If that will do me any good) - and there account is called " FAMEDALE LTD"

Ive just started the process of claiming my money back via my CC company.

I found them through the website 247spares.co.uk - I only went with them because their engine quote was around £200 cheaper than the next - and they seemed to know what they were on about (I know zip about cars! ) - if I had more cash I would of went with the middle of the road quote !!

I'll keep you posted.
Is there trading standards I can complain to as well ? Im from the ROI - so somewhere in the UK would be best.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

fergieman wrote:
I have their sort code and bank account number (not sure If that will do me any good) - and there account is called " FAMEDALE LTD"

FYI

FAMEDALE LTD shares a director with our old friends Nippon Spares, and have 3 outstanding CCJ's totalling £3685.00.

This might be useful with your CC company.
fergieman

Post by fergieman »

nikaiyo wrote:
fergieman wrote:

FYI

FAMEDALE LTD shares a director with our old friends Nippon Spares, and have 3 outstanding CCJ's totalling £3685.00.

This might be useful with your CC company.

Sorry fella - what does CCJ's Stand for ?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

fergieman wrote:Sorry fella - what does CCJ's Stand for ?

County court judgements. [-X
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
N9THX

Post by N9THX »

I had an email from Tony at IDEALENGINES saying how he'd read this post and was dissapointed at our pack animal mentality.
Delusional.
Fourveesix

Post by Fourveesix »

n9thx wrote:I had an email from Tony at IDEALENGINES saying how he'd read this post and was dissapointed at our pack animal mentality.
Delusional.

Probably from the Colonel Gaddafi school of Alternate Realities....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”