Gearbox issues/modern replacement?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wilderman

Gearbox issues/modern replacement?

Post by Wilderman »

Since owning my mk1b mr2 its made a slight crunch going in to second gear. Now im starting to get the same with 3rd gear so it wont be too much longer until it needs an overhaul/replacement. My question is, what can i do about it considering Toyota dont make the gearbox anymore? Ive looked around for used one's but there are a very few available plus theres no guarantee theyll be any better. Dont want to spend the time and money fitting it just to find the same issues. The best solution i can think of is to fit a more modern gearbox but are there any out there that would go in without major expense?
cartledge_uk

Re: Gearbox issues/modern replacement?

Post by cartledge_uk »

It depends on what you consider too much cash.

I paid £300 to have my gearbox refurbished and have a new diff fitted (I already had the gearbox out and provided the new diff).

You can expect to pay £25-£100 for a good used gearbox.

No other gearbox 'easily' fits without modification.

Some of the corolla box's fit, but then the ratios maybe wrong and you will need to modify the shifter linkage.
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Sounds like worn syncros it does happen but is not very common in the mk1 unless badly driven.

I suggest you learn to double declutch and change you gear box oil. That may stop it getting worse.

£50 for a used one should see you right for some time.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Might only be the bushings in the ends of your linkage cables
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

oukie wrote:Might only be the bushings in the ends of your linkage cables

Yep could be that too!

Modern alternative see:

Six Speed (C64) Mk1 conversion. Now with Jenvey ITBs thred
coanda

Post by coanda »

My car came with a 2nd gear issue aswell. It disappears when the box is fully warmed up. I changed the bushes at the box end and that hasn't helped so I've got new fluid for it. Hopefully get time to change it this weekend. Oh, this is an sc box with an lsd, so it isn't limited to the na box.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”